It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

Liz Fultz HB User
TMJ and tens units

I have a tens unit for my back and neck after I had my neck surgery. I have severe headaches from TMJ and I wanted to know if I can use my tens unit around that area. My instructions say not to use it above the neck, but I wondered if I use it at a lower setting, if I could use it to ease this pain.

Liz

Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

rosarymaker HB User
Re: TMJ and tens units

Hi Liz, I have been seeing a nm dentist and he uses the tens on my jaw joints and lower neck. It gives me a worse headache that day, but the day after my headache, jaw, and neck pain is a little better. I have 5 bulging discs in my neck but have not had surgery. I also use mobic for pain zanaflex for spasms and that is my saving grace. I have a tens unit for home use and put it on a low setting and it helps, the dentist puts it up high and then adjusts my splint about 1 hour later. I hope you feel better soon. Living with a horrible headache is no fun and stops you in your tracks. Good luck to you.
Carla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
(female)

Beppie1 HB User

It may be a microcurrent machine and not a tens. The TMJ clinic told me a true TENS machine would only block pain. The electric microcurrent machine stimulates blood circulation etc in that area. I would like to buy one of those if I could figure out which one would work.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

rosarymaker HB User

Beppie, I stand corrected. The dentist uses something like the tens, but I dare not try to pronounce it. My machine is called an interferential current stimulator. It's purpose isto create electric impulses and deeper tissue stimulation depending on what setting one may tolerate. Fortunately my ins pd for it but not my tmj treatment. Thanks
Carla

Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
(female)

Beppie1 HB User

[DOnt feel bad. I thought they were the same thing. I took some internet ads to the TMJ clinic and they wrote what they thought about them. I am doing pretty well with the clinic and stretching, exercises, care at home so maybe dont need the microcurrent thing. We will see.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
(female)

alorcoy HB User

I use my TENS on my face ... regularly, and I feel that it does relax my muscles even though it's not a true stimulator.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

i think that a tens unit can help diagnosis where what jaw
muscles are working to compensate for the ones that should
be. Dentist try to find the relaxed position of the jaw and use
a ulf tens unit, which stands for ultra low frequency. It helps
to massage the muscles that are being overworked sending
blood into the area and take the lactic acid and toxins out of
the area. TMJ disorders are almost always caused by malocclusion or the bite being off..this in turn puts added
stress on the wrong muscles of the jaw to compensate for
the incorrect bite. Once the bite is corrected the jaw will
drop down to its natural position and pain is gone. ENT docs
and dentists do not learn anything about the mandible and
treatment for this problem while in school. They know what the symptoms are but how to correct the problem much less diagnose it. If you have time just type in neuromuscular dentistry and that may give you more insight....hope this helps karen

Closed Thread