It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User
TMJ or just common symptoms?

Hello everyone,
I'll try to keep this short!

I've just recently heard of TMJ and I began wondering if I could have it, or if I'm just associating some of my common "symtpoms" with this disorder.

I noticed jaw problems; clicking/popping when chewing or yawning, and mild pain. I always associated these problems with having had braces. I had braces removed with I was about 15, I'm now 23. Could braces be conntected to this disorder?

I've also always had a problem with a variety of headaches. Some of them were link to a food allergy I found out I had 3 years ago, but I still seem to have a headache more often than I should. I know there are various causes for headaches. But I also saw that headaches were a side effect of this disorder.

I tend to clench my jaw when I'm really cold, along with tenseing my whole neck, which probably strains the jaw, not to mention my neck! I've been told I grind me teeth when I sleep, which I read can be a symptom or a cause of TMJ.

Occasionally my ears ache mildly. However, as a baby thru childhood I had many problems with earaches. Often times my ears feel clogged or itchy, so much that I use Q-tips to clean them out sometimes everyother day,thinking that it must be wax. More times than not, the Q-tip is practically clean. This is wierd but from time to time, my ears get really warm inside, like warm water is in there! The sensation only last a couple seconds.

Currently I am experiencing a mild pain on the right side of my jaw, but only when I open my mouth a little bit. Also my right ear is achey, not constantly, its faded in and out so far today. My jaw has been hurting like this for about a week-2 weeks now. Since it's not excurriating, I shrug it off. It hurts more intensely, and more constantly when I'm chewing something for a bit, like gum. (The ear ache could be associate with the little cold I have right now though.)

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for some insight as to whether this sounds like TMJ or not? Are these symptoms or just common things that aren't link? Is there a way to 100% diagnose this? And would it be more appropriate to see a doctor or a dentist?!

Thanks for any input!!

Last edited by jen52983; 11-06-2006 at 09:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

MLZ HB User
Re: TMJ or just common symptoms?

With clicking I can almost guarantee a TMJ problem. Clicking/popping usually means your disc is out of placed. All of your other symptoms may be TMJ related too. If there is no TMJ clinic where you are a dentist trained in TMJ should be able to help.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jo332a HB User

Hi,
I have for a long time had a TMJ problem, some years ago my dentist insisted I have a liquidised diet for 4 days to give the joint a rest.
Since them I have been careful not to attempt to chew anything very hard and also to Stop chewing gum, toffees and other chewy sweets,
which I did.
It worked...... I still have a clicking and knocking noise if I stretch open my mouth, and I learned how to hold back on a big yawn.
My jaw will ache for a while after a visit to the dentist.
But otherwise all is O.K.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

Thank you very much for your replies. I'll have to make an appt with the dentist.. ick.. and stop chewing gum haha.. oh well.. not a difficult sacrafice!

Thank you agian, I appreciate it!

Closed Thread