It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

temera2 HB User
Question A VERY contradicting question for us all! Please answer friends!!

Hey everyone!

I have an interesting question as i have been told conflicting knowledge.. as you may know i had a displaced disk which got fixed with my double block splints however my ear still hurts which i am told is because my jaw keeps going off central and creates muscle spasms!

However we are told not to eat hard things , chew , yawn wide and rest our jaws however my neurologist had said my muscles probably hurt which in turn creates earaches as they are now incredibly weak! Thus since i hardly chew alot etc. the muscle is weak so it spasms more however when if i eat chewy it still spasms so i have no idea what the right advice is??? Shall we rest it or not?

Do you guys know?? As if i dont exercise my jaw muscles i'm scared ill have earaches forever however i'm scared to wear them out as i am told conflicting things!!

What do you guys think!??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
(male)

baseballguy HB User
Re: A VERY contradicting question for us all! Please answer friends!!

I have been thinking about the same thing. My jaw pops all the time and I relax it as much as I can but every day I do one exercise that goes like this. First I open my jaw 10 times without resistance. But not too wide. I can still reach the top of my mouth with my tongue. Then I do it 10 times with my hand under the jaw as resistance. Try to open it straight.

My dentist told me that exercise.

I am as worried as you. I know if I dont use the jaw at all my muscles will disappear and that is bad and if I use it too much I may wear out the discs if that is not alreadt done.
Except that exercise I try to use my jaw as little as possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread