It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
(male)

scottmj HB User
Do your tmj problems progress as the day goes by?

Hey,

Just wanted to know how everyone's symptoms progress throughout the day.
I usually wake up with my ears feeling pretty good (still ringing, but no stuffiness). After I eat breakfast I still feel alright, then about an hour later the panic attacks hit me, my jaw starts hurting, ear pain/stuffiness, tinnitus gets louder. All this progresses as the day goes on and I'm talking/eating/drinking. By bedtime I'm a mess. It's been going on for two weeks like this.

I got a splint from a nueromuscular dentist and it did seem to be helping at first. Then as he kept making adjustments it felt like I was fighting it and my joints just started to hurt worse.

I went to see a chiropractor who specializes in tmj/myotherapy and he took xrays and said I had a major sublaxation of the C1 vertebrae. He said the splint looks good but until you take care of the C1 you'll continue to fight what the dentist is trying to do. I've only had two visits where he's done some adjustments and myotherapy with my jaw. No relief yet. He said after about 4 adjustments I should be able to start wearing the splint and see some big improvement. I hope he's right because life is sucking big time right now. Anyone else with a similar experience.

Thanks for any input.
Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

CTmom HB User
Re: Do your tmj problems progress as the day goes by?

Can you describe what the chiropractor does for your TMJ?

I have seen a chiropractor in the past for back pain, so I'm familiar with adjustments, but I had fusion of C5-C6 for a herniated disk about two years ago that was not responding to therapy. Therefore, I can't have adjustments done to my neck and it has limited range of motion.

Since my surgery I have developed which I think are TMJ issues and was wondering what type of therapy the chiropractor offers and if this is something I might be able to try. I don't want to pay for a consultation just to be told I can't be adjusted because of my neck, but if the therapy is more gentle, I could consider it. Just wondering??? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
(male)

scottmj HB User

CTmom,

The myotherapy is pretty much just massaging of trigger points in the face. He also adjusts my jaw with the palms of his hands. Not sure what that is called but it's like an alignment for the jaw being out of place. He said my jaw was actually what was throwing off my C1 not vice/versa like I thought.

So I don't know if the back adjustments are essential but he does that as well. He used some kind of gentle massage tool to get the vertebrae back in place. It's not forceful at all like most of the back-crackers.

It's been a blessing to find him and I seem to be making some progress, but it's painful in the beginning. He said I still can't were my splint until the jaw and back adjustments hold. Grin and bear it I guess.

I would look one up but ask them specifically if they do myotherapy and gentle adjustments and explain your situation to them. If they don't know what myotherapy is they probably can't help you. I had to look hard to find one here in Kansas City. The only other place I found that does it is rehab hospitals but you need a prescription to get it done there

Old 07-31-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
(male)

scottmj HB User

Hey Coder4hire,

I can increase my tinnitus just by clenching my jaw. I used to have just a bit of it but since I started messing with my jaw it's gotten worse. I'm using Tinnitus Retraining Therapy and keep my ipod handy to try to habituate it most the time. Otherwise it can get to you if you let it.

I had an adjustment today and he really worked on the left side of my face. Man, it feels like I've been slugged by Mike Tyson. The whole left side of my face hurts and that ear is burning like crazy. Funny how all that stuff ties together. Oh well, at least I seem to be making progress.

Are you a coder as well? I was just recently forced out of my position partially because of TMJ problems partially because of my bipolar/panic attacks. Couldn't focus more than a couple of hours without becoming worthless. Really sucks because I loved it. I had a life before all of this and I'm working to get it back. Just gets hard whenever your having chronic pain. I just started on nuerontin and it does seem to be working great for the facial pain. Makes me dumb but I'm not working right now anyways.

Take care and hope your TMJ/tinnitus gets better.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
(male)

kerk HB User

scottmj, we have the same combo TMD/tinnitus problem. I wonder how many other people do. We should definitely keep posting info on what we find helps and what doesn't.

Yes, it's amazing how the muscles and other components of the neck and jaw all work together... or, in our case, don't.

Sorry to hear what you have been through.

Yes, I'm a programmer. Unfortunately, the tinnitus is making it more difficult to concentrate on the more challenging tasks, to say nothing of enjoying sleep and other things that start with the letter 's'.

Is that TRT therapy something you got online, or did you have to visit a local health practitioner?

Old 08-03-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
(male)

scottmj HB User

Coder4hire,

Sorry I was MIA a couple of days. My TMJ pain got so bad and muscles were clenching so tight I had to go to the ER. They gave me a shot of demerol and a powerful inflammatory. That did the trick but I was worthless all day yesterday. That demerol is nasty stuff.

For the tinnitus retraining therapy do a google on tinnitus 101 and you'll find the program I'm working with. It's a great product.

When I was at work, I would just put on my headphones to tune it out. It's harder now that I'm unemployed. Seem to focus on it more. Just gotta keep myself busy. If you can always keep some background noise going so you don't focus on it. I here you on the big S's.

I had my fifth chiro adjustment/cold laser therapy today and he said I was holding all the jaw adjustments so I can start wear the splint again. Keeping my fingers crossed things will improve.

One thing I found that helps my tinnitus is a muscle relaxer combined with a tranquilizer like ativan. My doctor prescribed generic chlorzoxazone(parafon forte dsc brand name). It's pretty weak compared to something like flexeril but won't make you all dopey so you could still work. Now the ativan, well that's another thing but you might be able to get by with a small does.

I keep you posted if I find anything else that helps.
Take care.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

imaworrier HB User

scottmj --
I also have panic disorder, and the doctor prescribed me flexeril yesterday for my TMJ. I'm afraid to take it because my panic attacks usually occur in the middle of the night, and a lot of times it's been after taking meds such as cold medicine, cough syrup and even ibuprophen. I'm afraid that if I wake up feeling weird in the middle of the night from the flexeril, it will make me think something really bad is happening to me and make me have a panic attack.
She gave me a low dosage, only 5mg, but I'm still afraid to take it.

Does it help your TMJ? Did it cause you to have panic attacks? I wish my doctor would prescribe me ativan, but she won't.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
(male)

scottmj HB User

imaworrier,

I can sympathize. I am extremely sensitive to meds too and I obsess about every little thing going on in my body. I even thought the ativan was giving me panic attacks at first but had to tell myself 'Wait a minute...this is a tranquilizer'. It sucks having panic. I think there's a definite link between TMJ and panic, at least for me. I find self-hynosis CD's and delta-waves help a little with mine.

I've never taken flexeril, just the chlorzoxazone. I can't say what effect flexeril will have on you but the chlorzoxazone really relaxes me and makes me a little sleepy and yes it does help the tmj. Anti-inflammatories help the best, especially indomethacin, but they tear up my stomach so bad I can't take them.

I'd stay away from ativan. I'm addicted to it. Just makes the rebound panic worse. It doesn't really help TMJ but it does help with sleep for me anyway.

You might want to ask a general question on the board if you want more opinions on flexeril. For me I always weigh the pros and cons. If your TMJ is keeping you awake it's probably worth a try.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
(female)

imaworrier HB User

I was given 12 ativan in the emergency room for a panic attack I had last year (I just started having them last year at 34 years old, go figure). I of course thought I was dying and went to the emergency room, only to be told it was a panic attack.
Anyway, the er doc. gave me 12, and I still have 1 left. I'm saving it because I know they won't give me more (at least my doctor won't). So I only took them when I really needed them, not on a regular basis.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

There was a previous post regarding flexeril some time ago - I found it to be very strong so I would have to cut into qtrs to take it. Although it does relax the muscles it also made me very sleepy so I can't see it aggravating panic attacks although I do not suffer from them. There were quite a few members from that previous post that said it worked fine and others who also thought it was very strong so if you try it ask for the minimum dosage so you can increase it to what your body can tolerate. I don't recall any sleep disturbances from it - once I fell asleep I would not wake for several hours and would not even remember sleeping - if you know what I mean. I don't recall if anyone used it during the day though - I think most used it for nightime only.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
(male)

kerk HB User

scottmj,

Sorry to hear about what you went through. Hopefully you are feeling better now.

Thanks for the info on the TRT. Currently I'm using a white noise generator at night, to mask the tinnitus: Tinnitus Masker Pro, [Removed]. It has many options -- best product I've seen yet.

[Website with advertising are not permittted. Please read more about this by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 08-04-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Closed Thread