It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

violet89 HB User
anterior displacement without reduction

Hi everyone

I have posted a fair bit about my closed lock, and was hoping that if anyone else has the same condition that they can reply.
Basically I never had any jaw pain/clicking before my mouth locked & I'm currently not in pain. I have a very limited mouth opening. My displacement was caused by long term bruxism ie clenching & grinding. I have had the lock for 2.5 months

I have currently been on a soft diet & wearing a full arch splint. The dentist said the splint is purely to protect my teeth & that there is no way to help my disc displacement. He said 'just live with it'.

I have seen a dentist who suggested an NTI type splint, but I'm quite hesitant to try it especially as the dentist didnt seem to have practical experience as he kept saying it was a muscular problem. He didnt seem to have had patients in the past with a closed lock.
I recently saw another dentist & he said that he wants to alter my current splint. It would basically be teh same ie cover all top teeth but it would be thicker on the areas that cover the molars. He said that having an open mouth will allow the joint jaw to rest. But in the mornings the joint may feel 'off' and need to wriggle it a bit to get the joint to go back. I'm quite wary of this & don't know if this is dangerous. Also he said he wants to get an MRI before he can say for sure its a disc displacement & before he starts treatment. He said a combination of physio would probably be helpful.

What types of splints are commonly used for displacement without reduction?

Thanks

Last edited by violet89; 04-02-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
(male)

baseballguy HB User
Re: anterior displacement without reduction

I think physical therapy can help you. Things like heat, ice, acupuncture, ultra sound etc.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB UserThelma-Louise HB User

There are various splints to be sure but I believe - and everyone can correct me on this if they know otherwise - that pushing the lower jaw down and forward - or as your dentist stated - opening the bite by increasing the vertical dimension should allow the discs to slip back in place. NTIs can be used to do this but most find they also may cause an open anterior bite where the front teeth no longer meet - and that this then needs to be corrected with braces or equilibration of the molars although some just continue to wear their NTI only not as often and the open anterior bite is not addressed - and for some it does not present a problem.

Last edited by Thelma-Louise; 04-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

violet89 HB User

Hi Thelma Louise

I'm very grateful for all your responses to me on this forum..
I don't really understand how by having an open mouth position, how the disc will go back. Basically the dentist said that teh disc should be at the 12 oclock position, but for me it has moved forward so my jaw joint can only do the first rotation ie the 20mm opening and can't fully extend.

It seems quite harmful that my joint would move out of the socket & that in the mornings I may have to 'wriggle' it back into place if I were to wear the splint he recommends. I don't have any clicking etc issues, so I'm worried this could start a whole new lot of problems.

Also I don't really understand how an 'open bite' happens from some splints.

Thanks

Last edited by violet89; 04-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
(male)

baseballguy HB User

I have been told the exact same thing. If I keep my teeth apart during the day the disc will be in the best position to heal. That is why my mouth guard I have while sleeping is fat too, because when my teeth touch each other the disc doesnít get any space.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
(female)

violet89 HB User

Hi baseballguy

Do you also have anterior disc displacement without reduction. What does your splint look like? Upper or lower & does it cover all your teeth. How thick?
I'm currently waiting on my MRI results for a proper diagnosis..but I don't think my splint can be that thick anyway cos my mouth only opens 17mm. The Dr did warn that the joint may feel a bit 'out' & may need to wiggle jaw in the mornings becuase the joint is more open..does that happen to you....did your Dr warn of any risks. What's the actual name of your splint type?

Thanks!!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
(male)

baseballguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet89 View Post
Hi baseballguy

Do you also have anterior disc displacement without reduction. What does your splint look like? Upper or lower & does it cover all your teeth. How thick?
I'm currently waiting on my MRI results for a proper diagnosis..but I don't think my splint can be that thick anyway cos my mouth only opens 17mm. The Dr did warn that the joint may feel a bit 'out' & may need to wiggle jaw in the mornings becuase the joint is more open..does that happen to you....did your Dr warn of any risks. What's the actual name of your splint type?

Thanks!!
What I know is that my jaw joints are not in the position they should. The position they were in before I hurt my jaw.

Therefore they pop when I use my jaw in different ways. I have not taken any X-rays but they have told me they will think about it and I hope they will take X-rays because I am sure then they will see something and they will understand I am in pain and don’t just whine.

At least it seem like they have specified much more what exactly is wrong with you.

This is not my splint but it looks like this: [removed]

I have only one and I have it only when I sleep. I have it on my upper teeth. I don’t know if it cover all my upper teeth but I think so.

I wish I lived in an English speaking country so I could quote what the doctors tell me but I don’t so I can not say what the name of the splint is in English.

It is maybe 7 mm thick.

[Do not link pictures per the board guidelines. To read about this and the other rules, please click the "Posting Policy" above. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 04-19-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Closed Thread