It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

CindyinAtl HB User
Unhappy GERD causing grinding causing TMJ/TMD?

I just got back from an appointment with an ENT. I went to him because I was having this slight congestion that just won't go away, one nostril had a sore place that I was concerned with and just wanted it checked out and I wanted to talk to him about my snoring that has started in the last couple of years. He walked me through a long questionaire after he found out I had TMJ. To make a long story short, he says I have signs of GERD, a deviated septum and my throat tissue is sagging due to age (isn't that depressing?). hThe sagging throat tissue causes snoring and slight apnea and He feels that the GERD at night makes it even worse, causing more blocking of airways and that results in clenching that has likely caused my TMJ. Imagine my shock when I thought I was going to talk to him about a sore in my nose and snoring and he says that GERD, and a deviated septum that could be contributing factors.

Now I'm more confused than every. He has given me treatment for my nostril and has me using Nasonex at night to reduce inflammation. He also wants me eating a very light meal as early in the evening as possible so that there is little food in my stomach when I lay down to sleep.

Has anyone every heard of GERD causing clenching? I have so many other possible causes that there really is no way to tell: tooth extractions, wisdom teeth out, braces multiple times, a car wreck where I was hit in the head from the side, surgery with general anesthesia, taking antidepressants and now this. ARgh! I can't wrap my head around what to do. He feels correcting the septum will allow me to breath easier. But, I don't know if I trust that the surgery is necessary. Putting me under with a tube holding my mouth open is just going to make my jaw joints worse.

Oh why oh why isn't this a cut a dried situation?

Thanks for listening.

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: GERD causing grinding causing TMJ/TMD?

Well - you know its not totally out of left field - my sister has GERD and did develop snoring and sleep apnea and has to wear the CPAP (sp?) or the mask with the air machine at night. She also started having arythmia and high blood pressure and started to clench her teeth when she started various meds for BP. The clenching led to jaw pain which led to neck and arm pain. However she never was diagnosed with tmj during any of this and she even lost tooth at one point - you would think that would create an imbalanced bite and cause tmj.

Funny thing is I too have apretty extensive medical record that a number of from my past could cause what I am dealing with now - and I still wonder from time to time if I really have tmj or something else that mimics it since many symptoms of various conditions do overlap or seem similar. I had surgery to correct a deviated septum almost 20 yrs ago but now I have pain in my left nostril constantly and often wonder if the surgery back then is not a possible cause of this or needs to be redone.

For many of us none of this is cut and dry - we go around and around in circles, so you are not alone.

Of course, when you are talking surgery a 2nd opinion is always a good idea - some insurance cos require it as well. Plus most insurance cos require proof such as x-rays that a problem needing correcting does indeed exist before they will authorize or pay for it. Whether the surgery will correct or improve your symptoms however is anyones guess, in my opinion. I would only opt for it if your symptoms are becoming truly bothersome.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
(female)

snh39 HB User
Re: GERD causing grinding causing TMJ/TMD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyinAtl View Post
I just got back from an appointment with an ENT. I went to him because I was having this slight congestion that just won't go away, one nostril had a sore place that I was concerned with and just wanted it checked out and I wanted to talk to him about my snoring that has started in the last couple of years. He walked me through a long questionaire after he found out I had TMJ. To make a long story short, he says I have signs of GERD, a deviated septum and my throat tissue is sagging due to age (isn't that depressing?). hThe sagging throat tissue causes snoring and slight apnea and He feels that the GERD at night makes it even worse, causing more blocking of airways and that results in clenching that has likely caused my TMJ. Imagine my shock when I thought I was going to talk to him about a sore in my nose and snoring and he says that GERD, and a deviated septum that could be contributing factors.

Now I'm more confused than every. He has given me treatment for my nostril and has me using Nasonex at night to reduce inflammation. He also wants me eating a very light meal as early in the evening as possible so that there is little food in my stomach when I lay down to sleep.

Has anyone every heard of GERD causing clenching? I have so many other possible causes that there really is no way to tell: tooth extractions, wisdom teeth out, braces multiple times, a car wreck where I was hit in the head from the side, surgery with general anesthesia, taking antidepressants and now this. ARgh! I can't wrap my head around what to do. He feels correcting the septum will allow me to breath easier. But, I don't know if I trust that the surgery is necessary. Putting me under with a tube holding my mouth open is just going to make my jaw joints worse.

Oh why oh why isn't this a cut a dried situation?

Thanks for listening.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,
From what I've experienced and been told by a gastorenterologist (sp?) is that TMJ can cause GERD, or other inflamation in the stomach. I too have noticed when I have stress that causes my TMJ to flare up, my stomach will start to ache as well. There is a correlation. I would bet the TMJ is what came first though.

My thinking is that your jaw muscles are the strongest in your body. Misaligned or over-clenching jawline, is going to cause issue on the rest of your body. I have (and am trying to find answers on other boards on this site) inner ear issues, ear fullness, neck and back problems, stomach issues, possible endometriosis, too much for someone my age (39). All this stuff came on later in life, but the TMJ, I've had since I was 14 because of an orthodontist hack job.

GERD could make your jaw tighter, but I would guess it's the TMJ wreaking havoc on your stomach. Either way, GERD is nothing to let go. Get it checked out by a Gastro. They may need to do a scope and give you meds to heal it.

I would check into the TMJ again and get something to keep your jaw muscles released; accupuncture, biofeedback, meditation, a mouth piece or night guard, cranial sacral I've heard helps too.

That's my take anyway. Sorry to jump in, no one's heard of me on this board, but I had to give my two sense as this is a major problem I'm struggling with too.

- - snh39

Closed Thread