It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
(female)

Mich5 HB User
The symptom: uncontrollable jaw or tongue movements

Can someone explain to me what this symptom is? I'm not sure if I have it or not since I don't really know what it means. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: The symptom: uncontrollable jaw or tongue movements

Although I may have had undetected tmj symptoms for a while w/o realizing it my initiation into the nightmare of tmj started with uncontrollable movement of my tongue. As odd or unbelievable as it may sound about a week after an appt with my regular dentist my tongue started to make circular motions around the upper back teeth - I couldn't stop it from doing it and it did it primarily when I tried to open my mouth and speak. When it was "at rest" it ached on one side and hurt underneath. It was then that my jaw started to open or pull sideways or more toward one side. Eventually my tongue started to feel abnormally large or swollen and I even developed sleep apnea and it started to thrust itself upward and forward quite a bit which made speaking and swallowing quite difficult and uncomfortable.

I think you would know if you have experienced something similar or not - its not quite common and since many of us are not aware that such a thing could even happen - when it does - not only is it quite scary to say the least - its quite disruptive in terms of speaking, eating, swallowing - even sleeping or being at rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread