It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #1
(female)

laskalady HB User
Just diagnosed with TMJ Help!! Scared!

Hey everyone, I'm soooo glad this board is here. I'm 25 yrs old and I just found out about my TMJ. I was always waking up with like jaw tightness and it felt off track. Finally I wen to the doctor whn my jaw was popping when and getting stuck when I ate!!
I was a bit worried if I really do have TMJ b/c I have absolutely no pain in my jaw...but all of the other symptoms match perfectly.

Does anyone else have TMJ w/o pain?

I also only have the problem on the left side of my face. Is this going to progress to the right side also?

I would always wake up with a headache on the left side of my head... is it correct that this could be b/c of the TMJ?

Does anyone have suggestions that go beyond the booklet that has helped ease this problem?
I know I should have asked the doctor all of this, but Im just barely finding out how this problem works. I really need some advice from other ppl dealing with this. I feel so bad b/c I cant chew..or open my mouth to yawn or anything!! I'm totally scared this wont go away! Please help!

Old 09-06-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
Inactive

tina1966 HB User
Re: Just diagnosed with TMJ Help!! Scared!

Hi there,
I totally understand your being scared and am sorry you are dealing with this. I am 38, 2 years ago I was hit with this after having a wisdom tooth pulled and went through hell until got better. See a dentist or oral surgeon who deals with tmj ALOT..have your tmj joint xrayed....a splint or NTI may be made for you to help your joint/bite...The main thing is to have your joint examined immediately!! It can get bad and fast....Mine was so severe I thought there was no help for me...but after one year I got better...also I had to go to physical therapy for the pain in my neck and back it causes...also...get the book "Taking Control of TMJ" IT saved my life...TMJ affects your whole body...it can...and in my case it did. Doc's thought I had Lupus or MS before I got diagnosed. Please try to calm down and the main thing is to find a great dentist to help you...also...my tmj doc had all the equipment needed to judge my bite monthly until it was better. EDUCATE yourself now!! THere is so much to tmj. I will say a prayer for you and hope you get help soon. Also,,I had to get on xanax and paxcil...becuase I had a panic attack after 2 months of the pain, etc., the drugs helped the pain too for some reason. See a doctor too about that if you have alot of anxiety...for anxiety makes it worse. I am having a rebout with mine just because I overexerted myself...but am doing better now with physical therapy on my neck and back....Please take care and feel free to ask me anything you want! GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!! Tina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

meditation HB User

Hi, I read your post and just wanted to add a couple of things.
I totally agree with Tina. The main thing is to educate yourself. And, when I was diagnosed, there was no internet...So, educate, educate educate.

Technically, everyone has TMJ. That's the name of the joint. Those of us on the board are diagnosed with disorders of the TMJ. And, yes, it is totally possible to have TMJ disorder with no pain. I did so for 11 years. So, have others.

The main thing is..is to educate yourself. And, by all means, whatever treatment you may do (now and in the future), the key is to stick with non invasive procedures. Moist heat, ice, tens therapy, massage, accupuncture, chiropractic.

I believe it can definitely be managed. And, stress and anxiety can make it worse. Anytime stress or anxiety hits, the muscles in your face tighten up...clenching and bruxism. This is not good for anyone's TMJ.

Try taking up yoga or meditation. This definitely helps relax muscles. And, yes, altering one's diet may seem like a pain; but, it can help. I haven't chewed gum in almost 15 years. Prior to my recent injury, if I wanted an apple, I would cut it up.

It's just about protecting your joint and your muscles.

And, as Tina said, find a doctor who is knowledgeable about TMJ. Not all of them are. Not all of them know what they are doing.

Education is power when it comes to this disorder

For me, my problem has eclipsed to the point where I need a bilateral total joint replacement, at 30yrs old. I say this to just reiterate one point. Stick to non invasive things.

Take care,
meditation

Last edited by meditation; 09-06-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
(female)

laskalady HB User

Thanx Sooo Much For Your Replies. I'm So Glad There Are Ppl Out There Who Know What Im Going Through And Who Can Offer Good Advice As You Boht Have Done. I Will Be Sure To Check Into Getting A Doctor Who Deals With This Disorder In Particular. I've Also Noticed The Dentist And The Doctor I've Gone To Dont Know Much About It. Thanx So Much Again!

Closed Thread