It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

sophiapanda HB User
why is my neck crackling?

why is my neck crackling?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User
Re: why is my neck crackling?

My neck cracks too from all of this, after seeing two neuro surgeons they say they don't think the problem is my neck but the tight neck muscles from the bite, so if your neck muscles are tight this can cause cracking in the neck I guess. Get a neck xray at least or a mri to rule out a neck problem. i so have osteophytes and a few bulges but nothing they say is causing the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

I would get a neck xray or MRI as well - at least to confirm no real major problem. I tend to think the neck cracks b/c of undue force or pressure it is enduring either due to muscle dysfunction or an improperly positioned lower jaw. Supposedly there is an optimal alignment of the atlas and axis (c1 and c2) with the chin, jaws and sphenoid bone - and when these are not aligned correctly - instead of working together - they work against each other and result in subluxation or misalignment - and the cracking is a signal of that. I doubt medical drs would agree with that theory - they only look for physical abnormalities like pinched nerves, bulging or herniated discs, bone spurs, arthritis (degenerative changes in the joints or discs). The best thing that helped with my chronic and frequent neck cracking was seeing a really good chiro trained in upper cervical or cranial disorders.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 11-04-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
(female)

sophiapanda HB User

I just went to my neurologist today and asked him if I should get an X-ray or mri and he was very quick to say that I didn't need that. He says its inflamed nerves in my neck. I don't think he even knows how to get rid of it because the really expensive cortisone shots he gave me didn't help at all. I'm so frustrated! The crackling in my neck happens EVERY time I turn my head left or right. Its like nails on a chalkboard! Whats even worse is that I get severe migraines EVERY DAY. I've been searching and searching the Internet and find a lot of people with the same symptoms, but no solutions.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

It could also be from arthritis in your neck.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
(male)

Arzenal HB User

I had neck crackling with my TMJ disorder also. Its crackling because the muscles in your neck are tight and pulling on the verterbrae.

You need to find a way to relax your neck muscles. I went to a store and bought a neck massager, which helps. I also went to a pharmacy and bought some of those warm neck wraps and used them as much as I could. They help a lot.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

A neck massage is always a good thing too.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

My neck cracks as well. The frequency of my neck cracks have slowed but instead traveled to my right shoulder. It cracks whenever I move it. Mine is due to a misalligned c1 so my whole body right now is off center and acting funny.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
(female)

lindy23 HB User

ALL of my joints pop all of the time, especially my neck and back. They do not always hurt, sometimes it is a relief. When my jaw pops it only hurts sometimes. I have gotten tested for arthritis, but I do not have it. I am 23 and my body sounds like an old grandmaw! I haven't mentioned this to my TMJ doctor, because I always forget and I don't really see how it would help. Now, I am wondering if this is related to my TMJ?

The main reason my dentist said I have problems in my jaw joints is because my bottom jaw is over-developed, and I have a bad bite. But even before my jaw overgrew and started hurting, it always popped.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
(male)

loudawg HB User

I have the same cracking in the neck and back. When I'm changing lanes and look back it cracks. When I roll over in bed at night my neck or back cracks. It definitely feels related to the neck and back tension that I have in general which is somehow related to the jaw. When I have tremendous back / neck tension sometimes I will eat something and the chewing will relieve the tension a bit. Sounds crazy but it's true...
I'm considering NUCCA still...
-Loudawg

Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

My neck has finally stopped cracking with every move I make - at one point it was cracking whether I was moving or turning my head or just sitting still or sometimes while trying to sleep - sometimes the cracking (and occassionally popping) would result in a tremor down my spine and sometimes I had an instant sense of "relief" in the neck and shoulder areas but then the pressure would just build up again a few minutes later. Now it cracks occassionally and its definitely not as tight or strained. I would definitely suggest those with this problem search under NUCCA or ICAK for a chiro or ask your tmj dr for a referral to one.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #12
(male)

daveccarsley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelma-Louise View Post
My neck has finally stopped cracking with every move I make - at one point it was cracking whether I was moving or turning my head or just sitting still or sometimes while trying to sleep - sometimes the cracking (and occassionally popping) would result in a tremor down my spine and sometimes I had an instant sense of "relief" in the neck and shoulder areas but then the pressure would just build up again a few minutes later. Now it cracks occassionally and its definitely not as tight or strained. I would definitely suggest those with this problem search under NUCCA or ICAK for a chiro or ask your tmj dr for a referral to one.

I know your post was a long time ago but, I was wondering if you have found any kind of answer to your crackling sound in your neck. I have had this for the epast 2 or 3 months now and have no idea what is causing it. It is the worst when I walk but any movement of any part of my body pretty much does it. Its really annoying. I'm 24 and otherwise healthy. I recently took a promotion at work which pretty much ties me to my desk all day with little chance to get up and move. Maybe this has something to do with it. Im not sure. i have had CT's and MRI's and seen a chiro and gotten massages. Nothing seems to help. I was just wondering how yours has turned out. Thanks in advance

Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

My neck hasn't cracked in quite awhile. It used to crack everytime I moved it and drove me nuts. Acupuncture helps. I have arthritis in my neck.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
(female)

dippidingo HB User

Sounds like you have Cervical Spondylosis. I have it and my neurologist says it is. Do you get a sharp click? When I turn my head to the right, often I get crackling in the neck, but sometimes if you click your third finger and thumb together really loudly, that's what it sounds like, and at the same time a "puff of air" sensation happens in my right eye! I should get it checked by a neurologist if I were you. Good luck, and talk to me whenever you want. Take care.

Closed Thread