It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
NUK Pacifier? What is it?

Has anyone heard of this? If so what is it and its purpose? I had a consult with a new dr 2 wks ago and today he e-mailed me and suggested we try to reposition the jaw and tongue with a NUK pacifier. It would take a few months to know if it is a success or not. In addition I would need to have trigger point injections, cranial sacral therapy and possibily another round of PT. He said my tmj is definitely a neuromusclar problem and the different therapies (which I have done at one time or another these past 2 yrs ) are necessary to identify the trigger points in the central nervous system causing the spasms in my face and tongue. I'm going to e-mail him back with some questions but was wondering if anyone else has heard of this appliance, tried it, etc or is it his own version of a repositioning splint? Although he states he has 25 yrs in treating tmj I am cautious with any new dr now because others I have tried have actually made my pain worse with some of their treatments.

Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: NUK Pacifier? What is it?

Nerver heard of it. When I put it in the search engine it showed up as pacifiers that babies would use. That is good your new doctor has 25 years tmj experience.
I sure hope it helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

MLZ HB User

Yes indeed it is a kind of baby pacifier

Old 06-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know.....I looked back at his e-mail and he does say it is similar to a baby pacifier and that ii helps train the tongue to work with the jaw instead of against it. Something new for me - won't this look pretty - a late 40 something using a pacifier - great!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Just curious, what is your tongue doing that it shouldn't be. Are you suppose to suck on this thing like babies do?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
(female)

Essare HB User

Hey Thelma-Louise,

If it works, don't knock it - who cares what it looks like, right? (In the privacy of your own home, anyways.) It's non-invasive, and worth a shot!!

Good luck!!!
Sylvi

Old 06-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
(female)

Angi_H HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtocamp
Just curious, what is your tongue doing that it shouldn't be. Are you suppose to suck on this thing like babies do?
It is a baby Paci. I used them all the time with my kids. I just find it strange that he is even suggesting something a baby would use.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know this is not very common but when my tmj started abrubtly 2 yrs ago it started wtih tongue spasms - my tongue literally just started to make a constant uncontrollable twirling motion around my back teeth. The tmj pain & jaw deviation came a week later. Initially it was thought to be a neurological problem but this was eliminated after many, many tests. Today my tongue is pretty much stuck on the left side and feels twisted too. So I guess the dr is thinking that I need to somehow retrain it to move with the jaw? And that sucking on a pacifier will help do this? He also said I would have to wear splints 24/7 (he mentioned several different types that would be used in stages) to reposition the jaw as well. I have an appt 7/6 so we shall see. I have tried so many things - so I am kind of game for anything at this point if it helps.

Closed Thread