It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

twentytwo100 HB User
recent diagnosis

hi all.

after 8 straight months of a nonstop headache, with nausea and vomiting, daily meds, ct scan, mri, neurologists, eye docs, regular docs, etc... i went to the dentist.

he says i have all the classic signs of tmj. my jaw opens in an "s" shape as opposed to up and down, i have lots of clicking and popping and my jaw bone bulges when i open etc. he saws it seems like i may clench and grind pretty often. but i've never had an episode of "locking" or anything of that sort.

he says that i may also need orthodontia to correct my bite after getting fitted for guards that i will need to wear 24/7 to stop clenching (which i find myself doing constantly due to stress)

so.... i guess that's that.

but i'm still skeptical. i'm wondering if that's what's really causing my headaches. or if this is just "in addition to" the wonderful world of my headaches.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: recent diagnosis

The headaches and nausea and vomiting are probably coming form the cervical spine being forced out of alignment form the jaw deviating - I have had the same thing which improved after a few visits with a NUCCA chiro. The headaches can also be caused by the constant clenching, both are classic tmj symptoms. Headaches though are common with many conditions as well, in addition to being a condition in and of their own so I doubt any one can tell you for certain this is what is causing them. But based on what he said he found per is examination, he's probably right. Open or closed lock do not have to occur to have tmj.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
(male)

GoodThings HB User
Re: recent diagnosis

Your doctor is right about you having tmj. Popping, clenching, jaw deviating are all signs of your tm joints not in the right place.

Some headaches are muscle induced. But if you have daily constant headaches, then it's most likely that your joints are too far back. Hitting the nerves back there.

Can really comment on the treatment he prescribed. What sort of night guard? What sort of ortho? If he wants to treat you, he should have written you a treatment plan. Put everything in writing and document everything.

GT

Closed Thread