It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

mooaa HB User
full teeth extraction does it help?!!

anybody did that and now have relief from the pain in the ear ,face and the rest of the symptom of the tmj ?

Old 09-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: full teeth extraction does it help?!!

Im not sure I have tmj, have many symptoms though. I had all my teeth out but I still have the symptoms and my teeth grinding has gotten worse with dentures.

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I have asked this question so often myself - even put it to drs and have gotten mixed responses. I'm to the point where I just want the pain to stop and b/c nothing else has worked the only other solution I can think of is to have all my teeth removed. I can't understand how one of my grandmothers who never wore her dentures and both of my parents who wore theirs for 25 some years never had pain like I am having - other than the fact that I have teeth. But its such a permanent solution I am afraid of taking that big step. What about I am wrong and am making this decision out of pain and frustration?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
(female)

mooaa HB User

thanks for your posts . i asked because i remember that a dentist i saw few years ago recomended that to end my gum burning and itching !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i ran away from him i was not have tmj at all but i remember his words now after i tried 3 splints made me worse and a full painful year and still nothing solved yet so i was thinking if somebody did that for the tmj pain and got relief.!!!!!!!!

Last edited by mooaa; 09-29-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
(male)

kerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All
Im not sure I have tmj, have many symptoms though. I had all my teeth out but I still have the symptoms and my teeth grinding has gotten worse with dentures.
Do you wear your dentures at night? I thought that denture wearers took them out at night.

Just in case Hope4All does not see this message, does anyone else out there know if denture wearers typically take them out at night?

Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

You might want to search the Dental Problem msg board here - its quite mixed depending on what their drs told them to do vs what their preference is.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise
I have asked this question so often myself - even put it to drs and have gotten mixed responses. I'm to the point where I just want the pain to stop and b/c nothing else has worked the only other solution I can think of is to have all my teeth removed. I can't understand how one of my grandmothers who never wore her dentures and both of my parents who wore theirs for 25 some years never had pain like I am having - other than the fact that I have teeth. But its such a permanent solution I am afraid of taking that big step. What about I am wrong and am making this decision out of pain and frustration?
I think the only explanation is that their joints are not sitting too far back.

GT

Old 09-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
(male)

GoodThings HB User

I don't think it will help at all and perhaps can worsen your condition.

GT

Old 09-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerk
Do you wear your dentures at night? I thought that denture wearers took them out at night.

Just in case Hope4All does not see this message, does anyone else out there know if denture wearers typically take them out at night?
I sleep with mine out at night, but my jaws still try to grind! I also tongue grind. When my dentures are in during the day I grind.

I may not have teeth in my mouth, but the action of grinding still goes on....I know this because I've taken my teeth out a few hours before bed and catch myself "trying" to grind.

Hope

Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

I do not understand how extracting all of your teeth is going to get rid of TMJ problems. This just sounds extremely risky, and there is no guarantee it will work...I personally would avoid such an extreme "treatment."

Closed Thread