It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
(male)

tommy45 HB User
do dentures stop tmj?

i have severe perio disease and already lost most my back molars.two month ago i have had shoulder pain, sometimes neck sore and popping sound when i drink water.but nothing else.i worry it might be early sign of tmj.so if i have full dentures,it will avoid tmj?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: do dentures stop tmj?

Good gosh I have been asking that question since my tmj started 3 yrs ago after a filling in a back tooth was replaced - I had previously lost my front teeth to perio and had bridges supported by anterior implants. Once the tmj started they crowned my back teeth thinking that would stop it and when it didn't I had my implants removed. Now I am wearing over dentures over the teeth that were prepped for crowns since they also serve as anterior or front bridges and I have to tell you the pain in my tm joints hasn't changed that much - I am still getting spasms and my jaw still deviates. I keep suggesting I remove all my teeth but every dr that has treated me says it can make things worse.

What I can tell you though is when I do wear the over dentures my neck and shoulders feel much better - so assuming you just need additional support in the back and are not having joint problems I would suggest you try a partial for your back teeth or even a plastic guard that only adds bulk to where your back teeth were to see if it helps - if it does then go to a partial. Unless all your teeth must be removed b/c of the perio I wouldn't rush into dentures unless you have to. But I should also add based on other threads from members that don't have tmj, for some the dentures are great - look and feel good, eat what they want, no more pain or worry over losing teeth, etc. and for others - they have a very hard time with them. You may want to check out posts from denture wearers in the Dental Problems forum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #3
(male)

tommy45 HB User
Re: do dentures stop tmj?

i think if tmj is caused by missing teeth or bite .then dentures are easy way to fix peroblem.thanks for your respond!

Closed Thread