It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User
TMJ and my jaw is shifting back i dont know what to do

i have always had problems with my jaw since i was young, just this past year and a half it really started to get bad to the point where i couldnt open my mouth all the way because of pain, and my jaw also started to shift to the right and slightly noticeable especially to me. i got a splint (very expensive) and really helped with my pain but didnt cure me, if i didnt wear it my jaw went right back shifting to the right. the dentist i was going to also would readjust my splint and use this spinning tool to "shave" or "sand" my lower left tooth down. well my dog chewed it apart and i'm looking for other options or something to actually help align my jaw. i am going to this other dentist who has some sort of splint (havent seen it yet), or should i go back to my old dentist? they are so expensive and insurance doesnt cover these splints. what would actually get rid of my TMJ, would i need braces or surgery? i really dont know what to do its driving me crazy and my jaw is shifting and getting worse everyday and i'm now getting my headaches and pain back. i can alo see that my jaw is shifting and it annoys me everytime i look a my jaw.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
(female)

sunflower22 HB User
Re: TMJ and my jaw is shifting back i dont know what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsten07 View Post
i have always had problems with my jaw since i was young, just this past year and a half it really started to get bad to the point where i couldnt open my mouth all the way because of pain, and my jaw also started to shift to the right and slightly noticeable especially to me. i got a splint (very expensive) and really helped with my pain but didnt cure me, if i didnt wear it my jaw went right back shifting to the right. the dentist i was going to also would readjust my splint and use this spinning tool to "shave" or "sand" my lower left tooth down. well my dog chewed it apart and i'm looking for other options or something to actually help align my jaw. i am going to this other dentist who has some sort of splint (havent seen it yet), or should i go back to my old dentist? they are so expensive and insurance doesnt cover these splints. what would actually get rid of my TMJ, would i need braces or surgery? i really dont know what to do its driving me crazy and my jaw is shifting and getting worse everyday and i'm now getting my headaches and pain back. i can alo see that my jaw is shifting and it annoys me everytime i look a my jaw.

Once you get TMJ you really can't cure it. But there are ways to help with the pain. Splints help some with the pain and put your jaw where it needs to be. If I didn't wear my splint then I would be in so much pain I wouldn't be able to live my daily life. Also I have to watch what I eat cause I can't eat anything hard, or chewy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
(female)

MissHeadache HB User

If your splint moved your jaw back to the right place it sounds like it was a repositioning splint. The whole idea of these is so your dentist can get your jaw back into the correct position, then you will need some kind of orthodontic work, such as braces or crowns to make a permanent change - otherwise you will need to wear your splint forever. All very expensive though. If you stop wearing the splint with nothing to support your jaw it will just move back to the old but wrong place and the pain will return.

How long were you wearing it before your dog chewed it up? If it was not long but it was helping I think you should go back and get another splint made and try to persevere with it for a bit longer this time - I've been told that I need to wear mine 24/7 for a year and even eat with it in. I don't know about insurance as we don't need it in the UK but maybe have a look and see if your medical rather than dental plan covers it, I think that's how a lot of the guys on here are getting their splints.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User

i used it about a year i think, i went to this other dentist who fitted me a splint that is alot less bulkier and i can wear it all day without talking weird so hopefully this will relax my jaw also.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
(female)

katrinasm1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: TMJ and my jaw is shifting back i dont know what to do

Kirsten,

My advise it go back to the dentist and get refitted for a another splint. My jaw has shifted to the back and is hitting the inner ear, so i get dizzy as well as pain. Does your dentist treat the muscles itself or is the splint only being adjusted? You have to treat the muscles as well as adjusting the splint. Has your dentist tested to see what muscles are being affected? Have you had x-rays and mri's done? These all have to be done in order to get that jaw back in place. And TMJ is cureable. It will take a while with treatment and you will feel pain. Pain gets worse before getting better, but man you feel good after it all. Trust me there is light at the end of the tunnel. My dentist uses a tens machine in order to treat tight and spasmed muscles. Also take note on how your posture is, see if you have you head leaning to far forward. I noted that one of my shoulders hung lower than the other. I am now wearing a back brace to correct this problem. You have to persist with treatment as muscles don't just move they have to be retrained. Give your body time to heal, the more impatient you get the more stressed you become. Once fitted with a splint you can expect pain to come with it, because it is holdiing your mouth where it needs to be. Pain does ease after wearing it for a while.

Katrina

Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User

yeah i was fitted for this splint its very nice and i can talk through it unlike my last honker. my last Dentist didnt do much. this dentist says after i have my baby in a couple months he can do xrays, do you think he will try to help? i dont feel like anyone is telling me what treatments there are for this i'm sick and tired of my bulding jaw and its also painful!

Closed Thread