It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Unhappy Gosh, my two splints hae worsened me.. help... cant breathe!!!!

Hey everyone i tried waiting a week to post a new thread so i could tell you how i am going and how my 2nd upper splint was treating me....

I cant believe it hey, you know what has occurred.. i now was forced to purchase a upper splint which i got 3 days ago and the lower splint which i have worn for 6 weeks and boy i cant believe it .. my ear still aches!!!!!

So get this i have to also see a chiropractor and also a podiatrist! i got my orthopedics 2 days ago and they helped me walk better as i used to walk with my feet outward but now my back hurts! However they are worth the money as i walk better now.. so i'm not whining about having to spend money on that.. however i have to always do all these exercises!

So now i must go see a chiropractor twice a week and podiatrist every 6 weeks and my dentist every month.. they all charge so much but they are all intertwined and work with one another and my dentist is a freak and goes to me if you don't go to chiro you will be paying more in the long run as i have to keep changing your 2 splints which the lower one cost me $1000 and the upper on $500.... i seriously bawled my eyes out! i just couldn't believe now i have to wear two splints... it is so uncomfortable and i cant EAT!!!!

And all this is for is to fix my earaches.. i don't have ANY other symptom except most probably depression due to what has occurred! So as i speak now both my ears are hurting .. my right and left! It was originally the right that got better and then the left and now its back to both .. and i am left with no money .. cant eat and oh did i mention have no life whatsoever as all i do is cry!

I am technically on holidays now and was forced to defer 2 subjects due to my ears and will be quitting my job as i haven't been able to go back as they require talking as i work in retail so i have to quit

Does anyone know why i have to take all these precautions .. i have made so many changes ... and still i feel no better as my ears still ache!????

i take my supplements (the magnesium and fish oil pills (5 a day) ... and am just going crazy.... i want to die hey .. my mum called me a problem child and i think maybe i'm better off dead! This has messed me up so much i dread social situations as i cant be myself ... i just want to be alone!!! and i cant help compare... why doesn't bad stuff happen to bad people.. everyone on this board is so sweet and lovely but all the evil people always have things easier...i think whats the point of being good now to myself.. im still in pain and all the bad people still have better lives than i ever will!

Im tired of this ... i used to believe in God and the scariest thing for me is my faith has gone haywire and shaky i don't feel like praying as i think whats the point im destined to be in pain .. and live a bad life...even when i smile sometimes i say STOP your tmj will come back .. im not entitled to laugh and be happy! i dont know why my ears still hurt ... is it adjusting... i dont want to take drugs for the pain so i just leave it... anyone know what they would do if they were me..... please help me ...

Love you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Unhappy Re: Gosh, my two splints hae worsened me.. help... cant breathe!!!!

Someone help me , my right ear aches REALLY badly, i cant breathe, why do they keep switching sides... oh gosh .... i can feel the right hand sides muscle click...oh gosh help me someone... my stomach is wrenching itself... how do i keep going...i am fearing pain all the time...i want to die .. oh gosh help me

Old 06-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User
Re: Gosh, my two splints hae worsened me.. help... cant breathe!!!!

temera2, I have been following many of your posts. While I don't discount your pain at all, I am more concerned about your emotional self. Sometimes we can get so caught up in whatever is bothering or wrong with us that we lose sight of everything else. You seem to be getting more tangled and tangled in all of this and it is the only thing you are focusing on. Trust me, I know the feeling!

I do understand that feeling of - I am upset because of this, if it weren't for this I would be OK. That is a pretty normal feeling shared by most people. However, sometimes we need to let go. By letting go I mean just telling yourself to let go. Let your body go for a few minutes, let your mind go for a few minutes. Let yourself breath. Consciously tell yourself to "let go". Also put your attention somewhere else - on a book, on a walk, on a TV show, on whatever you like to do. The more we focus on ourselves and the pain the more it hurts! I know that is easier said than done, however any relief from the pain and anxiety even for a few minutes is helpful. It retrains your mind away from the pain and problems. I will give you an example. My ears ring a lot and my face aches a lot due to much dental work thus resulting in TMJ. Last night I went to a ball game with my family. Well, for four hours I didn't hear the ringing and I didn't hurt. Why? Because I was NOT into myself. What I was into was my family, having a good time, relaxing, enjoying the summer breeze, etc. I chewed a hot dog and nachos - not easy with my new partials, I leaned on my hands watching the game, I smiled A LOT and I felt great. So, I wake up this morning and my ears are ringing and my face hurts. I have a choice - I can either spend the day worrying about it and feeling sorry for myself or I can get on with the day. What should I do? I can work in my garden for hours, lifting and hauling, pulling weeds, watering, planting and you know what - I don't hear the ringing and I don't hurt!!! The mind just focuses on something else, something that brings pleasure. I am not super strong, I have had many bad times and times of pain and fear throughout my life and times I have been caught in that maze, but when we choose life we are given it. The point is, I felt better last night and so CAN YOU!

Your ears ache, so let them ache! Sounds weird right, but just let them ache. This isn't going to kill you, it is not going to change immediately, so let them ache as you get on with your day. Do what you can, when you can without focusing too much on the pain. You CAN smile. It has even been proven through science that smiling actually raises our mood and helps us heal. It is not going to make the TMJ worse. Are you not entitled to be happy because your ears hurt or because something emotional is hurting you? Think on that question a bit, for you are entitled to be happy. From the sounds of things it is not just the TMJ that is making you feel this way. Stress and our emotions make pain worse. Right, I can hear you saying - if I didn't have this pain in my ears I wouldn't have stress. Is that really true or are there areas in your life that need attention too? Are other things upsetting you which makes you tighen all the muscles in your face which then makes the aching worse? I read recently - "let the pain be a barometer to how you are feeling emotionally". Think a bit on that too.

Understand that everyone has bad things in their life and things they must deal with even the "bad people". It is not what we are given but how we choose to handle what we are given. God is not intending you to suffer, but he is hoping to teach you. Take some time to listen to what that teaching might be.

I would recommend two authors to you - Dr. Sarno and Dr. Weeks. While Dr. Sarno deals with back pain mostly I think you would find his theories most helpful. Dr. Weeks deals with anxiety and she was amazing. So many helpful things in her easy to read books.

It is very easy to get caught in the maze of pain and trying to find answers, but I have found in life that sometimes the answers come in the most simple of ways. Those ways might be what I have said above and by also doing a few simple things to make yourself feel better like warm or cold packs on your ear and face and just relaxing with one of those as you watch TV. You can drive yourself crazy going from one doctor to the next and as great as doctors might be sometimes the simple is best. I went to a great, old fashioned ENT and his gentle nature and acceptance of life did more for me than any test or medicine could.

I do not at all mean to make your problem seem trite or to discount your pain. But I do believe that in order to heal that you have to step outside of yourself. Look to people far worse off than you. Watch how a child deals with cancer, how a person without a leg learns to run again. Do they, did they suffer? Most definitely, but it was and is their will and their ability to see beyond that got and gets them through. Dig deep within yourself and find that. Just for a day, or even a few hours, stop complaining, stop looking for answers, stop concentrating on yourself. Take the day or the hour and be kind to yourself for sure, but look out into the world with hope and look out into the world as something grand. And most of all, reach out to others. There is an old saying - "This will turn to your good by and by". Let this turn to your good for there are people who need you, people you can help, and a life to be lived. And most of all, there is always hope if we choose to seize it.

Thinking of you,

glowing4

Old 06-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

onedustytrail HB User
Re: Gosh, my two splints have worsened me.. help... cant breathe!!!!

I have BAD TMJ and my Right Ear kills me frequently.

My doctor Rx'd me ear drops called > Aurodex drops.
It numbs the ear canal so the pain is numbed away. It helps , but not 100 %.

I had an upper splint and it bruised my gums and made me gag.
I had to get rid of it.

I need help too. Anyone have any good suggestions ?

Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Glowing - Excellend response, well said and poigant (sp?) - it was honest and wise behyond words - just overall great advice that comes from the heart.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 06-28-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Thank you Thelma-Louise. I appreciate your kindness and your response meant a lot. Most importantly, I hope it helps her. Even small glimmers or hope or insight help the healing to begin. Hoping you are feeling better for you are a shining of example of "this will come to your good by and by" - I watch and read how you reach out to people. Bravo!

glowing4

Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
(female)

justmarj HB User

Glowing4
Thank you for your wonderful words of wisdom. They are so helpful for anyone with anxiety, pain or worry. I am going to copy them and put them where I can see them every day.
I hope they are helpful for Temera2 also.

Marji

Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Lightbulb You're all my Guardian Angels

Ok firstly thank you so so so so much for your response....umm i'm actually lost for words! i wish i could give you a big hug! Glowing 4 i seriously showed my family what you wrote to me and they were like thank gosh you have a board where people are so inspiring and smart and they are begging me to take your awesome advice on hand and i certainly am ... i appreciate everyone’s responses.. and i seriously never disregard them but oh gosh as we all know times just get so so rough!

I'm so glad i have you all in this board! And seriously i am here for you all too! Sometimes i feel overwhelmed as i know you guys so well and I feel like I wish I could help relieve all your pain! However i don't disregard anything and i am grateful for this board to bring us all close together!

Glowing you are right i do get caught up in other agendas! its just i haven't been able to go to my retail job and support my mum and i was freaking out.. but yeah it was a vast array of things my dentist isn't very nice and i don't want to go to chiro but my dentist always peer pressures me and if i don't listen to what she says its my fault but the thing is i don't want to change dentists because ive been with her through all this splint therapy! So im going to take on your advice , take one day at a time and let you know how i go! The same applies for the rest of you... forgive me if i slip again... i feel so ashamed sometimes to write my crazy thoughts down but the way responses are written are so so kind... no one ever discards my pain and that means the world to me! I need to force my self to study hard so I could complete my 2 deferred examinations! I just wish the earache would go away so I could really do my best!

Yesterday i thought my right hand ear would explode and i hung in there but then i burst out crying because it was hard holding it all in! i listened to you though glowing4 and i went to the shops with my big brother ( he is the best brother in the world and supports me to the very end!) but yeah my earache wasn't as bad! Today it came back and I pretend like its not there but then I get dizzy as I feel overwhelmed and I start anticipating when it will hurt next and how I will deal with it , its like every blow to it makes me more insane!

Teach me how i can break out of the habit to not hold my ears its SOOOO intense that my body jumps i wish i could deal with it better.. so much!

Once again thank you so much for everything... i am dreaming of the day we will be free of this ....

You will be hearing from me again soon , however i hope to hear from all of you before then hehe Love you all so much ...

Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

temera2,

Well, first of all, you taught yourself a great deal by going shopping with your brother. In your words - my ear ache wasn't as bad! Why wasn't it as bad? You know the answer to that. Now step back from that entire situation and look at it. What did that experience show you, what did it teach you? Most importantly, you had a good time and you felt pretty good. Pat yourself on the back and keep moving towards those experiences.

Secondly, it is totally OK to cry. No one expects you to be some kind of rock. Crying, along with smiling, has been proven to help us. So, go ahead and have a good cry, it helps your body to let go, and then start again. By trying to "hold it all in" you are actually making it worse! By tensing and waiting for the pain to come you are making it worse. This is not a criticism - it is actually a very normal and human thing to do. But see, by tensing you are tightening everything in your body including your facial muscles which then bring on the pain or make it worse. You are anticipating the pain before you even have it! Can you understand that? If you can then you can begin to let go.

You are getting dizzy for the same reason. When we are scared and worried our bodies set up to handle that. It releases adrenalin. It is the old "flight or fight" response. Our bodies function to help us. So I will tell you the much used example. If you were a caveman and you came upon a huge, mean bear you had two choices. You could either fight or run. Now, your body does not know which choice you are going to make so it prepares for both. It kicks out the adrenalin to protect you, allow you to fight or to run. Well, you are not fighting a bear, but you are fighting the fear and your pain so your body does what it was meant to do. You don't fight, you don't run. So what happens? You get dizzy from all of that adrenalin that has no where to go.

Now, what do you do about all of that? I strongly, strongly urge you to read the books by Dr. Sarno and by Dr. Weeks. They are easy to read and inexpensive and can be bought online. There is much you can learn and understand from them. These two people have helped thousands to understand anxiety and pain and are highly respected doctors. Dr. Weeks is the foundation for much of the anxiety treatments used today. And, let's be honest, you are dealing with a great deal of anxiety from all of this. Again, very normal, but the releasing of the anxiety and learning how to deal with that would surely help you to feel better.

In the meantime, first understand that you are afraid. ALL of your posts point to that. Again, normal. However, it is the fear that is making things harder. So, you begin by understanding. You understand that you are afraid and you understand what that fear is doing to your body. You say to yourself - yes, there it is again, the dizziness is back, I am afraid the pain will start. First recognize it! Now you say to yourself - It can't hurt me, I know what this is, I have had it before, I survived, I am strong enough to deal with the pain if it comes, and I will do my best to relax with it when it does. Use whatever words help you. Dr. Weeks uses the word "float". In other words, stop fighting that pain, float through it. Let it come, let it wash over you, and let it go. The fighting is what makes it worse. If "float" doesn't work then find another word - "let go", "relax", "calm", "I can" - whatever sounds right to you.

I do not mean for this to sound easy. It isn't. But, once you have the understanding, the fear begins to go, the body rights itself, and you are on your way. By learning this and by understanding, then you are better able to handle the physical issues you are dealing with. See, your fear is making you rush from one doctor to the next, from one treatment to the next, and even staying with a dentist you are not sure you even like! Your fear lets her "patronize you"! OK, again normal. But, look what your fear is doing!! You are not even thinking through for yourself the treatment that is right for YOU. Not for anyone else, or what worked for anyone else, or what one doctor says vs another, but what is right for you! Yes, we as patients often have to go from doctor to doctor until we find what works for us. But, don't be intimidated by that or by anyone because of your fear and your pain. Some doctors fit well with us, some don't. Some treatments work well for us, some don't. You know in your gut temera what is right for you. Lose your fear and you will find it.

Let me end by giving you another example. I allowed my dentist, who I think a great deal of and like immensely, talk me into a new kind of denture partials. Well, months and months into this, with not being able to eat, losing weight, not having them fit properly or work for me, lots of pain both physical and emotional, I finally walked into his office and said - I need my life back, let's start again and give me the standard partials. He kindly agreed, knew that I knew my body, and we started anew. That took two months to complete and again lots to get right, BUT I knew what was going to work for me, what I would be comfortable with AND I am eating again. What a joy to eat. Are they perfect? No. Is this always going to be a challenge in my life? I think so. Did TMJ result from all of this? Probably. BUT, I eat and I eat well and wow what a joy that is. My point is that maybe your ears might always be an issue for you, but maybe, most probably the intensity will diminish and you will get back on with life.

Read the books temera, learn to control the fear, know inside of yourself what is right for you, and "float", "let go". It is a process and not an easy one, but it is well worth it. "Let go" and know people are cheering you on and that indeed this will "come to your good by and by".

glowing4

Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

glowing4 HB User

Let me add that yes I do agree, as written on another post, that anxiety is often used as an excuse to patients when a doctor can not find an answer. And, yes, I do most certainly agree that TMJ can produce dizziness and a multitude of symptoms. I do not mean in any way by my previous post to discount that or to make anxiety a simplistic answer to what many are dealing with. I do believe however that our fear and our anxiety make our problems and our pain harder. I sincerely hope that I have not offended anyone by making it sound like I think anxiety is the reason for I surely do not think that. I do believe however that when we can relax our fears that we find better answers and that our bodies work better to help us heal.

glowing4

Old 06-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

Kudos Glowing - another great post - its so true that our own fear can intensify the degree of our pain. Funny thing about pain tolerance - having been in numerous accidents when younger - even falling out of a car while it was moving once - it seemed I had a higher tolerance back then to pain then now - so understanding why the body perceives the pain to be unbearable or intolerable can also help us control it to a certain degree as well.

Temera - I still tend to keep my hand on the lower left side of my jaw - the side that always hurts - at first it seemed comforting and then I found it had become a habit or a crutch - and that crutch started to act as a reminder that I was living with tmj. So I promised myself one day I wouldn't put my hand up to the left side of my face for an hour one day, then 2 hrs the next day and then I said I wouldn't do it all day long - and I started doing it - now I only tend to do it by the evening when I am tired and my defenses are bit lower - so try it and see if you can challenge yourself to stop clutching your ears in pain. Also try wearing a scarf or bandana tied tightly around your ears/head - it may counterbalance the pain and divert it a bit if not lessen it - wrap it under your hair at the base of your neck, up over your ears and tied in a pretty bow on the top of your head - if you feel funny walking around during the day wearing it - do so when you are staying indoors or at night only - I still do this to help with my head and face pain and find it helps take my mind off of it. Hope that helps a bit and that you are seeing better days soon.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 06-30-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Closed Thread