It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
(male)

PhilinCal HB User
Help please. Need advice. New case.

Hi all,
4 weeks ago I noticed clicking in my left tmj area. I saw my dentist who declared it was "crepitis" even though he had no x-rays to view. Said he could make a nightguard...saw a maxillofacial surgeon who said he could make a splint to open joint space to allow healing at night...I asked him about repositioning. He said my disc was damaged and I was screwed.

Bottom line is I am getting nowhere with these people and I am worried. My right side has begun to click too. Here are my symptoms:

Left side clicks on very slight opening and side to side movement. Right side is beginning to do same. When it started my muscles were tight due to stress of situation, but not now. I can eat without pain but major clicking. This all came on after a stressful time in my life...but I do not believe I grind or clench at night. I did buy a storebought mouthguard and used for a couple of weeks.

What can I do NOW to manage this so I can be around to see my kids grow up? I would like to hear from anyone dealing with this and what they have done to manage their symptoms. I understand there isn't much that can be done and I won't consider surgery.

I have stopped chewing gum, try to sleep on back/side, etc. Sometimes I wake up and jaw seems to really grind (prob due to bad sleep position with jaw out of whack...this scares the **** outa me). My spouse thinks I am whining...but she hasn't read this board.

Had x-rays done which showed "normal" bones. I am going to try and have an MRI done soon. Can clicking like this be anything else other than a displaced disc?? My teeth are a bit sensitive at times during day, mostly front teeth, and bite seems to be normal as well.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much!

Last edited by PhilinCal; 05-24-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Re: Help please. Need advice. New case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinCal View Post
Hi all,
4 weeks ago I noticed clicking in my left tmj area. I saw my dentist who declared it was "crepitis" even though he had no x-rays to view. Said he could make a nightguard...saw a maxillofacial surgeon who said he could make a splint to open joint space to allow healing at night...I asked him about repositioning. He said my disc was damaged and I was screwed.

Bottom line is I am getting nowhere with these people and I am worried. My right side has begun to click too. Here are my symptoms:

Left side clicks on very slight opening and side to side movement. Right side is beginning to do same. When it started my muscles were tight due to stress of situation, but not now. I can eat without pain but major clicking. This all came on after a stressful time in my life...but I do not believe I grind or clench at night. I did buy a storebought mouthguard and used for a couple of weeks.

What can I do NOW to manage this so I can be around to see my kids grow up? I would like to hear from anyone dealing with this and what they have done to manage their symptoms. I understand there isn't much that can be done and I won't consider surgery.

I have stopped chewing gum, try to sleep on back/side, etc. Sometimes I wake up and jaw seems to really grind (prob due to bad sleep position with jaw out of whack...this scares the **** outa me). My spouse thinks I am whining...but she hasn't read this board.

Had x-rays done which showed "normal" bones. I am going to try and have an MRI done soon. Can clicking like this be anything else other than a displaced disc?? My teeth are a bit sensitive at times during day, mostly front teeth, and bite seems to be normal as well.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much!
Wow--our cases could read almost identical to each other...although, I've known I've had tmj for about 17 yrs. without horrible symptoms til now.(this Feb.) I think for now the best thing you can do is interview different doc. and make sure that their practice involves at least 40% tmj work. Also, don't ever wear a store bought guard. They are crap. If you are grinding and clenching at night, chances are that is causing all the troubles. Try to find a good doc. and have them make you a nighttime appliance and see if this helps. Take advil for pain, and do as much research as you can . I know the symptoms can be horrifying, as I too have the same....Any questions, pm me back and I'll see if I can help. J.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
(female)

nessie01 HB User

hi
im so with ya...........im new to all this and you will see by my post that im extremellllly stressed about this whole thing to..............but i believe that your sugeon is a idiot to say that you are stuffed!!! i beleive that there is something that will help you and myself..........im getting a night splint made to rest the jaw, and if this dosnt work then i am going to get a repostional splint which from what i have read can still HELP people with no discs as it makes the jaw go into the correct place and take the stress of the muscles which causes the most pain!!!....................anyway get a night spint first and see if it helps.............my dentist said EVERYONE in the world clenches and grinds its normal but its not normal when its goes from normal to severe clenching and you dont no that you are doing it when you sleep cause you are asleep lol....i no i clench as i have woken up with my teeth stuck together lol..........

anyway get some relief, ice and heat, google for some body stretches to ease the tension in your body too..........im going for antidepressent to which may also help with the pain!

hope this helps a little...............dont give up i had a baddddddddd day yesterday which is why i posted a very down post but im back up and ready to fight to win!!
luv ness

Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
(female)

inkypoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessie01 View Post
hi
im so with ya...........im new to all this and you will see by my post that im extremellllly stressed about this whole thing to..............but i believe that your sugeon is a idiot to say that you are stuffed!!! i beleive that there is something that will help you and myself..........im getting a night splint made to rest the jaw, and if this dosnt work then i am going to get a repostional splint which from what i have read can still HELP people with no discs as it makes the jaw go into the correct place and take the stress of the muscles which causes the most pain!!!....................anyway get a night spint first and see if it helps.............my dentist said EVERYONE in the world clenches and grinds its normal but its not normal when its goes from normal to severe clenching and you dont no that you are doing it when you sleep cause you are asleep lol....i no i clench as i have woken up with my teeth stuck together lol..........

anyway get some relief, ice and heat, google for some body stretches to ease the tension in your body too..........im going for antidepressent to which may also help with the pain!

hope this helps a little...............dont give up i had a baddddddddd day yesterday which is why i posted a very down post but im back up and ready to fight to win!!
luv ness

Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
(female)

inkypoo HB User

hi me too i wish to have a better life

Old 06-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

inkypoo HB User

I have had so many surgeries I could just stand on a mountain scream

Old 06-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #7