It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

berriepie HB User
Operation to help with TMJ?

I've been experiencing TMJ for around 18 months now, tried the soft guard, ended up biting in to it. am now being fitted some sort of hard appliance (not sure of the name!). anyway, my TMJ basically comes from the fact my bottom jaw is "underdeveloped" meaning i have to position it slightly forwards to align with my top teeth. this tenses my jaw muscles, which tenses my neck and i get really bad headaches, earache etc. as you all know TMJ symptoms are widespread and affect many parts of your body.

i have fixed braces on my top teeth to close some gaps and bring them back a bit, i am also seeing a very nice ortho at the city;s Dental Hospital who by chance knows my own ortho and they are now in talks about what to do with me ! one thing they have suggested is an operation to move my lower jaw forwards to align properly, or more comfortably, so that i stop tensing throughout the day, thus helping my headaches! im not so fussed about the way my jaw looks, i look normal and its nothing anyone would notice other than an ortho!

sooooo my question is, operations - good or bad idea? ive read a couple of posts who say operations are an absolute last resort, although these operations seem to involve the jaw joint and cartilage etc where as mine is positioning.

has anyone ever had an operation? was it a success? i have just turned 19 years old and dont know if id regret it or not.

Last edited by berriepie; 10-06-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

gcuevee HB User
Re: Operation to help with TMJ?

I also have TMJ. I have a very narrow upper jaw and a very long lower jaw. I had to be in a Pain Splint, which sat on my bottom teeth for 2 months to rest my Jaw Muscles. I now have an appliance on my lower teeth to reposition my jaw, been wearing for 8 months. I will be getting another appliance called a Palatal Expander, which I may have to wear 8 to 12 months, then Braces for about a year and then he has to build up my molars. I'm having this done so I don't have to have Jaw Surgery. [removed] No Jaw Surgery for me!

[Do not post that you are working as a medical professional or working in that field. Please read the board guidelines for more details, by clicking the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 10-06-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
(female)

berriepie HB User

thanks for replying. in 2004 i was fitted retainers (removable brace) and one part of it was to move my jaw forwards but i just coudnt wear it. it was so sore, plus made my jaw stick out like 3 inches. i was 14/15 at the time and not experiencing any TMJ symptoms so didnt wear it. my ortho offered me the operation back then aswell but i turned it down. now i have these fixed braces on my upper teeth purely for appearance issues - to straighten my top teeth. i did say that perhaps if my front teeth were straight i would be less self concious about relaxing my jaw and letting my teeth show, because they would be nice and straight.

how is the appliance working for you? i am getting my new splint on october 22nd so i hope it helps me!

any body else had experience with corrective jaw surgery? much appreciated

Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

berriepie HB User

just wondering if anyone else has had corrective jaw surgery because of TMJ? i unfortunately missed my splint fitting for october 22nd and now have to wait until christmas eve to see my new Dr.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

There are some older posts in the Dental Problem forum that discuss orthognathic surgery to reposition the lower or upper jaw - maybe go there or do an advanced search on that forum under jaw surgery or orthognathic surgery, etc. I remember one in particular in which the member was quite frank and graphic about what was involved. Most people that do it are generally pleased with the results - but it usually requires the jaw be wired closed for a period of time to allow the bones to heal. Braces are usually required afterward to repositon the teeth.

Closed Thread