It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
swollen lymph node with TMJ or myofascial pain disorder?

My lymph node in my neck is swollen, and has been for awhile. It's freaking me out because I have pressure and pain in my shoulder, neck and face on the left side, same side as swollen node. May have a swollen node behind my ear also, it's hard to tell if it's a node or muscle.
Anyway, I was diagnosed last year with myofascial pain disorder on the right side of my face and neck (they called it TMJ but said it wasn't actually the joint). This pain is similar, it's at it's worst now, but like I said I have sollen lymph nodes and don't know if that is something that occurs with TMJ or mpd.

Also, I mentioned this a couple of months ago, but I have this pain behind my back bottom tooth when I eat somethings. If you feel behind your back, bottom tooth in your mouth, there is a small, slightly bumpy area. Well when I eat certain things, mine swells up temporarily and hurts a little, then goes back to normal pretty quick. Wondering if this is related to my swollen lymph node. I've had two dentists check this area, and both don't see any problem with my teeth or gums.

The Following User Says Thank You to wonderingtoo For This Useful Post:
brathauler (11-15-2011)
Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
(male)

gnznroses HB User
Re: swollen lymph node with TMJ or myofascial pain disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingtoo View Post
My lymph node in my neck is swollen, and has been for awhile. It's freaking me out because I have pressure and pain in my shoulder, neck and face on the left side, same side as swollen node. May have a swollen node behind my ear also, it's hard to tell if it's a node or muscle.
Anyway, I was diagnosed last year with myofascial pain disorder on the right side of my face and neck (they called it TMJ but said it wasn't actually the joint). This pain is similar, it's at it's worst now, but like I said I have sollen lymph nodes and don't know if that is something that occurs with TMJ or mpd.

Also, I mentioned this a couple of months ago, but I have this pain behind my back bottom tooth when I eat somethings. If you feel behind your back, bottom tooth in your mouth, there is a small, slightly bumpy area. Well when I eat certain things, mine swells up temporarily and hurts a little, then goes back to normal pretty quick. Wondering if this is related to my swollen lymph node. I've had two dentists check this area, and both don't see any problem with my teeth or gums.
my lymph nodes under my chin and elsewhere in my neck have been swollen for 2 1/2 years. after worrying for a long time it was lymphoma or somethign i decided it was due to my acid reflux/lpr. but i do have tmj as well, so maybe that could be a cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

My lymph nodes or glands are swollen too - that started before the tmj pain did. I'm pretty sure its due to muscle strain and inflamation but you may want to have your salivary glands checked just in case. I have pain behind the last lower molar on the side where my tmj is worse - its lower than where the tooth is, kind of under the jaw but near the tongue and throat so its probably a muscle shared with the neck - I have noticed it eases up after I go to the chiro - so it may be due to some cervical misalignment - also caused by tmj or muscle spasms.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
(male)

deuche HB User

Hiya,

I'm new to this Forum.

May I suggest those with severely swollen glands ****** 'Sarcoidosis'? I have recently been diagnosed with this condition and I have a great number of hard, swollen nodes in my neck and under-jaw area. It was thought I may have Lymphoma, so a node was removed and found not to be cancerous, but to be effected with Granular Sarcoidosis.

It is possible you are suffering from this somewhat unrecognised condition, which like our Fibromyalgia and CFS, presently has no cure. However, Sarcoidosis can spontaneously disappear...if you are lucky!

Hope this may help someone.

Deuche.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Pretty sure this is not a virus, as i'm having pressure and tightness in my shoulder, neck and upper back on that side, but no symptoms of illness.

I am scared of lymphoma, but have no other symptoms of such. Last week I was convinced I had lymphoma, but you guys made me feel a little better.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Maybe I am lucky, in a way, that the onset of my jaw dysfunction in terms of limited opening and sidewards deviation occurred at the same time of all my other symptoms which I strongly believe is no coincidence - I guess if I didn't have the jaw dysfunction, I might be more inclined to possibly believe I had some other disease or condition.

Chronic pain however does triggers your own body's natural defense mechanisms to kick into high gear which then causes the brain to increase/decrease chemicals accordingly - this in itself can cause lymph nodes or glands to swell as part of the response b/c of the affect on the endocrin system.

Many diseases and conditions can be ruled out with blood tests and scans - so its not a bad idea to rule out what you can so as long as the test is non-invasive or not too expensive - especially if it eases your worry - but don't be too surprised if many of the test results come back "inconclusive".

Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
(female)

JoAnn15 HB User

thank you for sharing

Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
(male)

thechadd HB User

Hello guys,

Somewhat new here but I have been noticing similar issues. Recently since I have discovered I could feel my lymph nodes under my neck I have been checking them constantly. It feels that one is larger than the other. Seeing as how I smoked for about a year I was convinced I had cancer or lymphoma for some time. Before this lymph node scare a while back I got done eating some Mike and Ikes and realized my jaw on one side had really started hurting. This was about a few months ago and to this day that side still hurts. I am now sure I have TMJ. Just today I discovered a sore spot on the opposite side of my jaw that the pain usually comes from. It is behind the jaw under the ear. I am becoming less worried now seeing that this could be a result from TMJ. I have no difficulty swallowing. It seems only when I move my jaw from side to side and chew hard things that I have a lot of pain in my jaw. My main worries are of the lymph nodes and possible cancer or lymphoma. However I have no loss of appetite, night sweats, or fatigue of any kind. I feel great other than these jaw issues and neck issues.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
(male)

Soundster HB User

I had swollen lymph nodes, sore jaw, muscle spasms in the neck and upper back, and swollen jaw muscles among my TMJ symptoms, and my dentist told me I didnít grind my teeth. I went for an EMG sleep study and found out that while I wasnít ďgrindingĒ, I was clenching like crazy in my sleep. I told my dentist and he sent me to another dentist who specializes in TMJ. That guy prescribed me an NTI mouth guard, which snaps on the front teeth and is supposed to make it hurt to clench, so itís supposed to stop clenching. It didnít work for me. I clenched on it and it messed up my jaw.

Then I did some searching on line and tried a SleepGuard biofeedback headband. It doesnít go in your mouth. You wear it on your head and it tracks when you clench by muscle EMG signals like the sleep study. The idea is to practice responding some during the day by relaxing your jaw when you hear the sound, so you can do that in your sleep without waking up. It took me a few days to get the hang of it, and since I have, it has really helped. All of my swelling (including the lymph nodes), and almost all of my jaw pain was gone within a month. Iíve had it for a couple of months now, and it has helped a lot. I now have very little pain, and am hoping for a complete recovery, but I am still wondering whether I can fix the problems that clenching on the NTI caused.

Closed Thread