It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

Chintzy HB User
Numbness/fullness around ear area and temple

Does anyone know if TMJ causes numbness in the temple area and around ear area. I have this numbness plus wake up some nights with my ear feeling like an ice pick is stuck inside my ear....a really sharp pain. Also, my eye on that side has a numb feeling to it. Have had mri to rule out Trigminal Neuralgia and one doctor thought it might be tmj.

What kind of test is used to determine TMJ? Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Chintzy

Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Numbness/fullness around ear area and temple

My left ear feels numb inside and today I was getting the "ice pick" type stabbing pains in my left ear. I put moist heat on my jaws and ears and that helped. I also did some jaw stretches. I've been stressed out lately and it's really taking a toll on my body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I also get that and my tmj doctor said its because my jaw is too far back pressing on the nerves and blood vessels between my ears and joints.
I have a splint now and the ear pain and pressure have decreased slightly but now I have cheek pain because I think the splint is too high.
Most dentist can tell you if you have a tmj problem, but only let one that is very familiar with tmj treat it.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jenny R. HB User

Chintzy, if you don't mind me asking, does your face ever get a tingling sensation? My jaw will tighten and I'll feel pressure, and then the tingling will last for a few seconds. I too have had a MRI to see if there was anything causing this from the trigeminal nerve. Nothing showed up. Let me know. I have heard on this board of people here having facial tingling with there TMJ.
Hopefully we'll talk again!!!!! Take care, I know its frustrating, I've had the ear pain, and pressure, along with the facial sensations for 6 years now. Sometimes I think I'm going batty!!!!

Closed Thread