It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
(female)

EvonneMCFC HB User
Burning gums

Hi all

Does anyone suffer with a burning sensation in the gums. Firstly I had it on my left side and I thought it was toothache due to a chipped tooth through clenching. I went to the dentist and had it filled etc..... But now it has started on the right side of my mouth. When I swill salt water I get some sort of relief but then the pain comes back and I can't bear it. Someone has suggested magnesium but when I asked my doctor over this he said he has never heard of any proof of this. I have also noticed it is worse during my menstrual cycle, does this have any link.

Any advice mostly appreciated

Evonne

Old 02-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #2
(female)

EvonneMCFC HB User
Re: Burning gums

Hi All

Just a follow up, went to the dentist and he said he couldn't see anything wrong with my gums or the tooth which was extremely painful (hot & cold sensitivity and when biting down) he prescribed some corsodyl mouthwash for me. Rinsed my mouth only 3 times yesterday with it and guess what woke up this morning and the burning sensation has finally gone. The tooth is still slightly sore but not as bad, so all I can gather is that the clenching of teeth was causing this. But one thing what has annoyed me is when I went to the dentist only 3 weeks ago he extracted 2 teeth (1 wisdom tooth and one of my molars) where as I am thinking now could these teeth of been saved because I was getting the exact same pain with the tooth on the other side which the dentist said was nothing wrong with it.

Has anyone else suffered like this....ie phantom tooth pain due to clenching and having unnecessary work done and to find the problem is still there?

BTW......I would recomend anyone who suffers with burning gums is to try a mouthwash because it worked wonders on me.

Take care all

Evonne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
(female)

s.g. HB User
Unhappy Re: Burning gums

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. I have been in major pain for quite some time. It started after I had a veneer put on my front tooth. The tooth was damaged in childhood, had calcified and discolored. My dentist suggested a veneer. Since this time my gums hurt, my tooth also hurts now. My dentist could not figure it out so he suggested I see an endo. This lady is very nice. She said I probably had inflamed tissue. SHe said even though my tooth was calcified I still had nerves inside that could be inflamed. I had the root canal done on Monday. I am in even more pain than I was before the procedure. I am at my wits end. I have been prescribed a antibiotic and steroids. I am supposed to take them for a few says and see how I feel. Write now I could pull me tooth and cut my gum out. Anyways, sorry you have to hear all that. I just need to vent b/c of the constant pain. I need help and don't know where to turn. I am interested in the mouthwash you suggested. Is it prescription or can I buy it straight from the shelf. I am desperate for an end to this. Also I clenching my teeth day and night, but I don't clench my front. I don't believe I grind. I wondering if any of this is linked. Sorry to carry on. Just need someone to talk with. Thanks for listening and please respond if you can help.

Thanks,

s.g.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
(female)

EvonneMCFC HB User

Hi

I am so sorry you are in pain, I know the feeling, sometimes I could bang my head against a brick wall it hurts that much sometimes. Mine is also due to clenching of teeth, as I have had xrays of tmj joints etc......and everything seemed fine they said it was all musclular related.

The mouthwash I think you can purchase over the counter, I am from the UK so don't know wether it would be different, if your from another country. The mouthwash has chlorhexidine digluconate for bleeding gums, irritated gums and mouth ulcers. I should imagine with clenching teeth it has irritated my gums and maybe thats why it gives relief.

Let me know, I would like to keep talking to help each other get through this awful TMJ mess.

Take Care
Evonne

Old 02-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
(male)

Rawspice HB User

I am also from the u.k. Like you I have only had X-rays done, I was told my tmj was caused by grinding. But most people on this forum seem to think that a x-ray isn't good enough and that you need an MRI to really see if there is any damage. I have had tmj for about 6 years now and have a lot of pain but the dentists in the u.k have not even mentioned having a MRI, it seems to be something they do in america more. so I am thinking of asking for a MRI soon, if you have pain in the future you should maybe suggest about having a MRI as well.

I have also had phantom tooth pain, I had four wisdom teeth removed. I have had a really sore gum in the past but it isn't too bad at the moment. When I brush my teeth I have to do it really softly or the pain can start up and last for day's. My sore gum is where my last wisdom tooth is so I thought it might have something to do with that but the dentists told me it isn't. But you only to read story's on this forum to see that dentists do get it wrong sometimes about wisdom teeth. Anyway I'm pleased you are feeling better and I hope the mouth wash continues to work for you!

Old 04-09-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
(female)

tealadyjudy111 HB User

Hi Rawspice and Evonne, Ive just read your posts and noticed that you were both from the Uk.I live in Cardiff and have been looking for people from the uk for quite a while. Im 54 and waiting (still) for double jaw implants and have so far seen 3 TMJ Surgeons, 1 in Bradford 1 in Liverpool and now one in Birmingham.I dont know if im allowed to give you the name of a forum with a UK link, but i would love you both to join us there as well.I met one lady who was having the same op as me and she is doing well, it was nice to meet someone not far from home who understands TMJ.If you are able drop me a line and let me know if your allowed to have the UK tmj sitename, Take care Judy.x

[This is not permitted. Please read about this and other board guidelines by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 04-10-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Closed Thread