It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

kkl HB User
invisalign/braces with TMJ and clenching

Hi,

Are any of you going through braces/orthodontia? How is your orthodontist dealing with grinding/clenching? I am in Invisalign, and my orthodontist said that the invisalign trays will protect my teeth even if I grind. I am not convinced. Although it may be protecting the tooth structure, I can still feel it in my jaw and I can still feel pain in my teeth when I wake up in the morning. I am already dealing with bone loss (possibly from a bad bite), and am worried that the clenching will just make it worse.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
(female)

Suzq222 HB User
Re: invisalign/braces with TMJ and clenching

I also have the invisalign and clench all night. It's been about 6 weeks now and nothing has improved. My ortho said it would help with the clenching but I also wake up in the morning with the same jaw/facial pain that I had before. But I don't see how it could hurt since it acts like a nightguard. The only time I can say it helps is during the day, before the invisalign I braced my mouth all day so that my teeth wouldn't touch. My bite was so bad even after having my teeth adjusted by a neuromuscular dentist. It felt like trying to put two magnets together, my teeth were allways trying to stay apart. Keep me posted on your progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

kkl HB User

Hi Suzq222,

My bite is also way off. I actually developed an open bite because of the nightguard I used for many years. One dentist told me that my teeth are off by a tooth and a half. i.e. My teeth need to move that much to get my bite corrected. I've been told that the best splint is a flat plane splint so that high points on teeth can not touch others. I think my problem is that I can still have the high points of my teeth crunch down on other teeth even with the Invisalign. The tray acts somewhat of a barrier, but I can still feel it. I will have to talk to my TMJ dentist about this.

I am only a little head of you on Invisalign. I am on week 11.

p.s. I also have nine attachments/buttons.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
(female)

velvet rose HB User

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about getting Invisalign too. How fast does it move your teeth? Is it super slow?

Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
(female)

kkgirl HB User

i got an orthodontist after my jaw pain and told him about it hoping he could help but he didn't do diddly squat.

and he said i have to wait till my braces are off before i can get a splint or anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread