It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
(male)

AndrewT78 HB User
TMJ and Motion Sickness

Hi Guys, Bit of an intro.

I have been suffering from TMJ for several years now. I was referred to a prosthodontist who made me a splint, which seemed to remove some of the problems, after about a year with limited success i gave up the splint.

I was referred to a physio who knows a lot about TMJ (by my physio) who I have been seing recently. He has given me some pointers to break the habit of clenching, as well as some massage techniques to ease the tightness of the masseter and lateral pterygoid muscles, this is having some effect so i will continue with this.

I dont really get a lot of pain in the jaw, although my jaw does pop everytime i open my mouth wide, my main problem seems to be the dizziness.

Another side effect that really annoys me is motion sickness, which i am assuming my TMJ is causing. I get Motion Sick real easy. During a plane takeoff i get incredibly dizzy and for a few days afterwards i have a real bad case of vertigo.

The worst i have probably felt was when i got off of a boxing bouncy castle, i felt like the floor was moving underneath me afterwards...very unpleasant.

I am going on a 13 night cruise in about 2 months and have started developing some anxiety about getting sea sickness bad and spoiling it. I have been on fishing boats recently, and with medication have been ok, mainly feeling sick after i get off the boat, but hopefully i will feel ok.

Im working on my jaw massages in the hope that my TMJ eases in time for the cruise so that the TMJ related motion sickness is limited.

I think if i convinced myself that the vertigo and dizziness was TMJ related it would allow me to combat the mental side of things.

I guess my question here is, do any other TMJ sufferers have motion sickness, and more specifically, do you have a bad case of motion sickness from planes, and boats? Do you think that TMJ sufferers are more prone to motion sickness?

Thanks Guys

Reading this site has confirmed that a lot of my healt probs are TMJ related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
(female)

alorcoy HB User
Re: TMJ and Motion Sickness

Andrew, I have terrible motion sickness too, even can suffer if in the backseat of a car on a long ride. Good news though, I went on a cruise and barely had any symptoms ... the only time I even felt the boat moving was on an especially stormy night. Take some Dramamine along and treat yourself well and you should do great ... hope that helps.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I have posted on this issue before - you may also want to try wrist bands for motion sickness - usually sold where dramamine is sold. They have magnets in them that press against the pressure points in your wrists. My sister had purchased them for a cruise and when I developed vertigo from the tmj I tried them and they helped quite a bit. Hope you have a great time.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
(male)

AndrewT78 HB User

thanks for the info guys.

I will be taking some Serc and Stemetil in case i start feeling rough.

I remember my first plane travel after developing TMJ, i was on a work trip interstate and everytime i used the hotel elevator i felt like i was falling backwards when i got out, i developed a massive case of vertigo, and started getting anxiety attacks. I even went to the ER one night cause i was convinced i was having a brain hemorage or something, they checked me out and sent me on my way. I went to the doctor and he believed i had a virus because my temp was up (i think i did actually develop a virus) he gave me some serc to help with the vertigo which was terrific. Flying home was terrible. On the takeoff i felt like my eyes were about to pop out, then developed a massive ear ache on landing. For the next few days i was having major dizziness attacks. After numerous blood tests and even a CAT Scan nothing was wrong. The case eased off, but ever since then i have always developed motion sickness VERY easily. Last time i went on a plane it wasnt as bad but still very uncomfortable...its not so much the pressure changes, i seem to feel the G-Force a lot more than i should. Sounds weird I know.

Oh well, once i have a few drinks on that cruise ship hopefully all will be well

thanks again guys

Andrew

Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
(male)

KJJ HB User

I get nauseous sometimes when I bite down on my jaw. My dentist says it's because one of the jaw ligaments is putting pressure on the inner ear. Perhaps this could be causing or aggravating your motion sickness.

My own problem worsens when my joint is swollen, but naproxen keeps the problem under control. Anti-inflammatories might be something for you to try if you think the cause is similar.

-Kevin

Closed Thread