It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

Jules79 HB User
Eating w/TMJ

How do you eat with TMJ? I can't figure out if this pain will go away. I was just diagnosed...really scared

Old 01-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
(female)

lorratt HB User
Re: Eating w/TMJ

With great difficulty, soft diet only, soup, mashed fruit veg. Nothing very exciting. Helps to keep the weight off anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
(female)

Jules79 HB User

Greaat! I had a feeling you were going to say that. Too bad, maybe this is Gods way of telling me to stop eating CRAP. LOL.
Thanks

Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User

ive been on a soft diet for 4 months now and I really don't crave "regular" food anymore. I did really bad for the first month or so, but now you just get used to eating soft stuff. i have also found how to chop some foods up into really small pieces to where you dont have to chew at all. I know the "ins and outs" of a soft food diet. I eat yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce, peanut butter and jelly mixed together, soups, any kind of pastas that you can chop up really small and just swallow, mashed potatoes and along the potato line, you can mash french fries up in ketchip and mix it together... looks nasty but tastes good. Nutrigrain bars are also good-- you dont have to chew and they are extremely soft. Also when I went home over Christmas, I found that casseroles were good. Broccoli, cheese and rice ones.... you'd be suprised at how much you can eat without having to chew. It took me a while to figure out whats good and whats not, but I find stuff everyday. You just have to be creative. I manage to maintain a somewhat healthy diet. I try not to eat a lot of ice cream and fatty foods. To get protein in, eat peanut butter or soups such as chicken noodle. Also I found that crackers such as goldfish dissolve in your mouth. Theres lots of options out there, you just have to be creative! You can do it. If you have any more questions about food, ask them here and I can answer them!

Old 01-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

lorratt HB User

I do not eatany dairy products apart from eggs and i cant cope with pasta what suggestions do you have for me then. lorratt

Old 01-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
(female)

Jules79 HB User

What also is helping me now is cherrios and I am just sucking on them till they dissolve. Hey it works!

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
(female)

Some other things I can think about are oatmeal and if you're from the south like me , grits are good. Beans such as lima beans, black beans, green beans(cooked long and slow to where they are soft), and basically any other kind of bean cooked long to where you can smash them up and just swallow them. tuna is also a good thing. you can get canned tuna and cut it into tiny pieces and swallow it. It has lots of protein and is good for you. It takes a long time to eat that way, but its what you gotta do jello is not very filling, but it tastes good! also there is lots you can do with soup... i put goldfish in tomato soup, which is good. Also maybe some rice that you can just swallow. I mix mashed potatoes and rice and beans sometimes. A personal favorite of mine is really soft italian bread and you can just pull small pieces off and dip it in spaghetti sauce... very good!
I will keep thinking over the things I eat and let you know new stuff. I try new and different combinations of food everyday and try to get a variety in, haha!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
(female)

oh yeah, and if you really get desperate... baby food. I ate some of that for a while-- not very tasty, but hey!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
(female)

jennet123 HB User

Me too, I can't eat any diary produce or anything with flavourings as I have a lactose intolerance. I want to the hospital today for pre checks for my op in two weeks where I am having bi-lateral tmj replacements and when I mentioned my special diet they were a bit bemused and I had to write a list of the things I thought I could eat so they can ask the dietician to instruct the kitchens on what to cook for me!

From someone who is fed up with food these days as I don't seem to be able to get much!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
(female)

lorratt HB User

The dietician prescribed some fruit flavoured drinks for me, which were awful, even after disguising the taste with proper fruit juice and ice you could still taste the awfulness, cant remember what they were called it will come back to me.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #11
(female)

jennet123 HB User

They did mention so fruit flavoured drinks which are lactose free but I remember someone else said they tasted disgusting! I am hoping that they are able to give me some soya products else I will get my family and friends to bring me food into the hospital. its bad enough just trying to get over the surgery without having my stomach all over the place - and vomiting after replacement joints I presume is not recommended!

Any other ideas will be gratefully received - thanks

Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
(female)

cyndi627 HB User

What are bi-lateral tmj replacements? sounds scarey? what specifically is your issue that you're having this done?

Old 01-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #13
(female)

jennet123 HB User

I have oestoparosis (don't know if I've spelt that right) and the actual tmj joints are crumbling. I am having both sides replaced with concept joints within the next two weeks.

I am in constant pain, have a very restricted opening and my bite is all over the place. So this op is a last resort!

Closed Thread