It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

iluvmydog66 HB User
What is the bulge on the side of my jaw?

Hi -

As I have mentioned I am new here, and seeing a dentist who specializes in craniofacial pain and TMJD this Thursday. I have already had an MRI that shows disc displacement with reduction on my left side.

I have a question though; today I noticed something. I had a particularly painful weekend - all day yesterday and sharp pains shooting down from my ear. So not an earache IN my eardrum itself but down further - ofcourse on my left side where my disc is displaced.

This is a new pain for me - it would hurt if I blew my nose, shoot pain sporadically and Motrin did not touch it. I had it all day long until I went to bed last night. I had worn my soft guard to bed Friday night and also had chiro work done Friday night to involve a neck adjustment, spine adjustment and laser/light impulses on the left side of my jaw. I woke up with the earache and as though someone punched me in my jaw - the outside of my face and my jaw was actually painful to the touch. No idea if it was related to chiro work or not.

Last night I did not wear the soft splint, took motrin before bed, woke up today and the earache is gone. Jaw is no longer painful to the touch. I still have some spasms that I can feel under my eye but they don't hurt, are just annoying.

While brushing my teeth this morning and my hair pulled back, I slowly opened my mouth and closed it again. Each time I open it something bulges out on the left side (my bad side) but not on the right side. I suppose this is the displaced disc most likely right? I don't hear a pop in my ears - today, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. There is no locking either - years ago I can remember my jaw locking once in a while but we are talking 15 years ago.

Just wondering if anyone else on here can see this in their jaw?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: What is the bulge on the side of my jaw?

I have a constant bulge or thick hardness on my lower left side (my bad side) near the ear but actually on the jaw line but it it is always there - some days more prominent than others, but it never fully goes away. I initially thought it was an infected lower back molar. My chiro does his adjustments in the exact spot as well - and sometime when he does I see stars. He told me my atlas can cause this by being off center. Its also the side I lock on occassionally so I am not sure if it is from the tmj or the atlas.

Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

This moves out when I open my jaw and then goes back in so it is not visible when I close my mouth. It is on the side where the displaced disc was diagnosed on MRI - so my guess is, it is the disc or joint moving out and in.

Let you know what I learn.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

when is your appt again?

Old 05-08-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

iluvmydog66 HB User

Thurs night.

Closed Thread