It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

realistikk HB User
tight feeling or feeling of mucus in throat

Hey

Ever since i got TMJ every few months i get this tight feeling in my throat...almost like a choking feeling. or i get the "hard to swallow" feeling, but its more like mucus wont go down, but food will. i havent had this since last november, so im thinking maybe its the cold weather? (i moved to rhode island last year its freezing!!) and it seems to happen when its cold...but i never had anything like this until TMJ-i know whiplash can cause spasms, my tmj doc thinks thats what this is, but it changes in feeling a lot..sometimes a bump feels like its there or sometimes just a feeling of tightness like a turtlneck sweater. anyone have this? I just want to hear how you guys cope.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User
Re: tight feeling or feeling of mucus in throat

Although I am not saying it may not be linked to tmj - as it ceratinly can be for a number of different reasons (jaw is pushed backwards, muscle tightness, loss of vertical dimension or height, change in bite, neck alignment, etc) other medical issues like a throid problem or even strep thoat can cause similar symptoms so maybe you should get a med checkup to rule out other medical conditions. Does your mouth feel very dry as well?

To cope with it - assuming it is from the tmj, perhaps try a muscle relaxer med or jaw and neck exercises.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
(female)

lindy23 HB User

What you are describing could be a cold, sinus or allergy symptom. Since you moved, you are exposed to different allergens. However, I do have to say since I first had TMJ, I cannot wear anything on my neck. No necklaces, turtlenecks and even an mp3 wire sometimes will bother me. My neck muscles are already tight and it seems that when something touches my skin, it makes my muscles tighten up more. I feel like I am choking and sometimes makes me throw up.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
(male)

loudawg HB User

Hi realistikk,
I have throat issues as well, but a little different than yours. I feel tightness in the back of the throat and when I open and close I hear this clicking sound. It's not joint clicking but more like Eustachian tube / throat muscle clicking. Hard to describe, but I let my doctors hear it and they are baffled as well.

Like everyone else said, you should cover all your bases and get it checked out separately by an ear nose throat doc and maybe even an allergist. But I have read many descriptions of TMJ that include throat tightness and difficulty swallowing.
-Loudawg

Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
(female)

CaydenJ HB User

I had that problem too in the beginning when my spinal arch went flat. It came and went each time I felt a shift in my body allignement. I don't get it anymore because a lot of the arch came back but it's a major reason why I quit smoking. Smoking creates more mucus + the tight throat mucus in throat feeling = too much mucus to bear with.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
(female)

realistikk HB User

thank you all so much for your answers. really glad that others can relate.

i went to the doctor and he thinks its pharngytis which too me is starnge, i dont feel sick at all, i just feel choked up like im going to cry. i feel better now just reading this post 'cuz you guys all sound like youve had something like this already. its really just knowing that its not serious that makes me feel better. i get anxious when i think "what if"

i know ive had a history of post nasal drip and thats why sometimes i wake up with a feeling of choking/coughing sometimes. so i gues the tmj just aggrevated it, and the cold weather.

thelma louise- I do have a dry throat, esp. when i get nervous, i get cotton mouth. and of course worrying about it makes it even tighter. yuck.

i totally know what you mean about wearing a turtleneck..i could not put anything on my neck right now.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
(female)

realistikk HB User

update, I went to the dr today and he told me i most likely have globus, which is basically usually caused by a muscle spasm in the neck. Its also caused by stress. I didnt do the "fiberoptic tube thru the nose" test, which can look into the throat, but I will one day if this continues. Im happy he told me that he was pretty sure it was globus, and nothing serious. Now im not as freaked out.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
(female)

Barrysangel HB User

I have this also and sometimes I throw up with it. Its very aggravating.
Also I have a big knot in the roof of my mouth and that bothers me a lot.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
(female)

realistikk HB User

i get a gagging feeling too, i havent thrown up it feels like a tickle. i am taking magnesium (cal mag vitamin) which does help muscle spasms.. which seems to help, if i get any useful info ill let yall know.

Closed Thread