It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

sdb1970 HB User
TMJ disc displacement

My 14 yr old has a dic displacement seen on an MRI. She has had an
Arthrocentesis and that did not work. She is scheduled to have Arthroscopic surgery Feb 15th. I am taking her for a 2nd opinion. This Dr thinks she is too young and has only had this since Oct. He thinks it seems fast to have surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this?. My daughter is very scared to have surgery.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: TMJ disc displacement

Surgery is usually the last option some resort to when all other non-surgical treatments fail. Its hard to undo what has been surgically altered so you run the risk of making things worse or developing other unforeseen complications. You could try other treatment options - if you have not already - such as splints - there are various types depending on what the problem is and what the dentist prefers. The idea with splint therapy is to reposition the jaw - usually down and forward - so the disc can be recaptured and then follow up with phase II ususally consisting of braces and/or prosthetic dental work to stabilize the bite and keep the jaw in place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
(female)

sdb1970 HB User

Thank you Thelma-Louise..She has been seeing an Oral Surgeon since this occured back in October. My insurance company didnt cover the cost for the splint (about $1000.00 with the cost of the impression) so we decided to try the meds and heat. This did not work so we decided on doing the Arthrocentesis. This also did not fix the situation. My insurance company, Tufts, now will cover the cost of the splint because it is now considered pre-operative. go figure. Thank you for replying and I hope to hear more comments and or any success stories related to her TMJ.

Last edited by sdb1970; 01-23-2008 at 11:06 AM.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
(female)

mrs anxious HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb1970 View Post
My 14 yr old has a dic displacement seen on an MRI. She has had an
Arthrocentesis and that did not work. She is scheduled to have Arthroscopic surgery Feb 15th. I am taking her for a 2nd opinion. This Dr thinks she is too young and has only had this since Oct. He thinks it seems fast to have surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments on this?. My daughter is very scared to have surgery.

Hi there i am in the same situation as your daughter and am looking at the arthroscopy to what i understand i know that everybody is different and suffers in different ways but i also have heard alot of not very successful stories relating to the splint. Thelma - louise is right though with surgery it should be a last result although the arthroscopy is a less invasive surgery and it has worked for many many people, i think we tend to ehar more of the not so successful stories rather then any good ones as they are all getting on with their lives ig uess, trust me i have tried to find some success but as of yet nil, i hope that your daughter finds her treatment that works for her and good luck with the arthroscopy

Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Good morning, I have internal derangement of both of my discs. This has been a horrible battle, and I have traveled 5 hours to Mass General to meet with with a surgeon, and was told I need arthroscopic surgery on the left side only (that is the side that is painful). I cannot get my insurance company to cover it and am on my second appeal. I have been in pain daily, rating from mild-severe, since September. My tmj started 7 years ago and would always flare up and go away with otc meds and heat and cold packs. This time it stuck. I wish 7 years ago I would have gotten treatment, because now my face is very asymmetical, and swollen on the left side, and basically sliding to the right. Please, I believe that if your daughter can get the treatment now and it is covered by insurance, she might be able to avoid further pain and suffering down the road.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

sdb1970 HB User
Unhappy Re: TMJ disc displacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass3175 View Post
Good morning, I have internal derangement of both of my discs. This has been a horrible battle, and I have traveled 5 hours to Mass General to meet with with a surgeon, and was told I need arthroscopic surgery on the left side only (that is the side that is painful). I cannot get my insurance company to cover it and am on my second appeal. I have been in pain daily, rating from mild-severe, since September. My tmj started 7 years ago and would always flare up and go away with otc meds and heat and cold packs. This time it stuck. I wish 7 years ago I would have gotten treatment, because now my face is very asymmetical, and swollen on the left side, and basically sliding to the right. Please, I believe that if your daughter can get the treatment now and it is covered by insurance, she might be able to avoid further pain and suffering

Thank you for replying to us. I am so sorry to hear that you have been in this battle for so many years..Thank you for your input on this. It is such a scary thing for us. Part of me hopes that this will cure her but another part of me thinks she will end up having this for the rest of her life. I hope this Dr from Lahey Clinic will be able to tell us something different. And maybe she wont need this surgery right now. Take care and hope all gets better with you. down the road.

Last edited by sdb1970; 01-24-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
(female)

sdb1970 HB User

Thank you all who have replied. I hope you are getting my replies because I am new to this and not sure if I am replying the correct way.

Last edited by sdb1970; 01-24-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
(male)

webo HB User

sdb1970,
I have displaced discs without reduction, along with osteoarthritis. I had an arthrocentesis that was a disaster -- it locked up my jaw and reduced my opening by 21mm. I'm not having any more surgery unless my pain gets intolerable.

Why do you feel your daughter needs arthroscopic surgery?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
(female)

sdb1970 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by webo View Post
sdb1970,
I have displaced discs without reduction, along with osteoarthritis. I had an arthrocentesis that was a disaster -- it locked up my jaw and reduced my opening by 21mm. I'm not having any more surgery unless my pain gets intolerable.

Why do you feel your daughter needs arthroscopic surgery?
Thats what her Oral Surgeon says she needs. We are seeking another opinion next week. Hopefully he can help us in another way.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Hi, again, thank you for writing me back. I am so sorry your daughter has to go through this at such an early age, and during these very important years of her life. I live in Maine, and am wondering who your daughter sees as an oral surgeon? I am seeking any help in New England. I am waiting for my ins. to approve my surgery at Mass General. What symptoms does your daughter have? I was 2 months premature and a little underdeveloped, and I wonder if that plays a factor in my tmj/face problems. Your daughter is very lucky to have you.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
(female)

sdb1970 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass3175 View Post
Hi, again, thank you for writing me back. I am so sorry your daughter has to go through this at such an early age, and during these very important years of her life. I live in Maine, and am wondering who your daughter sees as an oral surgeon? I am seeking any help in New England. I am waiting for my ins. to approve my surgery at Mass General. What symptoms does your daughter have? I was 2 months premature and a little underdeveloped, and I wonder if that plays a factor in my tmj/face problems. Your daughter is very lucky to have you.
Hi there,
My daughter had no prior warning that anything was about to happen. She was just walking home from school and when she opened her mouth to speak it would not open fully. I took her to the ER, because her pedi was closed, and they said she had TMJ. The dr could feel the spasms. We were recommended to Dr Tarro at the Merrimack Valley Oral Surgeons in Lowell. He placed her on muscle relaxers, and told us to give heat to the area. I believe her opening was 21mm. It had not gotten any better. Dr Tarro ordered an MRI that showed the discplacement on the left side. He then wanted to try the splint for her. My insurance would not cover the splint and i opted to try the meds and heat again. She continued to have a problem and we tried the arthrocentesis. While she was coming out of anesthesia she was able to open her mouth fully. but later that night she was unable to close her jaw all the way. 3 days later Dr Tarro took her stitches out and said that she needed to have arthroscopic surgery. It took awhile for Tufts to ok the surgery. It is scheduled for Feb 13th. We have a second opinion with Dr Smullin, here where I work, at Lahey Clinic in Burlington Mass. She is able to open her mouth a little wider. But when I spoke to Dr Smullin he thought it was kinda quick for surgery and that she seems a little young for the surgery. All of this started in October. I know Dr Smullin is new here at Lahey Clinic and I have heard wonderful things about him. We go tomorrow and I can update you with how our visit went. Take Care and talk soon.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
(male)

webo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb1970 View Post
Thats what her Oral Surgeon says she needs. We are seeking another opinion next week. Hopefully he can help us in another way.
Yes. But why does the OS say that? What is he hoping to accomplish with arthroscopic surgery? Is she in excruciating pain night and day? I just don't see the wisdom in prescribing surgery for such a young person, unless she has been in a bad accident that has caused damage. Many people have displaced discs and do not undergo surgery. That's my current situation. I would recommend a conservative approach, especially with a teen-ager.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
(female)

sdb1970 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by webo View Post
Yes. But why does the OS say that? What is he hoping to accomplish with arthroscopic surgery? Is she in excruciating pain night and day? I just don't see the wisdom in prescribing surgery for such a young person, unless she has been in a bad accident that has caused damage. Many people have displaced discs and do not undergo surgery. That's my current situation. I would recommend a conservative approach, especially with a teen-ager.
Her MRI showed the displaced disc. She can only open her mouth about 21mm since this happend the first week of October. We tried meds,heat and soft diet(as much as a 14 will do) and then tried the arthrocentesis. When she was coming out of anesthetia she was able to open it fully but later on it went back to the way it was. 3 days later she had her stitches out and he said ok she needs surgery. She is not in pain constantly but if she laughs too much it tends to aggravate it and obviously her eating habits have changed because of the opening of her mouth. I am sure she has eaten things that she is not suppose to eat but its gotta be hard for a teenager to deal with this. We have a second opinion tomorrow morning and I will update you with what he has to say..Thank you for all your input.

Last edited by sdb1970; 01-28-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 AM   #14
(female)

mrs anxious HB User

Hi SDB,

Hope all goes well with the 2nd opinion . I know alot of people are against surgery and have had bad experiences after certain operations but for some people surgery is the only way to go and like my o s told me if they can catch it early and deal with it then it does prevent further problems down the road, i like your daughter had no warning no nothing no symptoms not a thing. It just happened, i wont get to see my surgeon again now till march because he is on holiday and i do not want to see anyone else lower then him as he is the top man. Then they will discuss surgery with me, are they planning on sewing the disc back through arthroscopy? good luck and please keep us updated

Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
(female)

realistikk HB User
Wink Re: TMJ disc displacement

SBD, hey, i have a dr. I go @ Westport, Massachusetts. His name is Dr. Vrona, he is an alternative-care doctor. I have displaced discs as well and i am getting a treatment for 6 months and i should have it back in place at the end of that period. It is basically a massage and some in-mouth adjustments.
IMO i dont thnk surgery is a good opetion, it is like opening a Pandora's box. At least put it on hold for now, i think. But that's just my opinion.

Closed Thread