It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
(male)

trancegemini HB User
I need advice on if i may have TMJ and where to go from here im lost Please

Hello,
i am a 23 year old male. I have had depression and anxiety from 14 and been on meds for them. I am on effexor xr 300mg, klonopin 1 mg 2 times a day, ambien for sleep. Synthroid .05mg, remeron 30mg 2x day, tricor 140mg, and prevacid 30mg for an ulcer. This also makes motrin 800mg hurt my stomach sometimes I throw up. Due to so many diff meds I have been on (been on a lot) I have had very bad dry mouth. I didn't see a dentist till like 6 months ago. I lost about 4 teeth in the lower back side of my mouth on both sides wisdom teeth also. I also lost about two teeth on each side on the top. The other teeth where saved. I have no coverage for root canals. I was fine until 2 months ago I had a bad bad tooth and my dentist could not remove it so he got it half out and then I went right away to an oral surgeon. Then 2-3 weeks after the tooth next to it split and had to be removed along with a root tip from the last split tooth and left over root tip I had removed.( also both these teeth where fused to the bone ) I started to get a headache really bad when he was almost done. I have bad pain from my right side of the jaw up into the ear and bad headaches that don't go away. Motrin 800mg is not helping. I have had about 5 scripts for vicodin from the oral surgeon to get rid of the pain ( from the 3 surgeries I have had and a dry socket I smoke). He said I looked like I might be a drug seeker cause I went to see him so much and said go to the dentist I think you need another tooth pulled ( he took x-rays and saw a cavity under the filling ) and I wont help you with the pain anymore because I am afraid of the fda and I am acting like I am a drug seeker and i'm not! The 5 scripts for like 12-20 pills each time with 2 scripts having refills are over about a month and a half before and while I had the headache. The root tip he took out 2-3 weeks ago was from the tooth the dentist could not get out and the oral surgeon did half of it for him. I had bad ear pain from that and they reopened it and flushed it out and re stitched it without x-rays. The only way the found the root tip was left in was when I went in for the split tooth next to it. I had asked for x-rays when I went in about the pain before he re opened the socked and he didn't do any so he never found the root tip till after the one tooth split. Also due to the extreme amount of bad teeth I had my dentist also gave me like 5-6 scripts over six months and has now said he cant help . I just lost that tooth the bad one yesterday and i'm in bad pain still headache and jaw pain that goes up to my ear ( gave me 8 tylenol 3 but they did very little to help maybe 25%). Tylenol also seems to do nothing. I told my oral surgeon and asked if I could have tmj he said "i don't know" and sent me on my way. My dentist said if I still have pain go to the oral surgeon again but he doesn't want to help as he says he sees no problem except for the tooth that I just had pulled but I have not spoken with him after it got pulled.. He is the only oral surgeon that takes my medicaid around. Same with the dentist I feel like i'm dirty and in shame for how bad they think I am. I told them just get rid of the pain and I wont need to ask for meds. What do I do the doctor my regular doctor says he cant help cause he is not a dentist. Do I sound like I am doing something wrong the pain is so bad I mean before 2 months ago I had bad pain but this is nothing like that I cant sleep good at all. Also all my other front teeth that where saved had about 3 cavities in them each. So that is like 24 cavities in the past 6 months ( most where filled in 2 visits ) I have had filled. However those teeth are fine thank god. My dentist said he had never seen a case like mine before and invited all the staff to see because I was 23 and to young for this. He told me my meds caused dry month and I should not be this bad. He told me to try and change meds but I cant. I almost sure medicaid does not cover tmj treatment. Do I sound like I could have it I would like some advice. It hurts to chew on the side where my jaw hurts but no jaw clicking or no pain when I open my jaw. I see and understand from what I have read online that vicodin are not the best choice for tmj and I understand but what do you do when nothing else helps and the doctors aren't fixing the problem any other way. I'm scared very scared now that I feel shunned and that I really have no hope. My pain on a scale from 1-10 I feel is like a 8. Thanks for any advice you can give

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
(male)

GoodThings HB User
Re: I need advice on if i may have TMJ and where to go from here im lost Please

Hello,
Go get a tomogram of your joints from your general practitioner or from a dentist. Then do a search for "Gelb 4/7" If your joints are not within the "Gelb 4/7" vicinity, then you have a problem.
With so much tooth loss, you might have it but not really sure. i guess you have to seek a competent dentist (which is usually the hard part) to have a proper diagnosis.

GT

Old 01-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles...the only thing i can tell you is my experience.

Jaw pain with ear pain and headaches is very common. The TMJ joint is so close to the ear that if there is any inflammation in the joint it will more often than not cause ear pain. I know what you mean that OTC medicines dont seem to cut it. I too have that problem. the only thing i found that helped somewhat was Aleve. But it doesnt help anymore. One of the first things you should get done ( i dont know if you already do have these or not ) see if your insurance would cover getting your teeth capped or even false teeth or bridges. Creating a balance in your teeth will help a lot. it will relieve the tension and headaches. Once your teeth are in alignment, if you are still having trouble, try another surgeon. even if its out of the town and explain the pain and ask for x-rays. although i think you need a referrel to go to an oral surgeon. But its worth it and even if you have to change dentists within your insuracne plan it might end up being for the better. Get an x-ray and an MRI done to make sure that you do or dont have TMJ. There is a disk of cartilege i believe thats what it is that is within the TMJ joint that can become dislocated. thats what was wrong with me, my disk was completely dislocated and i couldnt hardly open my mouth, pain was so terrible that i wouldnt hardly eat and i began losing weight. so like i said, first see what you can do with your insurance and start with maybe changing dentists or somethign then get your teeth aligned and corrected. if that doesnt help move to the surgeon and take it from there. If your doctors are unwilling to work with you you always have other options. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
(female)

jblakney HB User

I would say that since you have had so many problems with your teeth, I would just have the rest pulled and go with dentures. I have severe TMJ and I am having to do braces all over again because my bite is a "cross bite" meaning my bottom teeth do not meet correctly with my top teeth. I would suggest braces, but since you have already lost so many teeth already, you would probably just be better off going the false teeth route. Hope this helps ya!!!

Old 01-23-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

laskalady HB User

EverSoSweet,

Did you ever get your joint back in place and if so by what means?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

laskalady-

Yes, I had surgery for it. It was a long time ago. They placed the disk where it was supposed to be but my joint is permanitely damaged. there is a part of my jaw that should be rounded but becuase i went so long with my disk misplaced it was rubbing bone on bone and it is now squared as if someone took a file and filed it down. After the surgery like at random times, well after it, my disk would slip out again but rather than staying out it would go back in in a couple days. you know it goes out becuase it hurts and sounds like a rubber band snapping. it was painful but also really scary. and it happened becuase i yawned. If that happens it usually puts itself back in place after a couple days. I still have clicking in my jaw but most of the time it doesnt hurt and my Dr. said if theres sound without pain its ok. Although the cold weather aggrivates it so much. so yeah my surgery was worth it since it took most of the pain away and i could open my mouth and eat but it still bothers me but my teeth also are crooked in the back and that could be why.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
(female)

laskalady HB User

how long was yours out of place? mine has been out of place for 5 mos. now

Old 02-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
(female)

Ever So Sweet HB User

sorry it took so long to respond...computer problems...anyway, mine was out of place for about a year or a little over a year. my mom didnt believe me that i was in actual pain even though i was losing weight and holding my mouth closed as best i could when i yawned, I had and still have this fear or my jaw locking open..., so yeah it was out for a looong time. and it was very painful and i was in constant pain. it never seemed to stop and i was to the point where i didnt eat any meats really becuase they were harder for me to eat. i did get my surgery and can eat basically anything i want. although some things i eat i'm sorry for afterwards because it will hurt but its nothing compared to the dislocation. Are you seeing a surgeon? or what exactly are you doing or having done with your jaw?

Closed Thread