It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
(female)

karmais HB User
Talking out of one side of your mouth?

Anyone do this? Talk or speak more out of one side of their mouth than the other? I have always known that when I speak, only one side of my mouth *really* moves. The right side. The bad side: bad ear, bad head pain side.

I have recently noticed that when I wake up, I'm sleeping on the bad side, clenching on the bad side and my lower jaw is sorta deviated toward the right side, the bad side. This has gotta be some sort of cause (or symptom?) Do you think? It's not that this has started to happen lately, just that I've paid more attention to and *noticed* it lately.kwim? Anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
(female)

tealadyjudy111 HB User
Re: Talking out of one side of your mouth?

Hi, i too talk out of the side of my mouth. My left condle disc is worn away completely and my chin is a bit lopsided. Sometimes my words come out all wrong as well. Do you have this problem? take care Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2005, 03:16 AM   #3
(female)

karmais HB User

Perhaps I do have my words come out all wrong, I try so hard not too because I teach English/Literacy/Numeracy to adults. I have one particular mature student (in his 30s) who *notices* when I am bad. He used to be addcited to H and tried anti-depressants for a while. When I weaned off Zoloft during and after my ear vestibular infection I was a complete mess and he was the only person who noticed. When I bad, he notices and says stuff like "You're having a bad one today, bad head day aren't you?" and he is ALWAYS ALWAYS right.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
(male)

batlife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealadyjudy111 View Post
Hi, i too talk out of the side of my mouth. My left condle disc is worn away completely and my chin is a bit lopsided. Sometimes my words come out all wrong as well. Do you have this problem? take care Judy
I have this problem. I try to say some words n they come out slurred n stuff.. I also notice speaking throaugh my right side.. Have you ever yawned and pulled something in your throat? Bcus i have, and ever since icve had these problems..Left side of my throat is also always dry and when i swallow i feel a lump n a little pop.

Your response would be greatly appreciated..

Last edited by batlife; 09-10-2009 at 05:11 AM.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I have this too - my left side moves more than my right side - the pain and pressure all started on the left but I am told the problem is really on the right side. My teeth show more on the left than the right side too and like tealady my chin is pulled more toward one side - its kind of like both jaws have slightly rotated toward one side beneath my facial skin - even my tongue seems off center.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
(female)

StillHope HB User

I have these kinds of asymmetry too. In my case the height was severely lost unevenly - I need much more on one side than on the other. I do have a worn out disk on one side too.
However, when I tried for a short time the temps balanced on the sides my face looked very symmetric. I could hardly believe it's the same face within few minutes.
In my case the bad disk is on the left, the skew made in my bite used to be on the left which is what caused the disk damage, and the pains started and were mostly on the right.
But this is where I lost the VDO lately which caused a real trouble.
I strongly believe that the bite is crucial for causing or not causing tmj problems.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #7
(female)

AndreaL HB User

Hi I can't relate to the speaking out of one side of my mouth but I can most definitely relate to the asymmetry, unfortunately every dentist I see always tell me I'm the worst case of asymmetry they've seen, great! Really boosts my confidence when I get told that!
My lower jaw deviates to my right but the pain and click in my jaw is from my left, I've been told it's because the left side is having to compensate for my 'wonky' face and the muscles ache so much from constantly trying to pull my jaw back into line.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaL View Post
Hi I can't relate to the speaking out of one side of my mouth but I can most definitely relate to the asymmetry, unfortunately every dentist I see always tell me I'm the worst case of asymmetry they've seen, great! Really boosts my confidence when I get told that!
My lower jaw deviates to my right but the pain and click in my jaw is from my left, I've been told it's because the left side is having to compensate for my 'wonky' face and the muscles ache so much from constantly trying to pull my jaw back into line.
I affectionately call my face "The house that Jack Built" .....I wish I could send you my x-ray, front view, I bet I could compete w-you on that ..LOL..
Later----J..

Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
(female)

AndreaL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
I affectionately call my face "The house that Jack Built" .....I wish I could send you my x-ray, front view, I bet I could compete w-you on that ..LOL..
Later----J..
Lol, at least I'm not alone! I get paranoid when I think peope notice and I see them staring at me trying to figure out what's 'different' about me, sometimes if someone is being rude and staring endlessly I bluntly point it out to them just stop them from looking. I manage to hide it though when I wear my hair down.

Has your face always been asymmetrical or did you only notice it from a certain age?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
(female)

StillHope HB User

I don't have the asymmetry all the time b/c I can remove my temps and thus free the jaw and bite differently (mostly in the air by my conscious effort of doing it properly).
But when I had some temps which were making a severe skew to the left my face looked like the nose was going diagonally to the right and the two lines from under the nose to the upper lip were diagonally to the left. It looked like the face was "broken" somehow.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
(female)

leelees1 HB User

My partner woke up this morning and the right side of his face doesnt work. Im terrified. He was told that it could possibly be a nerve in his neck due to the fact he always falls asleep sitting up. Everytime I see him I always lay him down correctly as I know this is not good for him. His eye will not stop watering as well. He has never had any issues with anything like this ever before. Could this have anything to do with allergies? We live in Arizona. Any comment or suggestions would be very much appreciated. What should we do? Help I am really scared for him. Thanks leann

Last edited by leelees1; 07-26-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: phrase was incomplete

Closed Thread