It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
(male)

kantele HB User
Underbite correction

Hi everyone,
I have an underbite which is...complicated should i say?You see,i need about 10-12mm setback,which is big movement.But when i don't show my teeth,it is not so visible,i mean you can't say the mandible is too large.Even the oral surgeon who i visited told me that.The problem for me is the smile.I am embarassed for it and usually don't want to show my teeth.I was told that i need both upper and lower surgery to correct it.Plus,i don't have any functional problems.I eat,talk perfectly (a little strange for a big underbite),nor any tmj problems.And the oral surgeon said that as my bite will not change anymore (i am 23),i will not have any functional problems in the future.So,the big question for me is,is it worth it,having upper and lower surgery,purely for cosmetic reasons?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: Underbite correction

You may want to ask this question in the Dental Problem Forum - I am pretty sure I have seen some posts from members who have had the same or similar surgery. From what I have read it can be quite extensive surgery and may require that the jaws be wired closed for several weeks while the bone heals - I am assuming you are referring to the orthognathic surgery where they break the jaw bones towards the back part closest to the ear and then reposition them forward using pins and wires to secure their new position? From what I have read most people who under go this then need to wear braces to also reposition their teeth afterwards as well. Did the surgeon say whether your bite would change as a result of the surgery and if so what needed to be done if anything about it. Of course the major concern is that as a result you may develop functional problems later on - I'm not sure anyone can definitely answer that 100%, but whether its worth taking the chance, the best you can do is seek other opinions from other drs and those that have had it done. Good Luck.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 07-22-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
(male)

kantele HB User

Yes,it is orthognathic surgery and the surgeon said my upper jaw must be brought forward,and the lower jaw must be pulled back.I think they call it bimaxillary surgery,as it is done on both jaws.I opened this topic so anyone who has done this prochedure could tell me IF is it worth for purely cosmetic reasons,as i said i don't have any functional problems.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
(male)

onewithasoul HB User

I have an underbite too. I think that If it bothers you or makes you feel self conscious that you should go ahead and do it. I noticed in some pictures I look like an ape because my jaw seems pronounced. Im going to get it done. Good Luck !!!

Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Please think long and hard before having that surgery. I have a friend in his 20's who had the surgery 3 times and he's still in a lot of pain. Find the most qualified surgeon and maybe speak to some of his patients who had the surgery. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
(male)

kantele HB User

Thank you for your replies,
Believe it or not,i have been thinking about this surgery for 3,5 years.The problems were i was too busy,and hadn't the money then.And of course no support,which i don't have now too because my family don't want me to do this for cosmetic reasons.And all this time i thought i need only lower jaw setback.The surgeon i visited recently said upper will be needed too.This makes sense,because when a setback is big,the relapse is possible,and the airway size is reduced too.

Closed Thread