It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

pstuart HB User
Why does pain move around?

Why is it the pain moves around from one day to the next? One day it's in the ears, around/in front of the ears, in the cheeks, high on the cheeks, in the jaw... always it's somewhere. I continue with the deviation on opening and closing and the hard clicks/ crepitus on closing. Can anyone relate? Thanks...

Old 05-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pipdog HB Userpipdog HB User
Re: Why does pain move around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstuart View Post
Why is it the pain moves around from one day to the next? One day it's in the ears, around/in front of the ears, in the cheeks, high on the cheeks, in the jaw... always it's somewhere. I continue with the deviation on opening and closing and the hard clicks/ crepitus on closing. Can anyone relate? Thanks...
I can relate: my tmj dysfunction has three settings; sore facial muscles, pain behind my left eye , and general stiffness/malaise. Its never these symptoms together, always one at a time, coming then going and being replaced by the next. I can't see any logic as to which one I will get. Maybe the reason is that at some point the stressed body part can adapt to the unbalance but then some other area starts to take the strain and back and forth
I guess I need an adjustment to my appliances because after he fixes everything with what he calls 'the correct vertical dimension' I get an amazing sense of calmness in my body

Last edited by pipdog; 05-25-2008 at 11:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
(male)

Rawspice HB User

I can also relate and I always thought it was strange. If my jaw hurts a lot my shoulder will hurt less and vice versa, the same goes when I have head pain as well etc. When my jaw was killing me, I used to think well at least my shoulder seems to have been cured...but then it would come back again and I would think why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipdog View Post
Maybe the reason is that at some point the stressed body part can adapt to the unbalance but then some other area starts to take the strain and back and forth
Yeah maybe that's it. pipdog, are you being treated on the NHS or are you going private?

Last edited by Rawspice; 05-29-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
(female)

angel72 HB User

I have the same issue, for me the pain fluctuates from ear pain, pain in the back and sides of my neck and the very top of my head. I do think that clenching at night is a problem for me. I have a splint and I have noticed that sometimes I will wake up clenching. The next day my ears hurt very badly so my guess is muscle spasms.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
(female)

pstuart HB User

Do you have pain behind the ear in the jaw notch and down into the lower jawline?- I also have pain high in the cheek - very tight - then it goes away....

Old 06-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Rawspice:
Pipdog lives in Ireland and is is being treated just outside Washington DC.
Every 8 weeks I have to go over for adjustments but I think I'm so lucky to:

a) be able to still work and afford it all
b) not to have allowed myself to be drugged up by unknowing docs here.

Last edited by pipdog; 06-12-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Who are you seeing in DC, Pipdog? Seems like you have been able to make some positive improvements relatively quickly. I thought you were being treated where you lived.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

i only get earaches, jawpains and tension headaches, i have never suffered anything more with my tmj , but gosh the earaches hurt...

Hey angel what kind of splint do you wear? Im curious to know because i get exactly what you get angel72... What kind of earaches do you get and what splint are you wearing....

Let me know as soon as you can

P.s the rest of you are doing great ok , we will be free of this one day , lets just hang in there...

p.p.s Chiropractor didnt help me at all.. he made my pain worse on Thursday .. never again... i guess its different for everyone...

Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Thelma Louise hi and thanks for all the info / feedback you have provided on here.
The doc I see is Brendan Stack in Tyson's Corner, its basically part of DC but over in Virginia.

His diagnostics are so thorough and he won't make any treatment decision until he sees the MRI. He's been at it 42 years, lectures all over the place, and has other long distance patients. All his staff are so nice and friendly. He's given me a lot of printed guides and explanations of his treatment plan and his office manager is emailing me asking how I'm doing so I feel they are really going that extra mile.

He gave me a DVD of movement disorder patients he has treated and it was like medical magic. These people come into his office practically unable to walk, he places an appliance on their lower teeth, patient registers the correct 'vertical dimension' and off they go walking again normally. One particular woman who was in a total mess prior to treatment actually did a cartwheel in his office.

I found the DVD quite shocking to watch, the medical profession doesn't make the jaw connection and is unable to help these patients essentially 'warehousing' them. But it has helped me to understand just what a devastating effect a misaligned mandible can have on your entire body. Who would have though such a thing?

My TMJ issues haven't manifested themselves with a movement disorder but the treatment I am getting is the same as he gives to these patients, a lower pivot appliance and an upper ALF to correct the cranial distortions. Lately I've been getting this feeling that my entire body is resetting - its hard to describe ,its kind of like I have a new body or posture and I'm getting used to it, its so weird. Each time after he adjusts everything I feel a lot better but I notice it doesn't hold as over time I slowly wear down the appliance, I can see little grooves in it now but will be back in a week to get it built up again.

The orthos here in Ireland are only concerned with cosmetics and 'beautiful smiles' and I run a mile from them because that is so not what I need. I think there are two FJO dentists here one of whom Stack trained. I contacted him and asked if he would take on the adjustments and if it was a good idea to change dentist during treatment. He was very upfront and said it is never a good idea to change so I'm sticking with Stack

Last edited by pipdog; 06-12-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

pigdogg i agree, i stay away from those dentists too.. have your clicking stopped.. you are doing a great job hey .. just budge in alittle longer and in a few months you'll be telling the rest of us how well you've recovered....... i cant wait for a few more months, hopefully my pain will subside..

Closed Thread