It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

Traciedee HB User
Unhappy issues with tmj resurfacing

I was diagnosed with TMJ in 1993. I was fitted with an appliance for my bottom teeth. I still have the appliance today. My pop has always been very audible to everyone and it is my left side that bothered me. Well, last year following a refill of a 28 year old filling...the dentist fractured my tooth and the only way to stop the pain was to have it pulled. What was odd was my TMJ virtually disappeared! No more popping or tension for the remainder of the year.....UNTIL......
Last week! I was chewing on a Brach's caramel (no disrespect or blame involved here by any means) and I bit down on that side of my mouth. I grinded the caramel between teeth and my jaw shifted in a VERY BAD position. I immediately stopped in my tracks and clutched the side of my jaw. It throbbed. However, when I went to bed that night, the whole left side of my face was throbbing and I was unable to open my mouth more than one finger width. It would get to that point and it would feel as though a rubberband was twisted beyond it's limits and forcing my mouth shut again. Nothing helps it!
Could this be my TMJ acting up all over again...only worse? I was always annoyed by the pesky pop and the way you could feel it in my jaw was pretty scary. but other than an occassional headache, it didn't bother me this much. It has been a week now and nothing helps...heat or cold, antiinflammatories. Waking up in the moring is very hard. I feel off balance and the whole left side of my face feels like someone slammed me in the face with a baseball bat. Is it possible to just SPRAIN a jaw????? Or should I be concerned that I now have a newer and improved miserable TMJ happening here? ARRRGH, please advise of your opinion!
Thank you for your time!
Tracie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 06:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: issues with tmj resurfacing

Get to your tmj dentist. You obviously threw something out of wrack and your muscles are spasming and tight. Keep us posted.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

Traciedee HB User
Re: issues with tmj resurfacing

Thank you for the advice.....I was hoping to hear that sprains in the jaw are possible being a joint and all. I am still without the pop, which is what has me baffeled. Apparently, my Maxiofacial surgeon said my tooth that was pulled could have been thowing my bite off and that is why the clicking and popping occured. So I was excited to leave that dreaded disorder behind! Was growing depressed that this could be TMJ over again. This morning, it feels a little better. Possibly spasms like you suggested! The tight feeling you mentioned fits the description perfectly
Thank you for your help!

Closed Thread