It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board

Bruxism and TMJ

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Bunker
(male)

Bunker HB User
Bruxism and TMJ

Hello everybody, I've noticed the compassionate and informed advice on this board and wonder if anybody could help me.

I recently fell into concrete and damaged my teeth. The dentist who worked on me noted that there was evidence of bruxism on my teeth. He suggested that I look into orthodontics (which I never have) to improve tooth alignment and possibly treat the bruxing. I am determined to stop grinding my teeth and avoid the possible development of traumatic conditions such as TMJ disorder but my understanding of the problem is very basic.

Is bruxing the sole cause of TMJ disorder or are matters more complicated?

Does anybody know of any successful treatments for teeth grinding, and possible prevention of TMJ in the future, through methods such as orthodontics?

Thank you for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
luvtocamp
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: Bruxism and TMJ

I think they give you a splint. My girlfriend has ground her teeth all the way down to the pulp, but she has no pain, but she wears a night splint now, but she says most of the time she doesn't wear it.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User

i honestly wouldn't bother doing anything unless you were in constant pain? As LTC had written her girlfriend wears it and her teeth are grinded REALLY bad.. i find that scary but true.. my doctor had said , well a lot had told me you can even get tmj if your bite etc is perfect and you can even not get tmj even with if your bite if off and everything.. so i guess the ones of us who are in pain well just are unlucky.

but from your thread there aren't any other symptoms you are suffering is there?

Let me know ? If theres not just leave fixing it.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Bunker
(male)

Bunker HB User

Thank you for responding.

There is sometimes slight fatigue in my lower jaw muscles after I wake up but there is no real pain to speak of. I'm in my early twenties and want to try and stop any problems I could encounter in the future. If treatment now will help me in the future I'll do it.

Were either of you told that grinding your teeth contributed to your TMJ?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
temera2
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Exclamation Re: Bruxism and TMJ

Yes i was told grinding was a cause and clenching but i don't believe it .. i think a structural problem caused my jaws displacement... theres a post which we speak of that i think clenching and grinding aggravates TMJ but does not cause it.

I'm 20 and so I'm not sure that maybe I'm developing or something? But we are both in the same age bracket and it seems to affect people in our age bracket...go check with your dentist and maybe just get a night time appliance for the time being.. be sure to get a x-ray .. i get constant earaches

Be sure to tell me your results,
God Bless

p.s in times of extra pain in the jaw sleep with a heatpack.. it will ease pain!

Closed Thread