It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

muna2000 HB User
TMJ can change facial shape

I have TMJ form bulimia, just want to know if TMJ can change facial feature, since it is affect the lower jaw that might cause the jaw to become square due to the change of bite?
I have severe pain where my sinus is and temples, I want to press on it to get relieve when I do get pain to the point I cry, I press on it because I don't know what to do, I just want to crush my head.
I was in abusive relationship, he beat me and slapped me hard frequently, could that add more to my TMJ?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: TMJ can change facial shape

TMJ can result in facial changes as the muscles are forced to work differently with some over working and others under working. If the bite and/or jaw is off balance, teeth can shift and bone loss can occur which also changes the facial appearance. There are hundreds of bones in the face and head that can shift as a result of tmj. The most common causes of tmj are poor dental work and trauma or injury so yes its possible that the abuse added to it. I understand the need to press on the area that hurts most - it sometimes does feel like it helps - I used to tightly tie a bandana around the top of my head to help with the pain there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

My face shape has also changed. It looks assymetric and boxish and somewhat longer whereas it use to be small, ovalish-triangular. I thought I was going crazy but I guess I'm not alone on this. Also maybe you should look into 'Orbital blow-out fractures' that's causing the extra pain.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
(male)

HipsterDoofus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
There are hundreds of bones in the face and head that can shift as a result of tmj.
There are 22 bones in the face and head.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
(male)

vicknmanning HB User

I think this is happening to me as well although I have something else that I haven't heard anybody else discuss. I'm not sure if its tmj or not but it has affected the skin on my face and neck as well. It seems as if its stretched out and thinning. Has anybody experienced this as well? Tmj has really ruined my life.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
(female)

hapachik HB User

Hi All. Yes, TMJ can totally change the structure of your face.

I just wanted to mention that the side that I have my TMJ on is more defined. I had my husband take a profile picture of me on both sides and in the front, and you can literally see the vertical muscle in spasm that attaches to my cheekbone (I'm not sure if it's the masseter or the pterygoid), and my cheekbone looks more well-defined, whereas the other side it literally looks more relaxed and rounder. It's so subtle, but so bizarre seeing the difference.

And, I think you can totally get TMJ from being in an abusive relationship because it's like trauma, especially to the delicate areas, like the TMJ and neck areas.

Closed Thread