It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

pstuart HB User
fingers in ear

When I put my finger in the ear canal, the crunching sound is very hard and loud - mulitple sounds. I know that some noise is not uncommon but this is very significant - and only on closing my right side. Please, can someone tell me what this means? I do have pain in that ear and down the sides of my anterior neck on boith sides which is intermittant, but usually present - nothing when sleeping; it progresses during the day..thanks,

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

berriepie HB User
Re: fingers in ear

The same thing happens on my right side. So i always assumed that it was my right side that was the problem. But my chiropracter said that its actually my LEFT side thats popping out of place, which is causing tightness on the right side. I have seen on a few websites that placing both pinky fingers lightly in the ears and asking the patient to open and close their jaw is one of the tests that they perform to diagnose TMJ. Have you been diagnosed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
(female)

pstuart HB User

no, I haven't, but plan to see a chiropractor in June - I do have other signs - midline deviation, ear pain, lots of face pain and under the jaw also....

Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
(female)

berriepie HB User

well it sounds like you do have tmj. i still havent heard the words "you have TMJ" but my dentist is pretty much hinting at it haha.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

pstuart HB User

so do these sounds in the ear canals always indicate some kind of dysfunction? I can't think of another reason - they sure don't sound like the "normal" jaw sounds that are often considered normal - also - is deviation ever considered normal? It's very sever closing and opening - I'm just so scared this is something other than tmj?!?!? As I said, I have no pain while sleeping, but once I'm up and around, the pain in the jaws start and the jaw itself is sore if I push on it! Thanks for your feedback!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
(female)

berriepie HB User

well im not really sure they ALWAYS do, but considering you have more than one symptom of TMJ then its kind of likely. I did the finger-in-the-ear thing with my boyfriend and i couldnt feel anything, yet when i do it to myself i can feel the joint popping out! I get the deviation too, to the left side. i consider any sort of deviation severe because frankly your jaw isnt meant to do that!

im not sure what you mean by "pain when sleeping". when do you feel pain? my jaw feels particularly stiff and sore when i wake up in the morning, and i cant open it more than 1 or 2 inches. my jaw also hurts throughout the day and at night time because i guess you use your jaw more throughout the day for eating, talking, swallowing etc. haven't you been to see your regular dentist?

Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
(female)

pstuart HB User

I hate to admit this and I'm embarrasses, but haven't been to a dentist in ages!! I plan to go in a few weeks when school is out - I'm a teacher... I don't know whether to go to a chiropractor or a local dentist who is known to have a tmj background. When I mentioned no pain when sleeping, what I mean is that when asleep I have no pain - if I have to get up to use the bathroom, etc, no pain - it's only when I wake up in the morning the whole thing begins. It has realloy changed my life and I fear it is something really bad....

Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Question Ear related question

I agree. You definitely must see a dentist! Tell them and say how is my tempromandicular joint looking.

I hope im not out of topic here but what kind of earpain do you suffer? Dull or shap stabbing pain?My dentist told me different pains in the ear mean different things?

What kind of pain do you people all suffer?

Im praying for you all xo

Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
(female)

berriepie HB User

pstuart: no need to be embarrassed! my mother hasnt been to a dentist in about 20 years! personally i really like my dentist so i dont feel anxious when i go, but i understand why alot of people do. i suggest go to a dentist to begin with, explain your symptoms etc. but dont mention "TMJ" because he might rush to diagnose you with that, instead of coming up with a diagnoses on his own, based only on your symptoms.

maybe you grind your teeth, but only do it an hour before you wake up, i dont know. as i mentioned before, some people feel worse in the morning, some througout the day. it just depends on each individual. i sleep on my stomach so i tend to get alot of neck pain, because im grinding with my jaw in an akward position, twice as bad! i know you're scared but once you see a health professional you will feel alot better.

temera2: my earache used to be alot worse than it is now. i guess i can only describe it as a deep, searing pain. my other symptoms are:

jaw ache/pains
jaw deviation (to left)
popping/clicking when i open or move jaw forwards
toothache/sensitive teeth
headaches (temples, forehead, sides of head behind ears)
stiff neck
back aches
scalp tenderness
pain in cheeks

what about yourself? take care.

Last edited by berriepie; 05-28-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
(female)

pstuart HB User

Thanks for your replies: My symptoms (self-diagnosed) are:
Deviation - significant- opening and closing
Teeth don't match up - sometimes to the left,sometimes to the left of midline!
Neck and upper back in spasm almost all day; subsequent pain throughout face - under jaws on jaws behind both ears - it moves around
terrible crepitus - multiple sounds when closing only, not on opening
popping moving jaw laterally
with fingers in ears can really feel the crpitus - can also be felt in front of ears
sometimes - not always - deep ear pain/ comes and goes
As I said - no pain whatsoever lying down or reclining inchair at night - only when I wake does the cycle start.... thanks so much for your input....

Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
(female)

berriepie HB User

well to be honest it does sound like you suffer from TMJ but again you'll have to consult your dentist. why is it though you think that pain should worsen when lying down? x

Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
(female)

pstuart HB User

I just find it unusual to find relief when lying flat - muscles are relaxed - thank God I don't have it when sleeping - at least I know there won't be pain then.... that's why it seems muscular to me - lots of back neck and upper back spasm is when my jaw hurts the most.... well, I'll find out soon enough I hope. I don't know what else this could be............

Old 05-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Unhappy hey there please help me

Gosh i hate tmj so much hey ! I just wish there was a miracle cure, have you all tried supplements ; it repairs you faster , i take 3 fishoil tablets are day ( yes they taste gross) and magnesium tablets, all this is to lower muscle spasm!

Your dentist will have a much better idea of what you have!Thanks everyone for replying to my message.

I wish i had relief when sleeping, mine just comes and go's to its hearts desire! Its so annoying! I never have got backaches, but the earaches are the only thing, my jaw pain is ALWAYS there!

Do earaches ever go away, this is becoming sad because i cant imagine a life without them, i may get relief one day for seven hours, i get excited them once again the earache comes back.

My earache feels like a sharp stabbing icepick, it lasts only 2 seconds or so but when it comes it comes with a vengence. I find repeating to myself Ôts my muscle not your ear" helps!

I cant handle knowing my ears are the one hurting, i am to my witsend!

Is it normal for this to happen 3 weeks down splint therapy?

I seriously dread waking in the morning because of my earaches. For the person who wrote there ears arent as bad as they used to me, how did your pain subside.

I am wearing a lower splint... is it normal to be in so much pain ? is it part of the recovery process? The earaches are driving me insane! I feel like deep itching as well and as though something is moving in a my ear like a spider ( is that the muscles trying to adjust themselves due to the splint?) help!

I wish the rest of you best and relief!

God Bless xo

Please write back!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Unhappy Help

Hey guys im ot reverting subjects or anything i am writing in this areas because i like everyones advice here!

My earaches are so bad on the left ear! I have been given a lower splint and am 3 weeks in to it ! Why wont my earaches go away ! Please write back someone , is this normal for it to stay ?

Does anyone at all know?

Anyone please respond

Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
(female)

berriepie HB User

i hate tmj too but i guess we could all be alot worse off. i take 1 multivitamin and one omega 3-6-9 capsule a day. but not for tmj, just for general well-being

im not sure about splint therapy. i have a soft guard for my lower teeth at night to stop damage when grinding , to be honest its making my jaw pain worse because its changing my bite!

im not really sure how i got rid of the earache, it still comes and goes. i take 10mg Amitriptyline for my tension headaches and the earache has seemed to of disappeared since starting this but that could be a co-incidence!

i also have itchy ears , i think its probably just your muscles adjusting. speak to your dentist about your splint and ask if the pain you are feeling is normal. you could try applying a heat pack or ice pack to your jaw. altho i read that ice packs are better as they reduce swelling.

try and relax xx

Closed Thread