UCSF dental school has a TMJ clinic headed by Dr. Charles McNeill. Dr. Greg Goddard is his associate. They have both written extensively about TMJ. I was told that they have patients who travel from all over California to see them.
The most knowledgeable TMJ dentist that I've come across is Dr. Randolph Miller in Campbell. I've seen 3 TMJ dentists and he is my 3rd. While he hasn't been able to bring me back to 100% (yet?!?!) - he seems to have the deepest knowledge about the various TMJ approaches. He understands that most approaches are effective in 85% of patients while the other 15% (in which I fall) take some serious problem solving. I may end up moving to another dentist someday... but so far he's been the best.
If you want more information on other TMJ dentists I've seen in the bay area, let me know.
My wife is suffering from wrong occlusion/TMJ. Thanks for reference. We already set up appointment with Dr. Miller.
Our experience with Dr. Charles McNeill was not positive. I would appreciate negative refernces as well as positive.
This is a message for kkl. I am sorry to hijack this post but I am trying to get in touch with one of the respondents. kkl: I read your post concerning bone loss in the mouth with no periodontal disease. I am suffering from the same condition. I am looking for answers and was hoping you could help. You can email me if you would like or start a new post concerning this. I would appreciate any information from you. I am desperate. Thanks so much!
I saw Dr. Terecita Dean in Alameda (she also has an SF office) a number of years ago. She seemed very good and very thorough (she is not just a dentist but also a naturopathic doctor and a craniosacral therapist), but my insurance didn't cover hardly any of the treatment so I didn't go back.