It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
(female)

valentine92 HB User
Naproxen for TMJ?

I have been taking naproxen 500 mg 2 times a day for a week and it is really helping me a lot. Yesterday I forgot to take it and woke up in a lot of pain.

Has anyone used naproxen long term? Is there something better that has less side effects?

TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Naproxen for TMJ?

I have been taking naproxen for more than 3 yrs now - since my tmj started. I also used it several years ago for more than a yr due to a chronic jaw neuralgia which I now realize was probably a lead-in to the tmj. I take 1500 mgs daily in addition to 2 other precription pain relieving and anti-spasmatic meds. Naproxen has been around for a long time since I remember a friend of mine using it for cramps more than 30 yrs ago. In terms of long term side affects although I do not seem to have any there was some issue with NSAIDs (primarily the newer ones introduced) in general causing serious heart conditions when used long term but the drugs most linked to it were pulled by the FDA a few yrs ago. The other issues with it might be stomach or digestive problems and developing a higher tolerance level to it meaning you would need to take more to get the same affects. There are other pain relieving OTC and prescription drugs available but whether they pose any L/T adverse side affects or provide the same pain relief are probably the same as with the naproxen. Also everyone is different in terms of responding to various drugs and/or experiencing reactions or side affects so what works well for one may not do so for another. If you are concerned with the meds you are taking - even OTC or mixing OTC with prescription meds - you should perhaps speak with your dr to be on the safe side.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread