It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
(male)

kris2020 HB User
my symptoms...does it sound like TMJ?

hi,

here is a list of my symptoms....do you think i could have tmj?

Tinnitus
Various noises and regular louder bursts in one or both ears. There is a lower continuous base sound which could be described as low drone or low buzz accompanied by higher pitched sounds. Intensity of louder bursts and times of worsened base levels seems to be linked to stress, jaw activity, cold air drafts and the way in which I put pressure on my head, neck and facial region whilst sleeping. Intensity of tinnitus is also affected by clenching teeth, jaw movements, forehead pressure and pressure on the temporal mandibular joint. Louder bursts are mostly accompanied with muffled or disturbed hearing, hearing returns to normal levels usually after the louder burst has gone. Hearing loss can occur without louder tinnitus burst.

Ambient sounds can affect the tinnitus and the way it sounds.

Rushing sound in ear when biting on harder foods and when bending over etc…

Hearing seems to get sharper and crisper when mouth is opened wide.

Various Clicking and Popping sounds in ears all the time
When swallowing, yawning and opening mouth wide every time. Sometimes sounds and feels like and popping in ears due to a cold and other times more like bones cracking or grinding together

Ear Fullness, itching and feeling of something being inside ear

Fullness and tense jaw feeling is usually caused by stress or anxiety. Constant stuffy feeling in the head.

Ear Fluttering

Mostly in the morning, but can persist throughout the day.

A similar fluttering (could be described as a feeling of muscles tensing) sensation occurs when touching around the ears, behind the ears and on the forehead.

A similar sensation is noted when hearing sharp sounds such as a coin being dropped on a table.

Ear pain

Pain deep in the ear and also around the ear closer to the outside of the ear. Pain usually comes on in short waves, but does also come on and last for longer periods of time.

Can last for hours and accompanied by an uncomfortable feeling in the ears and jaw afterwards.

Ear pain also occurs when driving at altitude or when flying.

Clicking sound behind ear when pressure is applied

Clicking sounds similar to cracking fingers, but milder when pressure is applied behind the ear.

Jaw joint sounds

Various joint sounds when moving jaw, head and neck and when chewing food. Jaw seems to pop in and out of place when open mouth wider.

Jaw stiffness

Usually in the morning or when lying down.

Jaw crunching

Jaw produces and crunching and grating sound released in and, what feels like, a massive crack. Jaw is painful and produces and constant grating sound when jaw is moved for the next few hours. Happens every 2 or 3 weeks, but can be more frequent.

Feels like a pressure release when jaw cracks.

Jaw joint pain

Daily/frequent. Pain around the jaw area. Pain comes on in sharp waves

Temple Pain

Daily/frequent. Pain in both temples moving upwards to the head. Comes on the waves

Displaced Jaw

Jaw moves sharply the one side when mouth is opened.

Crossed Bite

Severely crossed and crooked bite.

Jaw locking

Jaw had a tendency lock open. Jaw locking open causes head pain. feels like it catches open.

Pain Behind eyes

Missing back teeth

Eye floaters

Black stringy floaters in field of vision, doctor examined and said nothing to worry about. Mentioned as it has been linked to TMJ/TMD

Blocked sinus

Blocked stuffy sinuses all the time.

Allergies

Dust, pollen, animal hair.

Any input would be much appreciated. The reason i ask is that although i do get pain its not what i would describe as severe pain and from what i have been reading headache pain seems to be the symptom that most people with tmj complain of. I do get pain, but it comes on it shorter sharp waves more than a constent pain.

thanks for reading,
kris.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: my symptoms...does it sound like TMJ?

It definitely sounds like tmj - if you check the sticky post at the top of this forum you'll see you have many of the symptoms but what you describe (which is quite similar to what I experienced) seems to indicate its advanced or has progressed over time and thankfully not yet dibilitating or extremely painful but none the less should be treated. Not everyone gets headaches per se -some get head "pain" where the pain moves from spot to spot or is widespread or limited to the side of the head, top of the head, etc. and it often does not respond to medication or changes in diet, stress, etc. but may respond to massaging the back of the head and neck area. How available is tmj treatment in Scotland?

Closed Thread