It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
(female)

MissHeadache HB User
Can anyone give me their splint success stories?

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all.

I am going to be fitted for a repositioning splint next week, which although will put me severely out of pocket, I am looking forward to in the hope that it will relieve my suffering. However after reading people's posts about splints I have noticed a lot of them are quite negative with people saying that it didn't work for them, or that it even made things worse. This worries me a bit!

Can anyone please tell me their sucess stories with splints, does it hurt, how long it took to start feeling better and whether you then went into braces etc? I know that splint therapy does not work for everyone but I want to go into my treatment feeling positive about the eventual outcome as I know a positive attitude can really help and I'm sure some success stories will restore my enthusiasm.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
(female)

sunflower22 HB User
Smile Re: Can anyone give me their splint success stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHeadache View Post
Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all.

I am going to be fitted for a repositioning splint next week, which although will put me severely out of pocket, I am looking forward to in the hope that it will relieve my suffering. However after reading people's posts about splints I have noticed a lot of them are quite negative with people saying that it didn't work for them, or that it even made things worse. This worries me a bit!

Can anyone please tell me their sucess stories with splints, does it hurt, how long it took to start feeling better and whether you then went into braces etc? I know that splint therapy does not work for everyone but I want to go into my treatment feeling positive about the eventual outcome as I know a positive attitude can really help and I'm sure some success stories will restore my enthusiasm.

I am in a repositoning splint it helps me alot and I am able to live my daily life again. It didn't take very long for my synthoms to go. I do have flar up's even now and then. It's the wrost when the change of weather or season. Or the cold gets to my jaw. People that have TMJ have it all different so the splint may work for you which would be good. Your teeth may be alittle sore when you get your splint because it can be alittle tight at first and sometimes you will need adjustments to it. Without my splint I would be in so much pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

MissHeadache HB User
Re: Can anyone give me their splint success stories?

Thanks sunflower I'm so pleased you're doing well. It gives me a bit of hope for myself! What is the name of your splint?

There must be more of you who have had success? There are tons of people on this forum and only one of you had has any luck with their splint......??

Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

sunflower22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHeadache View Post
Thanks sunflower I'm so pleased you're doing well. It gives me a bit of hope for myself! What is the name of your splint?

There must be more of you who have had success? There are tons of people on this forum and only one of you had has any luck with their splint......??
Miss headache, The name of my splint is a horseshoe splint it covers all of my upper teeth. Let me know when you get your splint.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User

I reckon the people who had success with their splints aren't posting on the board any more but are getting on with their lives. Its what I would do.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
(male)

loudawg HB User

Hi Miss Headache,
I'm in my 7th month of splint therapy - the 1st month with my new splint.
My initial splint helped relieve lots of the ear symptoms like popping / fullness and the tension / tightness in my left temple. But I also developed more symptoms (maybe not due to the splint???) like muscle spasm in back, neck, shoulders and twitching in my legs and arms. It also didn't help w/ dizziness and sinus issues. Also my jaw started to develop that crunching sound (crepitus) - weird since splints are supposed to protect against that.

I saw a 2nd TMJ dentist and he said that I should be wearing the splint even while eating. I started doing this... and started to feel better - less dizziness, less muscle problems, less sinus problems. I would say that I was 60% better. I could manage at work and even attend social events!

I switched to the 2nd TMJ dentist for treatment. He made me a new splint. I've been wearing it for 3 weeks and am feeling worse. Not a complete regression, but lots of the muscle problems are creeping back up as well as the dizziness. If I was 60% better before, now I'm back to 40%. I will see him Wednesday and let him know... also will begin trigger point injections.

Anyhow, that's my story to this point. I guess my point is that progress is not necessarily a straight line w/ splints and if things don't improve you have to keep investigating other approaches to the problem including other splints, PT, chiro, osteopath, massage, yoga, crainalsacral therapy, acupuncture etc. I've tried all those I've listed....

g'luck.
-Loudawg

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

artkitty76 HB User

Miss Headache,
I just started my splint therapy (1 week now). I felt better immediately!
I had migrains and severe jaw tension at least a few times a week, taking alieve almost every day and migraine meds a couple times a week! I haven't had a headache since I put this thing in- and the pressure in my jaw is gone.

I felt the same way before I went into this. It was just sooo much $$ and reading these posts I felt like "Who knows if this will work" But, my doctor seemed really confident that it would, and at least one week into I'm feeling more confident. I actually went into my 1 week appt. today and he said that he could see the circulation coming back into my face. And actually, I've had 3 or 4 people tell me that I look different/better/more relaxed.

I don't know the name of my splints, but one of them I have to wear on the bottom all day to re-align my jaw and then one at night to keep from clenching.

Good luck and keep us posted- I'd like to hear some more success stories too!

Closed Thread