It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

leeditt HB User
might have TMJ? Who can help?

Hello there,

I am brand new to this site and came across this TMJ forum and thought someone might be able to help me.

My doctor thinks I might have slight TMJ and a tension headache and I was wondering if anyone could confirm in their own opinion if TMJ could be causing my problems and how I can fix it. Here's my symptoms:

-forehead headache (dull, achy, "burny", continuous)
-back/side head pain (both sides. scalp feels sore)
-lots of pressure/tightness in ears and jaw area
-sore teeth
-sore mouth (hurts to eat sometimes)
-head just feels like it's being squeezed alot

Mostly I've just had this continuous non-stop headache in my forehead and back/sides of head for 3 1/2 weeks straight. sleeping is fine, it's just all day, every day, continuous, dull headachy, and pressure in the ears/jaw area.

Could this all be from TMJ? I've never grinded my teeth, and my husband can verify this. Nothing too stressful in my life right now, nothing new or unusual going on.

I am planning on seeing a physical therapist as soon as they call me back, so maybe they can help? Should i try to see a dentist too?

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

-Leeann

Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

leeditt HB User
Re: might have TMJ? Who can help?

Oh and I haven't had ANY dental work done, never have in my life (not braces or anything). And no head injuries- never even suffered from headaches before these past three weeks...

-Leeann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
(female)

janiejay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeditt View Post
Oh and I haven't had ANY dental work done, never have in my life (not braces or anything). And no head injuries- never even suffered from headaches before these past three weeks...

-Leeann
I had a severe pain in my jaw when I would bite down. I saw my dentist who did diagnose as TMJ. What he recommended was for about a week to eat soft foods than to stay away from foods such as hard nuts, or anything which required me to bite down with some force to chew. My culprit had been almonds. He told me Advil, etc., would help because the "hinge" in my jaw had become inflamed and to use a warm cloth on it several times a day. I did eat soft foods and I have not bitten down on any hard nuts (pretzels) since. The pain was gone in about a week. What TMJ really is, is an inflammation of the joint in your jaw from over-use and is readily "cured" with simple things and taking Advil, or other OTC anti-inflammation drug for several days. It hurts, for real, though!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
(female)

janiejay HB User

I have had very similar symptoms...mine was due to a sinus and ear infection. I constantly had a headache, a neckache and at night I would feel pain in the side of my head. I finally did see a doctor and he prescribed Levaquin 500 mg for 10 days; took at least 7 before I saw any improvement....and I took a prescription decongestant...I started having unbelievable thick drainage from my head and that took a couple of weeks before the thick drainage ended, but the headache, ear ache, random pains are gone. By the way, I was not running a temp, so did not think it was an infection but I walked around several months with this headache which would never go away.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

leeditt HB User

Thanks for the reply JanieJay,

Unfortunately, the first doctor I saw prescribed me anti biotics for a sinus infection, and it didn't help at all with the headaches or pressure. My GP said she doesn't think it is the sinuses at all. Especially because I have no drainage. She doesn't think I need to get CT scan or anything either.

Anyone else have experience with the symptoms I listed below? Do you think it could be TMJ or simply a tension headache?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Closed Thread