It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
(male)

jshors HB User
dizziness and ear problems associated with TMJ

I hope this mesage finds people well.

I am really interested to hear if people with TMJ have ear problems. I have TMJ, and my biggest complaint is that I have significant issues with dizziness. I also have a lot of ear pressure, popping, ringing, pain, etc.

I have been wearing a splint for about a month now, and it maybe helping a tiny bit.

Today I was talking with a very high-end ear, nose and throat doctor and he told me that there was no connection between TMJ and ear issues. He basically said that I'd be wasting my time with the splint. This really confused me as I felt like I had finally figured out what was causing me to be dizzy.

My question to you all is, do some of you with TMJ have problems with dizziness? Do you believe that your TMJ is the source of your dizziness and ear problems? I would really appreciate it if people let me know. I have to try and figure out if I should stay with the splint or try and go back to the ENT people and look for other issues. I am inclined to think that my TMJ is the culprit. My jaw is definitely a mess and x-rays have confirmed this.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Old 05-10-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
(male)

Justin32 HB User
Re: dizziness and ear problems associated with TMJ

I believe the ear ringing is associated with muscle tension cause by TMJ. About 10 years ago one of the very first symptoms I had was dizziness that lasted a few weeks. I've never felt the same since, kind of a detached feeling.

I can control the pitch of the tinnitus by tightening the muscles in the back of my neck (it's all muscle related in my case). I've been wearing a splint for 10 weeks now and it has helped me with relaxing the jaw and facial muscles, but still I have the tinnitus and tense neck muscles, although the ringing is very little when I'm relaxed and only in the left ear. As I go through my day it goes to both ears. I am in the first stage of treatment right now, in a few months I'll be getting braces and also be having Orthognathic Surgery so my jaws line up properly.

I'd hang in there with the splint for a few more months and try to relax.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Well, I have had ear problems most of my life - I thought it was related to having my tonsils and adnoids removed when I was younger. Pretty much it was limited to ear aches, frequent popping while driving with windows open, difficulty going under water and horrible pain whenever I went on an airplane. Then shortly after I got anterior detnal impants I started getting dizzy in elevators, walking down stairs and occasional ear ringing. Actually spent a full year going from ENT to ENT and gave up - but it calmed down after another yr and I assumed it resolved itself. Within a week of my tmj starting though everything returned with a venegence and now I had a constant ringing which would change pitch and a sound like loud radio static and then sometimes roaring ocean waves- it went on for more than 2 yrs to the point I felt like I could not function - couldn't focus on what others said, hear my own thoughts, sleeping was disturbed, etc. I actually developed vertigo at one point and started taking antivert. TMJ treatments with various drs (dentists, chiros, PT, etc) did lttle to change it. But then I went to a NUCCA chiro and within a few visits it eased up and now its basically all gone. He said my atlas was rotated or off center and was pressing on some nerves. I still have the tmj though but notice there are days after a splint adjustment that my ears feel full and I get worried its all going to return. Sometimes even the slightest ear ringing for a few seconds will stop me in my tracks - I get that nervous about it returning.

Although I am not certain, my feeling is the TMJ may have actually caused cranial changes and c-spine problems which then caused the ear problems. However, many people who do not have tmj or any of its symptoms suffer with ear ringing and dizziness as an issue in and of itself with no relationship to other medical or dental conditions. My suggestion would be if an ENT wasn't able to confirm any physcial abnormality with the ear that would cause these symptoms that you try other remedies such as homeopathic (supplements such as lipo-flavinoid) or alternative therapies such as seeing a NUCCA chiro or accupuncture. The affects of tmj can be pretty widespread for some people and not just limited to the jaw dysfunction alone - so a concerted combination of various treatments or therapies may be needed.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

rosarymaker HB User

Just a note. I was diagnosed with TMD about 20 years ago by an ENT. Didn't even know what that meant. The pain at that time wasn't as upsetting as the dizziness. He said I had eustachian tube disfunction due to facial muscle spasms. If I take a muscle relaxer it helps and I have just started treatment with a neuromuscular dentist and I am very hopeful after many other treatments. Hopes this helps. Take care.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

I wondered myself how many others had Dizziness, ear problems and TMJ.
For me the dizziness/Ear Pains and headaches are the worse of it all.
I suffer from Dizziness all the time. For me it feels like I am drinking without the drinks! I get lightheaded all the time, I feel like I am Floating, tilting, rocking, swaying, falling and over all at time disorientated. I also have jumpy vision at times. I notice when my headaches which are tension type are at it's worse so is the dizzy feeling. I have a pressure/tightness feeling around my head at all times. My ears get sharp shooting pains that feel deep in the ear, they have pain when I yawn or they pop.
They are always clogged first thing in the morning, and my jaw muscles always feel tight. I am told I have TMJ and for me I hear the clicking sounds in my jaw mostly lower mandible when opening and closing or chewing. For the longest time I question if this is all ear related or indeed TMJ. I definitely clench my jaw when sleeping and I do feel the tightness in it upon waking and throughout the day. So If all my symptoms really are ALL just tmj related then YES, TMJ can cause Dizziness I am WONDERING does anyone else dizziness feel like mine? I also wanted to mention that for me, if I lay down the dizziness, and the pulling pressure in my head and neck subsides. ANYONE ELES???

The Following User Says Thank You to boxerlover227 For This Useful Post:
phillip1957 (02-13-2012)
Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User

I have Eustachian tube dysfunction and TMJ. They are DIRECTLY connected to each other. I finally figured that out...

I guess I'm going to try to fix my jaw alignment (I dislocated it 5 weeks ago and it is still out of place) and hopefully the ear pressure will go away. I'll let you all know.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
(male)

jshors HB User

Thanks, everyone, who took the time to post responses to my question about TMJ and dizziness. I really appreciate your thoughts. Someone recommended taking lipoflavinoid, and I will definitely do that. Thank you... To the last person who posted, your dizziness sounds very, very similar to mine. Almost identical, in fact. I simply hate being dizzy. I just honestly can't figure out if my dizziness is connected to TMJ. I believe that it possibly is, though all of this is so controversial. Thanks again, everyone....

Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
(male)

jshors HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-del View Post
I have Eustachian tube dysfunction and TMJ. They are DIRECTLY connected to each other. I finally figured that out...

I guess I'm going to try to fix my jaw alignment (I dislocated it 5 weeks ago and it is still out of place) and hopefully the ear pressure will go away. I'll let you all know.
How did you figure out that you have Eustachian tube dysfunction? Did your ENT determine that?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlover227 View Post
I wondered myself how many others had Dizziness, ear problems and TMJ.
For me the dizziness/Ear Pains and headaches are the worse of it all.
I suffer from Dizziness all the time. For me it feels like I am drinking without the drinks! I get lightheaded all the time, I feel like I am Floating, tilting, rocking, swaying, falling and over all at time disorientated. I also have jumpy vision at times. I notice when my headaches which are tension type are at it's worse so is the dizzy feeling. I have a pressure/tightness feeling around my head at all times. My ears get sharp shooting pains that feel deep in the ear, they have pain when I yawn or they pop.
They are always clogged first thing in the morning, and my jaw muscles always feel tight. I am told I have TMJ and for me I hear the clicking sounds in my jaw mostly lower mandible when opening and closing or chewing. For the longest time I question if this is all ear related or indeed TMJ. I definitely clench my jaw when sleeping and I do feel the tightness in it upon waking and throughout the day. So If all my symptoms really are ALL just tmj related then YES, TMJ can cause Dizziness I am WONDERING does anyone else dizziness feel like mine? I also wanted to mention that for me, if I lay down the dizziness, and the pulling pressure in my head and neck subsides. ANYONE ELES???
Almost identical to what I have with my TMJ. I was diagnosed recently (last 2 months). I have the same dizziness. If I try to read text on my computer screen, it looks like it's falling. When I blink, it moves back up to the original position and begins falling again. Over and over. If I look at a book sitting on a table, the book looks like it is rising. My ears feel hot at all times. I just returned from a visit to a clinic to check my ears, because the dizziness began in the past 5-6 days. Ears checked out fine.

Walking anywhere is a challenge. I feel like I am falling over my own feet. The doc prescribed me (for now) a drug to help with symptoms of dizziness that is commonly used for those with Meniere's disease. Otherwise, I am beginning my TMJ treatment with topical gel containing 4 drugs (a compound formula). I will also be seeing a chiropractor, and my dentist is crafting me 2 different types of mouth plates to wear for day and night.

When you said, feels like you're drinking without the drinks... this is word for word how I described it to my friends. It's horrendous and no fun. I have the facial pain and have for a long time, but the dizziness is just unbearable. I do not find relief in lying down like you have described. I have to lay in a certain position or I feel like the room is spinning (actually sitting is less irritating than laying down in certain positions).

I am quite positive that once I begin the chiropractor visits and other alternative treatments (we are attempting to avoid surgery this early in the diagnosis), this will ease up. But it's a waiting game currently, and it is hard to live with.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
(female)

MLZ HB User

I can totally understand. I started getting dizzy years ago, went for physicals ... nothing... seen an ENT who told me everything was fine in there, I suspected I had TMJ because my jaw would click and it feels like the mandible is sitting off center. So I asked him if my TMJ could be making me dizzy, he told me no way and if so I would be the first one. Then i seen a neurologist who also said i was fine. So I was left dizzy constantly, not walking well without someone to hold me up for basically no reason. I really think the TMJ is responsible, it feels like my face is twisted to the left and the joint is "jammed in" if that makes sense. I've just had a Tomogram scan and will see in a few weeks when i go back to my TMD clinic to see for sure. Im hoping the new splint they will make me will help, it's soooo hard living constantly lightheaded, walking like a drunk, and feeling detached from the world. It's beyond messing with my life, it has completely conquered me. I can deal with pain, dizzy i cannot.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
(female)

Essare HB User

A little over a year ago, I suffered and anteriorly displaced disc on the left side, brought on by two rounds of gum surgery. This left me with a limited opening.

I wore a few different splints for a while, to see if I could get "unlocked", and also wore a "comfort" splint for a while after an unsuccesses "manipulation" left me in some pain.

The pain went away, and the limited opening improved quite a bit, with no further treatment, so I stopped wearing any splints.

Then, about 6 months ago, I started having ear problems on the right side - not a pain, but a very irritating buzzing/itchy feeling. Nobody seemed to think this was related to my TMJD, and I was given ear drops, as my inner ear looked red & inflamed.

When this carried on month after month, I went to a physio therapist, who suggested I should be wearing a splint. So I tried putting in my "comfort" splint again - and I was amazed that the buzzing immediately stopped. So I'm thinking my jaw was deviating a bit, and irritating my inner ear somehow. My ear is much better now, and if it acts up, I can either wear the splint for awhile, or line my teeth up straight with my muscles, and it helps.

I hope this information helps someone.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLZ View Post
I can deal with pain, dizzy i cannot.
Completely 100% agree with this statement. It's impossible to live a "normal" life in this state. I can barely read text, and my job involves writing, reading and computers. I am finding some relief personally in the drug I have been prescribed for my situation. Thankfully, and I have only dealt with the dizzy symptoms of TMJ for a few days compared with some of you poor souls I am reading about on these boards.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #13
(male)

Frodoh HB User

Dizziness? FOR SURE. It is the single worst part of the neck/tmj issues I have been having because it steals your life away.

I suffered neck and shoulder tension back in October and one day I turned my head and felt a crunch/pop. I messed up my neck by herniating the c5-c6 disc. Now I am left with constant ear fullness, headaches, whacky vision problems, neck stiffness, and upper back / shoulder muscle inconsistency.

Here's my routine - and it helps a lot:

Walk every day, swing your arms, keep your head up and your shoulders back. I wear dark sunglasses which help me with the dizziness. Not sure why but they help.

When I get home from work I place two hot, moist towels over my shoulders and neck for 20 minutes. I also rub them into my temples and jaw. This relaxes my muscles.

After that I do some neck stretching and some push-ups. I also work with a 10 pound weight on some simple shoulder and upper back exercises.

After the light workout I put the towels back on my back and neck for 20 minutes.

I also do some jaw exercises such as opening my jaw and and sticking my tounge out and down (like when a doctor uses the wooden stick to look at your tonsels). I don't do this in public, mind you, because it looks goofy.

Try to sleep on your back or on your side in a slightly fetal position. Don't sleep on your stomach.

All I can tell you is that you WILL get better over time. But you have to work at it. You have to stay active and strengthen your muscles, bones and mechanics.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Frodoh For This Useful Post:
phillip1957 (02-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #14
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshors View Post
How did you figure out that you have Eustachian tube dysfunction? Did your ENT determine that?

Thanks!
Yes, I was diagnosed with Eustachian tube dysfunction by a few ENT's.

As soon as I dislocated my jaw - the pressure became constant and severe. I cant' even "pop" my ears while my jaw is out of alignment.

Also during these 5+ weeks of being with a dislocated jaw, I analyzed the last 8 months that I had plugged up ears, and realized that I grind my teeth at night a lot and am also very tense in my jaw area. As soon as I completely relax my jaw and the rest of my face... the ear pressure equalizes back to normal.

I'm currently getting my jaw re-aligned and once that's done, I'm going to find a method of correcting ETD related ear pressure.

Will keep you all posted!

Closed Thread