It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
scared

i m freaking out abt geeting choked. so stressed whenever i eat. hate it.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
(female)

bayoulady HB User
Re: scared

I am sorry that you feel that way. I have days when I feel that way also. Try to relax because getting nervous about it always makes mine worse. The dr. told me that as long as I could breathe and swallow food, that I was ok.

Take care and God bless,

Danielle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i tell myself that too. but i will still panic if i feel discomfort. like when they is food near the throat that wont go down and u cant get it out either. i can still breathe n cough but cant get it out. then i would cough, brush my teeth, vomit, just to get it out. i do not like to eat meat too. veggie as well. i always spit out food that i think i cant chew, swallow.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Maybe you should move to a softer diet for a while - over cook your vegetables so they become mushy, eat yogurt, soups, eggs, softer meat like chopped hamburger (meat loaf, sloppy joes, stew) or ground chicken or turkey, etc. I have a gagging or choking problem as well - going on 4 yrs now - especially problematic with taking pills - so start being creative and figure out some things you like and make them differently. Also don't over fill your mouth - keep the amt you put on the fork or spoon small so you don't overwhelm your throat and invoke the gagging reflex. And don't eat too fast since that may invoke it as well - go slower and let the food fully go down before putting more in your mouth - if some of your gagging is due to throat or tongue spasms or tightening of those muscles eating slower will help keep them from reaching a stressed state and over reacting.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
(female)

MissHeadache HB User

I know how you feel. I've just started with a lower splint. I have to eat with it in. Every time I try I can't swallow properly. My dr says I should be able to eat anything but the only things I can manage are extra soft foods or soup. I can't eat anything long like noodles or spaghetti as even though they are soft I can't chew them up into small enough pieces and as a result when I swallow one end goes down my throat and the other stays in my mouth and that is so gross and makes me gag. I won't go on about that 'cos I'm probably making you feel sick. It also takes me about 3 times a long to eat half as much food as normal. I'm already quite thin and so paranoid now about losing too much weight. I'm thinking about blending all my meals but I know I must keep trying to eat with it in.

It might sound a bit odd, but maybe try to do something else while you're eating, e.g. watch the TV. Maybe if you're thinking about something else it will take your mind off of the panicky feelings and your eating will become more autonomous.

Last edited by MissHeadache; 01-24-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Closed Thread