It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Now pain in other jaw. Still myofascial pain disorder? I'm worried.

Last year I started having pain in the right side of my face. First I thought it was a sinus infection and was treated for that, then I thought it was a salivary gland issue, which my doctor thought it could be too. She sent me to an ENT who said it wasn't. My dentist said it wasn't TMJ. It felt like pain and pressure in my jaw and mouth, and even in my throat sometimes. My face felt swollen, even though there wasn't any appearance of that. My ear felt congested. This lasted a few months on and off. Then I went to another ENT and he diagnosed me with myofascial pain syndrome from tension and teeth clenching.

That pain went away, and I now only occasionally feel tightness on that side. Now I'm having very similar symptoms on the left side. The only difference is that I actually have a spot behind my bottom tooth on the left that feels irritated when I eat acidic foods. I just had a dental check-up and everything looked fine. I really want to go back to the doctor, but I know they think I'm crazy already cause I went several times for the right-sided face pain and abdominal problems I"ve had.

I really wanted to know if other people had this problem. I just need reassurance that I don't have some underlying salivary gland problem. I don't think it would switch sides. I have health anxiety. It is a horrible thing to have to live with.

I forgot to mention I notice often that my shoulders are hunched, and my neck muscles and top of my shoulder are sore on that side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Now pain in other jaw. Still myofascial pain disorder? I'm worried.

Your first and last paragraphs sounds so familiar in terms of it being related to tmj and myofacial pain syndrome, even neuromuscular dysfuntion or trimengial nerve pain. All of these can affect the upper cervical spine as well so its not unusal for your shoulders to hunch up and that area to hurt - your neck and shoulder muscles are responding to pain.

I guess what's got me stumped is the issue with sensitivity with one tooth when eating acidic food. B/c of the tightness in the throat some get with tmj anything that overly stimulates the salivary glands and taste buds can cause the area to constrict even more so. For me its anything with vinegar or anything sour. But I have never been able to attribute it to a particluar tooth. Its possible you have more than one thing going on.

The fact that you are having abdominal problems as well makes me wonder if you are experiencing symptoms of acid reflux or GERD since either can be aggravated by acidic food. Add to this your anxiety problem which can have a significant impact on the digestive tract as well as cause your abdominal muscles to contract - and the fact that recurring or frequent acid in the mouth can affect the teeth over time (erodes the enamel). Have you ruled out esophagus spasms or a hiatal hernia as well as GERD and acid reflux?

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 02-13-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Thanks for your reply.
I went to the dentist and he did x-rays and didn't see anything. It's not so much one tooth as it is the gum area behind my back tooth on that side.
Also, I've had a cold for a few days, and my glands under my neck are really swollen on that side. I don't usually get swollen glands with my colds, and the fact that it's only on that side have me worried. But then again, I do have health anxiety.

My doctor has put in a referral to a GI doctor for me, so hopefully he will check for acid reflux. Sometimes I have sharp chest pains on the left, but I dont' have any heart problems that I know of, I've had tests done in the past. I also go through periods where I have a irritation feeling down in my throat with occasional coughs for no apparent reason, so I've wondered about acid reflux.

So, does it seem odd that I had the pain on my right on and off for 6 months, now that's gone and the pain is now in my left jaw?

Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I don't think so b/c my pain flip flops too. I do notice that it corresponds with the position of my lower jaw - which has also been shifting a lot. When this first started I thought my left side was only affected but then it moved to the right and then at one point my enitre head and face hurt so much I couldn't tell where the pain was coming from. Today only my right side is bothering me. Its probably why I drive the dentist nuts as well - it sounds like I can't make up my mind - but its not me. It probably more to do with the jaw not really being equally balanced - like shifting your weight from foot to foot when standing - after a while the one foot hurts so you shift to your other foot and so on.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
(female)

Jade001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingtoo View Post
Last year I started having pain in the right side of my face. First I thought it was a sinus infection and was treated for that, then I thought it was a salivary gland issue, which my doctor thought it could be too. She sent me to an ENT who said it wasn't. My dentist said it wasn't TMJ. It felt like pain and pressure in my jaw and mouth, and even in my throat sometimes. My face felt swollen, even though there wasn't any appearance of that. My ear felt congested. This lasted a few months on and off. Then I went to another ENT and he diagnosed me with myofascial pain syndrome from tension and teeth clenching.

That pain went away, and I now only occasionally feel tightness on that side. Now I'm having very similar symptoms on the left side. The only difference is that I actually have a spot behind my bottom tooth on the left that feels irritated when I eat acidic foods. I just had a dental check-up and everything looked fine. I really want to go back to the doctor, but I know they think I'm crazy already cause I went several times for the right-sided face pain and abdominal problems I"ve had.

I really wanted to know if other people had this problem. I just need reassurance that I don't have some underlying salivary gland problem. I don't think it would switch sides. I have health anxiety. It is a horrible thing to have to live with.

I forgot to mention I notice often that my shoulders are hunched, and my neck muscles and top of my shoulder are sore on that side.
Do you suffer from headaches like from behind the eyes?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

No. I have had occasional headaches on the left side since this pain started, but not behind my eyes. I really don't think this is sinus related. It feels so much like the pain I had on the other side last summer, that I would swear it's myofascial pain disorder, except the actual irritation in my tissue behind my back tooth. I also have this lump that worries me. I'm just a mess!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
(female)

Jade001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingtoo View Post
No. I have had occasional headaches on the left side since this pain started, but not behind my eyes. I really don't think this is sinus related. It feels so much like the pain I had on the other side last summer, that I would swear it's myofascial pain disorder, except the actual irritation in my tissue behind my back tooth. I also have this lump that worries me. I'm just a mess!!!
Is the lump in your mouth on your gum? Is it large, hard or soft? Does it hurt when you touch it? We have a right to "worry" as some would say, I call it being aware of our body changes as we get older. Sometimes our bodies change naturally to where we may see it as a problem or something unusual when it just may be something perfectly harmless....but we don't know that and the horror stories that we hear about doctors anything from malpractice to the ones who can't give an accurate diagnosis but are sure quick to give out meds that cover up the symptom and doesn't touch the root of the problem. If we don't care about our bodies, who will? We know when something isn't normal for us and other times like I said, it could just be an aging thing that is normal, but we all need to be aware of what goes on with our bodies so that we can better explain to the doctors what we are going through and hopefully the patient and doctor can work together for better healthcare.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

The lump is behind my front teeth, to the left side like directly under my canine, but down low, under my tongue. I can feel it with my tongue and with my finger. It feels hard. There is maybe a similar lump on the other side, but much smaller. Maybe it's just another assymetry, but I'm going to have the dentist feel it Monday.
Anyway, I'm trying the soft diet today to see if I feel better tomorrow when I wake up. This morning I was in a lot of pain when I woke up, but it's not bad now. I wore my splint last night, but that doesn't keep me from clenching, just keeps my teeth from meeting. I don't see how that helps with the jaw pain because I'm still clenching.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
(female)

bluerose50 HB User

The lumps you have may very well be what they call torus mandubularis; which is simply a benign and harmless boney growth covered by gum. They don't usually cause any problems, unless you need dentures and then can make them hard to fit. Do all you can to keep your own teeth!

Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Okay, now I noticed a lump under my chin, right in the front just underneath. I mean I have to push to feel it, so maybe it's normal. I'm just freaking myself out. Anyone else have this?

Old 02-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

bluerose50, according to the dentist I saw Monday you were right. He said it's a torus. I still worry, but that's mostly because I have health anxiety.

My left jaw still hurts, and I'm still getting the swelling on my gum. The dentist looked and said he didn't see anything. I'm gonna wait a couple more weeks before I go to the doctor about the jaw pain because other than the swelling when I eat certain things, it's very similar to the pain I had on the right.

Closed Thread