It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
TMJ flare up

hi - im new to this particular board...
I've had TMJ forever (im 30).. i sleep with a bite plate so i dont grind etc..
I recently had an endoscopy... I was really stressed about it. They put something in my mouth to protect my teeth, which i know I bit down healily on when i was under cause I was so stressed... and by being so stressed and having my jaw clenched, i know I did something to set off my TMJ.
its been a week and my jaw on the right side is killing me. The first few days after my procdure, my jaw was so sore i couldnt open it more than two fingers thick... now I can open it all the way, slowly, but it hurts on that side to chew or touch. I was suppose to go to the dentist for a cleaning but i cant keep my mouth open that long right now.
What do i need to do? my general doctor told me to take Aleve... but i cant take those meds for another week cause of my endoscopy. I feel like if I could take a muscle relaxer or something it would help untense those muscles.
anyhow - any advice is appreciated. Ive never had a flare up last this long so Im not sure what to do. maybe go to my dentist and get it checked out?
thanks!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
(female)

stac HB User
Re: TMJ flare up

Hi, I have had tmj for several years. I am now 38 with new bridges in the past 2 years. I have had enoscope done also 2 weeks ago. It is a breeze my Dr gives ver cid which is a amnesia drug. It was great. I have an appliance but the pressure it causes the next morning is terrible. My balance has been off for seven years. Its not everday, but if anyone suggests steroid injections in your joints my reccommendation is DON"T DO IT! I had them 2 months ago and I am worse. My jaw feels really tight. I have difficulty swallowing. Been to 2 ENT's. For second opinion, neurologist, gastro, etc. It keeps coming back to my jaw. My ears are full sometimes, my neck seem to be the issue now. Sometimes it feels like I cannot swallow properly. I have headaches on my right side way to much! Again, brain, eeg, cervical, and tmj mri all ok. They say I clench, I say thats true however I have always clenched since I was little. Why all of the sudden is it worse? Shots I never will tell my worst enemy to get them. Well I wish you alot of luck like everyone will. I take zanaflex its a small dose and anxiety pill buspar but I don't like the way it makes me feel.I feel like giving up. Maybe if anyone reads this reply they will let me know if they have heard of the balance problem and the diff swallowing. Best Wishes, Stac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

Sircatnip HB User

Hi
Thanks for the advice about the steroid injections. I was wondering about doing this myself - but had been having second thoughts about it. I know what you mean about wanting to give up, but I try to remember that things could always be worse - I could have cancer, a brain tumor, etc. something a lot worse than my TMJ disorder. Also, I do have headaches in my left temple, but clenching does make them worse.
It's just a relief knowing there is someone else out there that can relate.
I wish you well,
Lisa

Old 09-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I have the same thing, ears and neck stiffness. I have been using a splint since June and I'm ready for a 2nd opinion. It just drives you nuts- I know the feeling , some days I feel at my wits end. I wish I had some answers.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
(female)

Miss L HB User

Hi all i dont understand what you mean by a tmj flare up my pain is with me constantly day in day out i have teeth pain ear pain floor of my mouth hurts my eyes water i have had this for a year now!

Miss L

Closed Thread