It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
(female)

stuckinwoods HB User
could this be from my TMJ

i have this strange sensation in my head. most times it's right on the top, but it radiates from the left side, to the forehead as well. it sort of feels like my head is expanding. i know that's weird but that's the best i can describe it. there is no actual pain involved but it drives me nuts. i don't know if it could be sinus or my TMJ (because i have the TMJ on my left side and that's where it actually started, on the left side) or if it's related to the severe bout of vertigo i had a couple winters ago -- had to be hospitalized for it. is this something any of you have experienced? do you think i should go to the doctor? i don't have it everyday -- it will go away for a few days, but then returns for a few days and i don't wake up with it -- it usually starts in the late afternoon and continues throughout the evening. i guess i'm worried it could be something very serious, but i hate going to the doctor all the time. thanks.
stuckinwoods

Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: could this be from my TMJ

Its not as weird as it may sound - it could actually be due to the cranial plates or sutures shifting. When my tmj symptoms first started I could feel my forehead, nose, eyebrows and cheek bones shift - thought I was imagining things, then I noticed the shape of my head changed and one ear dropped down but was further back than the other ear. I had pain and tingling all over my head and face so I couldn't tell if one thing moved first or if it all moved at the same time.

If you wear a splint to treat your tmj with it could be it is repositioning your jaw or bite and this in turn is allowing the cranial bones to shift or move. However if you start to notice some asymetry or imbalance in your facial features or head shape, mention it to your tmj dr so he can at least evaluate it and address the issue. If you are not treating the tmj it basically means your body may be adjusting itself to changes in your bite or jaw position. Either way, most likely it is related to the tmj but if it persists and you are still concerned then you could ask your dr or a neurologist for a cranial/brain MRI to rule out other possible causes or conditions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
(female)

stuckinwoods HB User

thanks so much for this info. it does make sense that tmj would cause all this shifting of things. i do not have a tmj doctor but i need to get one becausei have a feeling a lot of my head/neck problems are due to it. thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
Its not as weird as it may sound - it could actually be due to the cranial plates or sutures shifting. When my tmj symptoms first started I could feel my forehead, nose, eyebrows and cheek bones shift - thought I was imagining things, then I noticed the shape of my head changed and one ear dropped down but was further back than the other ear. I had pain and tingling all over my head and face so I couldn't tell if one thing moved first or if it all moved at the same time.

If you wear a splint to treat your tmj with it could be it is repositioning your jaw or bite and this in turn is allowing the cranial bones to shift or move. However if you start to notice some asymetry or imbalance in your facial features or head shape, mention it to your tmj dr so he can at least evaluate it and address the issue. If you are not treating the tmj it basically means your body may be adjusting itself to changes in your bite or jaw position. Either way, most likely it is related to the tmj but if it persists and you are still concerned then you could ask your dr or a neurologist for a cranial/brain MRI to rule out other possible causes or conditions.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
(female)

pmiller517 HB User

I don't see why not. I have had radiating pain into my neck and shoulders, tingling and numbness in my face, headaches, dizziness, and now hearing loss/stuffiness in my ears. I am told it is all from the TMJ. I see a chiropractor presently. He adjusts the jaw area and There is an internest who comes to his office one day a week to do lidocaine injections. You might want to look into this Priscilla

Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
(female)

stuckinwoods HB User

thanks Priscilla,
i never knew chiropractors treated TMJ. i'm going to check this out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller517 View Post
I don't see why not. I have had radiating pain into my neck and shoulders, tingling and numbness in my face, headaches, dizziness, and now hearing loss/stuffiness in my ears. I am told it is all from the TMJ. I see a chiropractor presently. He adjusts the jaw area and There is an internest who comes to his office one day a week to do lidocaine injections. You might want to look into this Priscilla

Closed Thread