It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

velvetrance HB User
weird cause theory of TMJ

i have a theory on what caused my TMJ.
the three leading causes are teeth grinding, jaw clenching, or jaw trauma. i believe i suffered the latter.

i started having all of my symptoms after a root canal was performed in march '06. the root canal was an awful experience. i didnt receive proper anesthetic and an infection occured right after the procedure. i've NEVER ground(*) my teeth or clenched my jaw. my theory is that i received jaw trauma due to the root canal. no one really wants to believe my theory but nothing else makes sense, esp. other doctors. how do i go about proving this or testing this? is getting TMJ from shoddy dental work possible?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: weird cause theory of TMJ

Tmj due to poor dentistry is defintely a possiibility but then its usually b/c the bite has been greatly changed and this can then affect the functioning of the facial and neck muscles and jaw components (disc, joints, condyles).

Chronic pain from 1 tooth however can radiate along the nerve pathways though and create full or entire mouth pain Was the tooth with the root canal crowned as well? Have you had an endodontist re-examine the tooth? Which tooth had the rc? Are your symptoms similar to neuralgia - like a chronic nagging ache or fatigue and soreness, stiffness or tightness, tenderness?

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 02-07-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
(male)

GoodThings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetrance View Post
i have a theory on what caused my TMJ.
the three leading causes are teeth grinding, jaw clenching, or jaw trauma. i believe i suffered the latter.

i started having all of my symptoms after a root canal was performed in march '06. the root canal was an awful experience. i didnt receive proper anesthetic and an infection occured right after the procedure. i've NEVER ground(*) my teeth or clenched my jaw. my theory is that i received jaw trauma due to the root canal. no one really wants to believe my theory but nothing else makes sense, esp. other doctors. how do i go about proving this or testing this? is getting TMJ from shoddy dental work possible?
Hello,
Jaw trauma is a cause of tmj. The other two, i believe, are symptoms, or peripheral effects, of having tmj.

Not that i don't believe your theory (it's unusual to say the least) but if say your root canal caused your bite to go out of alignment then yes it's very possible. But how does a simple root canal do that? I don't know. Hence it's unusual.

Tmj from bad dental work? I think it's not only possible, it happens all the time.

GT

Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
(male)

saxman26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings View Post
Hello,
Jaw trauma is a cause of tmj. The other two, i believe, are symptoms, or peripheral effects, of having tmj.

Not that i don't believe your theory (it's unusual to say the least) but if say your root canal caused your bite to go out of alignment then yes it's very possible. But how does a simple root canal do that? I don't know. Hence it's unusual.

Tmj from bad dental work? I think it's not only possible, it happens all the time.

GT
My TMJ definitely came about due to bad dentistry, I had my bite adjusted several times, now hardly any of my teeth come together ( I have an open bite) Proving it is very difficult unfortunately.

Closed Thread