It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Curious- how many of us are in PT, seeing and osteopath or chiro?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Curious- how many of us are in PT, seeing and osteopath or chiro?

Who are you seeing and did your dentist recommend it and what type of tmj dentist do you have.

I see a orthopedic tmj dentist and he insists on me seeing an cranial osteopath and does pretty much what she tells him as far as bite adjustments.

(I am curious about this because I know a lot of tmj dentist dont insist you see a chiro or anything, and I'm curious I guess how much it matters in the progress of our healing, also I think my dentist is relying to much on the osteopath for what to do).

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
loudawg
(male)

loudawg HB User
Re: Curious- how many of us are in PT, seeing and osteopath or chiro?

Hi,
I see a TMJ Dentist (my 3rd) and Cranial Osteopath (recommended by my TMJ dentist). When I go for splint adjustments the Osteopath comes to the dentists office. He makes sure that the adjustment maintains the correct 'amplitude' for the cranium. They both feel that I'm a cranial-primary case and TMJ secondary. I think they are helping me, but progress is slow unlike a lot of other cases they have seen - I am guardedly optimstic.

I can let you know more specifics if you want. I think I've tried a lot of different approaches that you have also. My second TMJ person also worked w/ Chiro's but that treatment actually set me back.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your dentist sounds like mine then, because his first splint didn't work he sent me to an osteopath. I feel the first tmj dentist is the one who locked up my head bones with my jaw to far back and too much verticle. I've been doing this over a year. I have pressure in the R. temporal area, actually feels like a broken head (I know weird)

My osteo writes a note to my dentist, Thats neat your osto goes to your dentist with you. Now is your osteopath a DO and does she start work with your hips and works her way up to your head?

Did you have some head trauma or dental work that locked up your head bones? Do they tell you its your bite that locked up your bones?

Are you in an upper or lower splint? mine is a lower.
Your right its a very slow going process.

Last edited by luvtocamp; 09-12-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
loudawg
(male)

loudawg HB User

Hi,
Yes, my osteopath is a DO but only on occasion does he work with the sacrum. He mostly concentrates on the left side of my head which he says is jammed up. In specific, my TMJ is rotated left (discerned from my film) and jammed up with the sphenoid and temporal bone. Every time I see the osteopath he 'unjams' these, but within hours I feel the major symptoms come back. I too have a lot of pressure in the head face area on the left though.

My osteo thinks that my problems are a result of some sort of head trauma. I was in a minor car accident when I was 10 and slammed and cracked the windshield. I'm now 35 (2 years of major symptoms) so I sometimes have a hard time believing they are related. He does think the incorrect bite is one of the main things that perpetuate my symptoms - meaning he unsets the jam but the bad bite causes the bones to become jammed again.

I'm wearing an ALF (Advanced Lightwire Functional) which is a wire thing that puts slight pressure on the roof of the mouth. It's purpose in this case is to help hold the cranial adjustments that the osteopath makes. I also wear a lower splint - a pivot appliance. Basically its flat (not indexed) and allows my jaw to move around on its own to find the right spot. The adjustments are mainly done on the vertical dimension. Right now I have a huge amount of vertical which my TMJ dentist says I need to let the jaw joint muscles relax and heal a bit. He says when the symptoms calm down we will index the bite and then try to wean off the splint. All the while making sure the cranium is happy.

This all sounds great in theory, but what matters is how we feel. Yesterday I went for an splint adjustment and I've just feel woozy and off balance since though it seems my teeth seem to hit more evenly.

I like my current providers. Since seeing the osteo, my neck tension flare ups (where it feels like my neck is like a rock) have decreased significantly. And when he does an adjustment on my sphenoid / mandible I feel like I can breathe through my nose again. My TMJ dentist also considers different types of appliances. He understands the advantages of using the phonetic bite, pivot appliance, heavy indexing, ALF, or neuromuscular orthotic. He's not a one-size fits all dentist.

Even though I have huge respect for these guys, my progress remains slow and seems like an unsolvable math problem. I wonder if I should see a NUCCA because lots of people think these symptoms (dizziness, tinnitus, weird facial / head muscle issues) are a result of a misaligned atlas. Have you tried this? I guess I should talk to my TMJ / Osteo about this...

Anyhow, I've rambled... have you looked into an ALF? This appliance is supposed to be great for those of us with cranial problems and less actual TMJ issues (no major condyle damage).

Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

My osteo just pushes on the back of my head and my nose. How does yours work the sphnoid bone. I have an upper denture and my lower partial is flat now that works as the splint. I have a very low bite now for the last two months which is making my neck worst.

I have heard the alf is good for the cranial part but not an option for me. It does seem funny your accident of so many years ago is causing the problem now.

My osteo thinks my main problem is the cranial/atlas junction and I do have a nucca around 60 miles from me that does a lot of work with Merineres. I have also thought of prolotherapy. Either way I think my bite is so off now (really no bite cuz its so low) that its time to try new denture and if the osteo doesn't agree I may go to a denturist. I feel after over a year they should have this figured out.

I would have to think tho with the osteo and that that our atlas and c1 are balanced but not holding the adjustment so that is why I'm thinking prolo.

I've also been told that my upper denture is all wrong and that if the upper denture is not right, I'll never get better, but my dentist doesn't want to do anything till I"m 100% symptom free but I don't feel I will ever get that way without a decent bite.

Sometimes the more they mess with things I just feel the worst I get.

Oh what kind of xray did you get to show your sphnoid and temporal bone.

Last edited by luvtocamp; 09-12-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Exclamation Re: Curious- how many of us are in PT, seeing and osteopath or chiro?

How did Chiro set you back :S

Podiatrists are great for posture also.

Closed Thread