It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

kkgirl HB User
If I stop grinding my teeth will my symptoms go away?

I know that i grind and clench my teeth alot in my sleep
i wake up doing it sometimes and some of my teeth are blunt while some are sharp. they fit together like a puzzle piece, too.

these are my symptoms-
head aches
jaw pain
dizziness
out of it feeling (sometimes)
tired
depressed

i was wondering if i get something such as a nti or splint it would go away???
i cant now though because i have braces
And no, the symptoms are not from the braces i had the symptoms before the braces!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
(female)

mooaa HB User
Re: If I stop grinding my teeth will my symptoms go away?

hi sorry for your pain,i think may controling grinding can help the soreness of the muscle a little but u have to control the night time clenching too if u can without the splint so u will not depened on it all the time because it can change your bit and make the problem worse so train your self all the day and do it in the bed before you sleep as a tongue up and teeth apart and it helped me the first time few years ago but now i can not do it .
so take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

kkgirl HB User

what can i do right now though? i've tried that lips together teeth apart thing all the time...
and i have braces so i cant get a splint or nti or mouthguard.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
(female)

mooaa HB User

sorry for deleting the post but this was my advise i think i was wrong to post all this info and i did not mean to be over but i was postin a general help information regardless of the age because i did not know how old is she so forget it and ask the dentist better for help.
take care

Last edited by mooaa; 01-19-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

mooaa,

I think you have some good tips, especially about posture, avoiding sugar, the TMJ book, etc. I also think a lot of the supplements you suggested are great, but there is one thing that should be mentioned...people need to research what dose is best for them. I don't mean to be critical, but one problem I saw is that you are recommending a LOT of calcium and magnesium. Too much is NOT a good thing!!! In fact, too much can cause just as many problems as taking too little. Too much calcium can cause kidney stones and other problems. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea and cramping...not pleasant!

Again, I'm not a doctor and don't want to tell people how much they should take...BUT i will say that the amounts recommended by the government are as follows:

Magnesium: 300 mg (now there has been controversy lately, saying that this amount is too low. But I have read numerous times that taking over 700mg is too much, even if you're trying to make up for a deficiency. I personally take 450mg in supplements right now).

Calcium: 1000-1500 mg for the average healthy adult...1500 is on the high end, and 2000 is definitely too much.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I know its not mentioned in this post but in a previous post KKgirl - the poster- mentions she is only about 14 1/2 years old (she was 13 yrs old in Sept '05) - so although I know the advice is being offered with good intentions - her age needs to be considered to a certain extent. Obviously she is looking for immediate relief - so are all of us - but I still think in her best interests she needs to be discussing her pain - as well as some of the great advice offered here - with her parents.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

kkgirl HB User

I agree with u Thelma-Louise . i need to discuss this with my parents and i will.
im actuallly 15 now.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
(female)

MaggieMay78 HB User

yes, I agree too...the sooner you can talk about it with your parents and doctor/dentist, the better!!!

Meg

Old 01-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear it KKgirl - you seem like a very bright young woman since you are asking all the right questions. Please keep us all updated with your progress or feel free to discuss or ask any questions regarding your treatment, pain, consults with other drs, etc. I hope things improve for you very soon.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The splint changes the contact of your upper and lower teeth thereby affecting the resting position of your jaw. Also the design of the splint generally determines whether it is stabilizing your bite or jaw or repositioning it. I am pretty sure results - even poor ones - can be reversed or undone - which is why most people try them instead of opting for surgery - they are considered conservative and reversible.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

this has happend to me! My bite is way off and it is killing me. What do I do about it? Who do I see? Dentist and Oral surgeons have screwed this up for me!

Closed Thread