It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
(female)

nessie01 HB User
I feel like I'm the only one with severe TMJ

hi i have developed severeTMJ which is getting worse by the minute!!!

im now having chronic all over body pain as well from this tmj!!! its unbalancing my whole body............my jaw hurts myhead hurts, my face is tingly..........i feel like *(&(*&(*& and im so over it.

im waiting for a night splint but cant imagine how much it will help...

i cant take any medication either as i have a medical condition that causes me a great deal of pain if i take any decent pain meds.....so no pain meds so in pain still and im not sure how to cope.............we are trying to get preggie as well with our first and i cant put this off cause im 38 and want to be a mum more than anything......im so sad and i hurt so much

im seeing a neurpmuscular therapist and have seen and osteoapth but need to go back.........i use heat and ice and do all over body stretches to relieve th tension, take homeopathics, take magniusium and fish oil for anitinflamortory............i no i will get better but when!!!!!!!!

im thinking that im going to have to fly out of town to see a neuro dentist but thats more money on top of the treatment which we have to pay for,, i no that my right disc is out of place! so need to get this repostioned

im just so down and i cant stop crying.........is there any hope
ness

Old 06-01-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
(female)

AndreaL HB User
Re: i feel like im the only one with svere TMJ

Hi Ness *hugs* you sound like you need them!

I am sorry that you're in so much pain and you feel alone, I too have days where I feel alone because no one around me (family or friends) understands what it's like. You're not alone though, I hope that the people on these forum boards can be of some support to you.

I (think) I can give you some hope, because the only time I felt a lot better from my TMJD symptoms was when I was pregnant, I was around 2 months pregnant when my jaw really freed up and I was able to enjoy eating my food again, finding it easier to chew. I actually felt at my most healthiest ever whilst I was pregnant, so for those 7 months at least I had some relief. Unfortunately though the TMJD symptoms did return soon after having my little girl.

Good luck with TTC! And I hope you can get some osteopath treatment again and that it helps you. I think TMJD is such a frustrating disorder because it seems to be complex for dentists to know best how to treat it, but remember you're not alone and don't give up hope, there's always hope.

Andrea x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

armanigurl143 HB User
Re: I feel like I'm the only one with severe TMJ

i know exactly how your feeling if it helps i am so depressed i feel like everyone thinks im crazy because i am literally in pain 24/7 with like 1000 diff symptoms i get a new one everyday and also going through this i have obtained severe health anxiety flipping out over evry little pain i get because i just cant take it my head hurts everyday thats one symptom that sticks around all of the others just come and go everyday i feel hopeless at times like im always gunna be this way but i just have to stay posotive and pray things get better for me soon im only 20 and feel like im 90 no joke but i will say my prayers for you i hope you get yours figured out soon...

Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

No, your not alone. What do you think caused your tmj, dental work, braces, acciden't, etc?

Sounds like your doing all the right stuff. fish oil and mag and lot of vit C. also.

I find it interesting when I read that some people feel better when they are PG, I wonder how much hormones do have a role in this.

anyway, I have been thru osteopath, pt, chiro, etc, a few dentist, and I am going to have NCR-neuro cranial restructiong done in a few days, as I feel at this point most of mine is cranial connected. If that doesn't help I'll try prolotherapy. I wear dentures so after my NCR I will have new ones made.

I sometimes feel that traveling out of town for a dentist might just add stress, isn't there anyone near you that can help. Also have your family doctor do all lab work to rule out other things, and have you tried Valium or soma a muscle relaxer?

From what I've read many people have displaced disc and don't have pain. I just don't know why some of us do and other people have terrible bites, no teeth, bad postures, are on bad diets and also have no pain. None of it makes much sense to me.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
(female)

nessie01 HB User

hay thanks everyone its great to have your support!!!...........
my tmj started because i have pelvis imbalances and i have researched and have found a strong link of this to TMJ, also extremmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy stressed person which added to the fire...........i have had lots of dental work couple years ago when i took all my almagam out for white fillings........but im sure that this was not the problem as my dentist did not stress my jaw and spent ages insuring each filing was correct for my bite..plus the dentist i see now said that my bite is great except for a slight imbalance in a crown and top tooth that may need to be files a little..

anyway i have appoint ment tomo with my dentist so will ask him a million questions which i have written down so i wont forget............also on monday have appoimtn with docotor im going to get on to cilitropram whcih is an antdepressent which i so need to calm myself down and i will get a refereal to a pain management doctor while i sort myself out.........i am finding that improbuen is helping...............i no the antidepressent is safe for preganacy as i no someone who was on it, i have been on it in the past and ihad no effects and it helped heaps................i wonder if i stayed on it if i wouldof avoided the whole tmj thing..............anyway if i do have to fly to see a tmj spec dentist i will do it!!! i want to be one of the ones who improve and either get full healing or get to an acceptable and manageable stage......i m making appoinm to see my osteo as well.......

thanks everyone its good but sad to see everyone as bad as me.........good for support bad for anyone dealing with this..........
are you all on splints night/day?

hope we are all pain freee soon
ness

Last edited by nessie01; 06-01-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB UserJill 227 HB User
Smile Re: I feel like I'm the only one with severe TMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanigurl143 View Post
i know exactly how your feeling if it helps i am so depressed i feel like everyone thinks im crazy because i am literally in pain 24/7 with like 1000 diff symptoms i get a new one everyday and also going through this i have obtained severe health anxiety flipping out over evry little pain i get because i just cant take it my head hurts everyday thats one symptom that sticks around all of the others just come and go everyday i feel hopeless at times like im always gunna be this way but i just have to stay posotive and pray things get better for me soon im only 20 and feel like im 90 no joke but i will say my prayers for you i hope you get yours figured out soon...
I know what you feel like when you say you're 90. I've been joking with my husband lately that pretty soon i'll qualify for a senior discount at the movies.. Anyways, two things that help a lot for spasms, take 200mg-500mg of magnesium with 2-3 advils, the mag. acts as a muscle relaxant. Also, find a good massage therapist who is very familiar in treating people with tmj related spasms, they will literally cut your muscular pain by 30-50% if you get the massages often. Expensive, but well worth the $$..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

tj707 HB User

No you're not the only one. When I was younger, I had severe TMJ. I went to dentists, and orthodontists, who wanted to put me in braces. Other dentists told me that braces wouldn't help the problem, and they recommended that I go to see an prosthodontist. The prosthodontist made me a night splint from a mold of my teeth. It was a great lifesaving event. I also read a book about TMJ, which had some stretching exercises I could do everyday. I had to bend my head forward and to the sides, etc.... Also I tried massaging my temples and jaw bones. Acupuncture was a real lifesaver also if you don't mind being poked with little needles. I got acupuncture about two or three times, then I was good to go for about one year. I had to go back after one year because it wore off so to speak, but for one year of relief, it was a good deal. Also I had to stop eating any kind of hard food including candy and nuts. Those will really hurt you in terms of TMJ. I hope this helps anyone who has TMJ and doesn't know what to do.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
(female)

nessie01 HB User

thanks tj707
glad to here the night splint worked for you.im picking mine up tomorr so fingers crossed...........if i only get 50% better im happy!!!

Closed Thread