It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

sunflower8 HB User
Beauty out the window! Anyone else have major facial hollowness?

Hi everyone!

Iíve posed here a few times regarding the changes to my facial appearance. I just want to know if anyone else is in the same boat as meÖ

My jaw has been locked (right disc does not recapture) for 2.5 years and over that time my face has changed significantly (I am able to open around 30mm). I first noticed that the sides of my face sunk in and then my temple area soon followed. Over the past 7 months Iíve noticed that my upper cheek area, under my eyes has completely deflated. Now I am left with dark circles, loose/sagging skin, and no fat along side my nose (I looke tired and old!). I am 30 and definitely look like Iíve aged 15 years in a matter of 7 months! Fortunately, I do not have any pain and my biggest complaint aside from the changes in my face would be occasional neck stiffness/pain.

Iíve done TONS of research on line and of course I canít find any sites that talk about fat loss to face. All I can find is swollen jaw muscles!! Can anyone relate? I was actually starting to think about getting fat injected back into my cheeks so I look semi-healthy again. I canít even imagine what I am going to look like in another 2 years!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
(male)

Bryan84 HB User
Re: Beauty out the window! Anyone else have major facial hollowness?

Hey Sunflower,

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I've had TMD for a little over a year now, and it all began from wisdom teeth extractions. Ever since then I noticed my face has become drastically skinnier. My cheekbones are now very prominent, and like you, my cheeks and temple area are hallowing out (almost skeletal). Family and friends are worried that I'm losing an unhealthy amount of weight, but I can tell you right now that I actually gained 5 pounds since I was diagnosed. The reason I wasn't so worried about this is because I have also started long distance running since then (~30 miles/week) so I thought that may have been the contributing factor to my face thinning out.

Unlike you, however, I do have pain and soreness in my jaws, temples, neck and shoulders. I'm being treated at Tufts Craniofacial Pain Center, currently with a soft daily splint and an NTI at night. I also plan on seeing a Physical Therapist to loosen the multiple knots I have in my neck, shoulders and back.

Have you changed your diet or started exercising? This could be the reason you're losing face weight. Either way, I hope you don't have to resort to those fat injections...

-Bryan

The following user gives a hug of support to Bryan84:
Ponyo (10-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
(female)

sunflower8 HB User

Thank you so much for replying!!! I have always been athletic, haven't lost any weight and my diet has not changed at all...i am just more careful with what i eat. I stay away from hard candies, apples, gum and anything gooy.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

trudypippin HB User

Bryan - we have considered going to Tufts. How long have you been going there? Have you seen positive progress? What is a ballpark estimate for the cost of treament?

Sorry for all the questions.

And just to go to the original question, my friend has experienced a very deep hollowing of the cheeks over the last 6-8 months.

Last edited by trudypippin; 10-15-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
(female)

sunflower8 HB User

Bryan84,

Do you also have lock jaw?

The following user gives a hug of support to sunflower8:
Ponyo (10-23-2011)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
(male)

Bryan84 HB User

Trudy - I've only been going there for a couple months (3 visits total). The first time I went, they had me see doctors from a few disciplines. There were a couple professors, residents and a pain psychologist helping me. After speaking with them for about an hour or so they decided they would go with the lower soft splint and NTI. Before this, I was wearing a night guard and a hard upper splint. They also had me take a 2 hour biofeedback session with one of their technicians which went over posture, trigger points, and all that fun stuff which I'm sure you're familiar with already.

I'm not seeing significant improvement (yet), but with the complimenting physical therapy that I have my first appointment for tomorrow, I hope to see positive results. However, if the physical therapy doesn't work I don't know what route I plan on taking. I'm hoping the doctors at Tufts have plan B, C, D, and E for me but who knows. They did try prescribing me muscle relaxants after I told them I wasn't seeing improvement, which I promptly rejected because I've tried them before and they were no help.

As for the price, the NTI and lower splint were $550 a piece but my insurance covered most of that. The consult I believe was around $100 which ended up being a $20 copay for me and each subsequent visit after that was copaid as well. I'll try to keep you updated on how much they continue to charge me, but I haven't seen the most recent bills yet.

I highly recommend that you try them out though, as they are the most knowledgeable and studied doctors I've seen treating TMJ disorders so far. I've seen dentists, oral surgeons, orthodontist, and a neurologist.

I'm being careful not to miss anything, so sorry for the long post, all.

Sunflower - My jaw doesn't lock, but everytime I swallow I can hear a crunching or crackling sound coming from my ear/jaw area.

-Bryan

Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
(female)

sunflower8 HB User

Thanks for posting all that info about Tufts....I also live in the Boston area. My TMJ dentist is Dr. Steven Tonelli in North Reading. I wear a splint on my lower teeth and had it adjusted many times over a course of a year. My joints are stable and haven't changed in over a year. So, i do not need to see him again unless something changes.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
(female)

trudypippin HB User

Bryan, thanks so much for all the info. We are considering seeing someone who wants $4000 for the workup and another $2000 for the appliance so what you have shared is very promising. Something really to think about!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

My face has changed just like you described, although I have lost 15 lbs since this started, I was more attributing it to that. I also feel like I aged many years, your not alone.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
(female)

trudypippin HB User

Hey Bryan - Can you describe your NTI for me a little bit? Is it soft or hard, does it have any kind of ramp / tooth pattern to hold the jaw still when you sleep? Thanks for any info you can give.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
(male)

Bryan84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudypippin View Post
Hey Bryan - Can you describe your NTI for me a little bit? Is it soft or hard, does it have any kind of ramp / tooth pattern to hold the jaw still when you sleep? Thanks for any info you can give.
The NTI that I use is hard plastic with acrylic molding to fit my two upper middle teeth. It doesn't exactly hold the jaw still, but it does have a "ramp"-like lower half which I think is supposed to keep the jaw steady while you attempt to grind. The thing is, I never used to grind very much even before the appliance so it doesn't have a significant impact on my recovery, but for someone who does grind, I highly recommend it.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
(female)

trudypippin HB User

Thanks - grinding isn't the issue but keeping the jaw still while sleeping is so that's a good answer!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
(female)

trudypippin HB User

Hi Bryan I'm back again. Did you have problems scheduling your first appointment with Tufts? We've been trying for a week now and can't get anyone to return phone calls or emails. We are really getting frustrated. How hard is it to say what's available and I'll take it?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
(male)

Bryan84 HB User

Trudy,

I don't think I had much difficulty at all when I first tried contacting them. I spoke with the office manager - I think her name is Roberta Davidson and had no trouble making my first appointment. Maybe you were just reaching them at a bad time? I hope they respond to you soon.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
(female)

trudypippin HB User

Bryan - Success finally! We have an appt for the 24th of November.

Closed Thread