It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
PLEASE HELP..dont know what to do!

Hello,
I have several posts on here..my name is Tina and I am 38 yrs old. I suffered badly 2 years ago from tmj..I wore my splint for one year and then for the last year only at night....and was doing fabulous! BUT now about 1 month ago I did alot of extreme work on a house we are building and started haviang minor back pain and tmj pain...I have been going to my physical therapist and wearing splint now full time..it helps some...I know over doing it can cause problems..but I need real answers from people who know about this condition! I went to another dentist who swears I should now wear an NTI ...I tried it for 2 nights and it really didnt seem to help...I just dont know what to do...I am having panic attacks now because of all this pain....My neck hurts...I dont have the typical tmj headache...just hurts when I chew or talk alot...I have muscle spasms, etc..and funny tingles up my head and down my arms at times....I cannot do any type of household chore....or drive...please help me...I honest to God dont know where to turn...or who to trust...I am fearful that this tmj is coming back slowly...IS it possible for tmj to "come back" after being so successfully treated?? THe other dentist who treated me and made my splint wont see me now becuase I went and got a second opinion when he told me I needed all of my teeth crowned one year ago...now I need serious help before this gets any worse!!!! THanks so much for any advice...I have 2 kids who need a mom! Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User
Re: PLEASE HELP..dont know what to do!

I think i have posted once before, but i'll say it again. Dont go to a dentist when your having TMJ problems. especially if its soemthing that you have been dealing with for a long time. An oral surgeon will obviosly know more about that then a dentist would. Just because the Dr. is called an oral Surgeon doesnt mean strictly surgery. My doctor says surgery is a last priority. I have a splint, and honestly it bothers me more than helps. When i put it in, i definitally feel pressure taken away from my head and jaw and neck, but after a while i have to take it out becuase it hurts. So, if i were you, I would check with an oral surgeon. and if a Doctor refuses to treat you because you got a second opinion then that is a red flag for never going back to him. You should never be refused treatment becasue you got another opinion. He obviosuly just wanted your money.... ANYWAY....call a surgeon especially if it is making you incapable of living a normal healthy life. Also you mentioned panic attacks and stuff, if they dont go away, you should try checking into going to a psychiatrist or your family doctor to get onto an anti anxiety medicine. Paxil CR works wonders for panic/anxiety disorders...Of course there are millions of things to chose from. But thats just my opinion....I hope I shined a little light for you, if not, i'm sure it will come. Hope everything goes well, and again I really dont think you should go back to the Dr. that refused treatment..

Old 09-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #3
Inactive

tina1966 HB User

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely take your advice..My physical therapist recommended an oral surgeon in the next town so I will call them Tuesday morning and see about getting in. I was on xanax and paxil CR before and it helped me alot..guess I'll be on them again soon...I am still not sure my jaw is out of joint or not...can that oral surgeon tell for sure? Do they have equipment, etc? I suppose they would. I just cant believe I am dealing with this again..and I then what gets me nervous is the thought of dealing with this for the rest of my life..I just want to live a normal happy life with my family. And I will not go back to that dr who refused me...It's just hard trying to figure out who to go to for real help that works and where they dont just want your money...its frustrating for sure. Again..thank you for your help..it means alot. God Bless you. Tina

Old 09-03-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

Well i am 19 years old, and i've had this since i was in 6th 7th grade...I dont remember my age then lol Of course the surgeon will know whats wrong, it could be as simple as getting an x-ray done. If that doesnt show your joint very good then they may give you an MRI. Not bad at all! well unless you are chlostraphobic...that could be a good time to use that xanax lol.....I know that when my disk dislocates, i have a hard time opening and its really painful. and when it does slip i would compare it to a rubber band snapping followed by extreme pain. Unfortunitally, my Doctor told me that I will have this problem forever i just need to find a way to manage it.. it sucks but this was the card i was dealt. Definitally go to a surgeon, and he/she will guide you the rest of the way...and I've found that mine at least is very understanding and concerned about taking steps to making me better. I hope the surgeon you find is a good one! It sucks getting a bad doctor! well good luck!

Old 09-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Inactive

tina1966 HB User

Hi,
Bless your heart! To get this so young...I am sorry to hear that. I am glad you seem to be doing well. This hit me after I got a wisdom tooth pulled, I had never heard of TMJ until 2 years ago. It does suck...but I know what you mean about "managing it" , I tried to forget I had it and maybe thats why I am in this position again..dont know...anyway...I will let you know next week how I fare with an oral surgeon. If he doesnt work out I will be back at UK here in Ky....I went last year for that second opinion...they were great..just hate to make another trip ya know? Its far from where I live..I am in Western Ky. Thanks again for your help! Take Care! Tina

Old 09-04-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
(female)

VA-GAL HB User

I think telling someone not to go to a dentist is really incorrect information. Not all dentists are the same. I see a DMD, who is a dentist, and an MD. He specializes in pain management and treating TMJ. I think some of the best people to treat TMJ are DENTISTS. You just need to find the right ones. You can find highly competent dentists by searching the websites of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain and the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain. Each website gives you a place to put in your state where you live and will provide you with a list of dentists in your area. Once you get the list of practioners, start doing your research on them. Look for ones that devote at least half of their practice to treating TMJ patients. THat way you are not going to be some dentist's guinea pig, who just took some weekend seminar on treating TMJ, and wants to try out his new techniques on YOU!

I think your original treating doc is being extremely petty by not seeing you again because you sought a second opinion. What an ego on him. You are probably better off not seeing him anyways. His ego is always going to get in the way of your best interests.

I do think TMJ can come back after seemingly being gone for a period of time. Mine has never gone away, so I do not know this first hand. But I do know certain activities can set off a worse flare up. I am sorry you are going through this again. WHile you are trying to get in and see someone, try ice packs or heat, which ever you prefer, and take it easy. Maybe your primary care doc could help you out with some muscle relaxers to help get things under control. It sounds like your muscles are in spasm.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you soon

Va gal

Old 09-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Inactive

tina1966 HB User

Hi Val Gal,
Thanks for your reply. I do know what you mean about dentists knowing about tmj..the one who treated me last also specialized in it...he has a whole wing of his office dedicated to treating tmj...no one else here where I live does...so ..I have to try the oral surgeon..I just need to see if my jaw is out of place again...then take further steps...I really dont think it is...it only hurts when I chew for awhile and only if my neck is hurting..if my neck is not hurting when I chew then I have no pain anywhere..its really weird....I did try muscle relaxers..didnt even touch it...so...I am taking leftover xanax from before for this pain..somehow it just really helps it.....I am due to go to doc to get more and possibley get back on paxil too. THanks again for your reply!
Take Care! Tina

Old 09-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

dobisz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina1966
Hello,
I have several posts on here..my name is Tina and I am 38 yrs old. I suffered badly 2 years ago from tmj..I wore my splint for one year and then for the last year only at night....and was doing fabulous! BUT now about 1 month ago I did alot of extreme work on a house we are building and started haviang minor back pain and tmj pain...I have been going to my physical therapist and wearing splint now full time..it helps some...I know over doing it can cause problems..but I need real answers from people who know about this condition! I went to another dentist who swears I should now wear an NTI ...I tried it for 2 nights and it really didnt seem to help...I just dont know what to do...I am having panic attacks now because of all this pain....My neck hurts...I dont have the typical tmj headache...just hurts when I chew or talk alot...I have muscle spasms, etc..and funny tingles up my head and down my arms at times....I cannot do any type of household chore....or drive...please help me...I honest to God dont know where to turn...or who to trust...I am fearful that this tmj is coming back slowly...IS it possible for tmj to "come back" after being so successfully treated?? THe other dentist who treated me and made my splint wont see me now becuase I went and got a second opinion when he told me I needed all of my teeth crowned one year ago...now I need serious help before this gets any worse!!!! THanks so much for any advice...I have 2 kids who need a mom! Tina

Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

dobisz HB User

Hi TMJ doesnt have to be a big problem [Removed advertising and personal contact information.]

[Please read the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. We do not allow free advertising. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 09-12-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

dobisz HB User

TMJ is treatible very easy with Acupuncture. [Removed email address.]

[Please do not list any personal contact information, including email addresses. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 09-12-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

dobisz HB User

Dont suffer from TMJ anymore, treatment is very effective and you may need 3-5 sessions to be pain free. [Removed medical professional reference.]

[This is a peer support board. Please do not identify yourself as a medical professional. Please read the board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 09-12-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Tell me how does accupuncture help tmj? Are you specially trained in tmj or is any accupuncturist able to help?

Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #13
(female)

marcap HB User

I just had 3 sessions of acupuncture and it did nothing for me. So everyone's different.

Closed Thread